Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB

shoulder squeeze problem

i just got my first 11ft hammock and it is a 11ft argon hammock from dutch, the hammocks i had before was the grand trunk skeeter beeter pro and then an ENO DN. I'm having issue with shoulder squeeze in the 11ft and i'm not sure how to resolve it. the only 2 trees in my backyard is about 17ft across and i didn't have the should squeeze with the ENO from the trees. at first i had the ENO atlas straps about 6 1/2ft high and then i lowered the straps maybe a foot and still had shoulder squeeze. i have a 110in fixed ridge line that i also got from dutch.

I change the location that the hammock attached to the atlas straps at both height settings and still had the same amount of shoulder squeeze. the only thing that took it away was not lay at such a diagonal as i was but when i did that it wasn't a flat lay. i'm 5ft tall and about 205.

Is the problem i'm having because the trees are to far apart, even though it was fine with the shorter ENO DN with a 90" ridge line?? when i set the 11ft dutch hammock up the ridgeline is tight but not over tight when i laying in it.

thanks for your help
    SE

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I have found that with longer hammocks, I need a lot more sag. Try yours without the ridge line attached and play with the angles of the straps and lengths of your whoopie slings. I also use adjustable ridge lines on my hammocks to play with the amount of sag.
    At your height and weight, you may also try moving your body closer to the foot end.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Is there any way you could get someone to take photos of you in the hammock? That would probably help in diagnosing the issue. I've got an 11-footer from Dutchware and love it (slept in it last night, matter of fact). As a first step, I'd take the ridgeline off and play around with the hang angle. You don't mention the length of your suspension, so the photos might help in figuring it out. I find that changing the position of my butt relative to the center of the hammock can make a large difference in how the folds slope and what parts of my body they press on.

I'm a noob at this stuff, but I spend at least one (and preferably more) nights a week in my hammocks, trying to cram as much experience into as short a time as I can to accelerate the learning. So my general advice at this point would be to try spending time with different configurations of angle, distance, and any other variable you can change.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    You still might need to play with the ridge-line length a little. The calculator is just a good place to start but may be plus or minus a few inches for comfort.
    Also you may need to work on how much diagonal and how the gather is made.

I have a hammock of that fabric made by me instead of dutch so it ain't much but it works great for me.
    Mine is 11'6" from loop to loop (not fabric length which is 12'). The 114" calculated 83% worked well for me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    The atlas straps are 9ft.

I will play around with the angles and all that you all suggested, will also go find some trees that are within the idea distance apart and see if that helps

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    The Dutch Argon 11 footer has been my go-to hammock since I got it. I also have camped in an Eno DN, and I need a significantly deeper sag in the 11-footer, but once I found that, it was bliss. Make/get an adjustable ridgeline and play with the length a bit. The one that worked for me was well under the 'industry standard' 83%.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Will try the adjustable one also. Have to buy one cause I don't know and not sure I could make one

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Your problem could be the Argon fabric. It's a very nice fabric for sure, but it is also fairly stretchy. I tried sleeping in a single layer, and I always get back and shoulder pains. I'm going to try a Argon double layer hammock one of these days and see if it changes things.

If you are willing to spend some money, get a PolyD hammock and see how you fare with that. For people who like a firmer, flatter lay, the PolyD is perfect. The first time I tried a PolyD hammock, I couldn't believe how flat I could lie.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Hopefully it's not the fabric since I just bought the hammock, I like the softer beds over the firm ones. Going to mess with the height of the suspension and what others have suggested before buying another hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well, a soft bed and a stretchy hammock fabric are two different pairs of shoes. A soft bed won't cradle you the way a stretchy hammock does. I'm not saying that the Argon is at fault, but I get shoulder pains / shoulder squeeze from stretchy hammock fabrics but sleep just fine in a soft bed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast