Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images

What to buy: WBBB XLC or Hammeck Envy

I'm 6'1" and <200 lbs. My current hammock is a Dutch Argon 11'. I'm looking to add a hammock to my gear (#2 this year), and I'm comparing the Envy 11' to the WBBB XLC. I'm considering the DL, with top cover. If I go WBBB, I'm thinking 1.1. If I go with Envy, I was thinking poly D 1.2. I've been drooling over the WBBB ever since learning about hammock camping, so I'm leaning that way. However, all I read is about how fantastic Poly D is...and those hammeck guys are pushing out hammocks with poly D and besides fantastic "family" support...they are getting some great reviews. How can I possibly make this call? Hammeck does cost less + they have poly D. Does that make them take first place in the wish list? What would you do and why? Thanks...

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I am 6 ft 2 and run about 4oo lbs or so WOW , i know , i'm working on it!.
    Anyway i have a few hammocks, starting with a diy bridge that i really like and earlier this year i got a XLC Warbonnet, double layer 1.7 with top cover and i really like this hammock, it is very roomy and extramly comfortable, the shelf is a very nice feature as well as the extra room you get from the footbox. I have never met a Warbonnet owner that didn't love thier hammock.
    I also just got a Dream Hammock Thunderbird, the reason for this is that for one i learned from my blackbird that i need a left lay and my bb was a stock right lay, the second reason was that i have allways thought the Thunderbird was an awesome looking as well as well designed hammock.
    Due to my weight i wanted something custom made that made me feel very secure and Dream hammocks will do just about any custom combo of fabrics that you can think of, my Tbird turned out great .For me it is even more comfortable than any other hammock i have tried, iv'e only set it up on my porch for a few hours so far but love it allready.
    As far as Hammeck Hammocks goes , i have never laid in one or tried one out but thier customers all seem happy with thier hammocks so basically it comes down to personal preferance.
    If you are not in a great big hurry to make your purchase then i would suggest that you hold off and get yourself to a group hang.
    At a group hang you will be able to check out all the different hammocks and make a better decision.
    Last edited by Zilla; 12-09-2014 at 14:51.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incu/Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Anchor/Speed Hooks
    If you have the cash flow to support it and cannot make it to a group hang, why not order both? You can take each out for a night or two and then sell the one you don't want to keep here for almost as much as you paid (both have excellent resale value, especially with minimal use). Ultimately it would be a very low cost for knowing you made the right choice. But if you can make it to a group hang to try both, that cost drops to $0!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I need more of you guys to move to NM, so we can do a group hang. there's only a few of us at this point. I do have some cash, could order both, but I am married...so buying both isn't in the cards. Any input from users that know about both? thanks Leo

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    show your wife how quick they sell and how much they sell for my wife also does not want me buying to much but kinda after seeing she will be OK with it but have to pay down my recent quilt purchases for the both of us

buy both saying one is for her

otherwise I say buy what you first liked the WBBB

another thought buy the dutch poly D and make up your own suspension see what you think of the fabric that way you dont have much into it and can decide then

OR buy the WBBB and the dutch poly since its only $35 that way you have both the one you wanted and the PolyD you want also that IMHO is the best way

I was in the same boat as you but with a BB. I finally bought the BB and I have to say it was the best sleep ever outdoors. Way better than any gathered end hammock I have used. The shelf was nice but not necessary, i found it to be on the way if not pitched properly, i could have done without it, but it is nice to have it to place a down jacket or hat. The footbox was awesome, but I know the Envy has a pullout that creates one, so I believe the result would be pretty similar.

So now the question is in the fabric, color choices, and weight. I now know that I would have not regretted choosing one over the other.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My 2 cents. I had a WBBB XLC and recently replaced it with an 11ft DreamHammock Thunderbird. The T-bird's peak shelf is way better than the XLC's flop over shelf. i HATE the fact that if you take your XLC topless, you now have no tieouts. Not an issue with the T-bird, they are actually on the hammock...where they should be. Brandon's work on the XLC is very good...I think The smurf's is just a tiny bit better, as far as the overall fit and finish that is.

Anyway, best of luck making what is a hard decision.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    pm sent on a envy for you
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yes, get both You can never have too many hammocks.

I don't have a Hammeck hammock, yet, but I think they are very similar to the Dream Hammocks, of which I own two. The WB is designed very differently - it's not just the shelf, but also the way it's whipped and hung. Usually, people either like one or the other better. I don't have the XLC, but the standard Blackbird remains my favorite hiking hammock by a long way. So you really have to try both for at least one night (I can nap in almost any hammock, but spending a full night is a different story) to know which one fits you best.

Both hammocks should sell well, with very little loss.

Otherwise get a cheap Dutch PolyD hammock and see if you like the lay. If you prefer it over your current Argon hammock, go with the Hammeck PolyD hammock. If you like the Argon better, go with the XLC.

Hammock
    Dutch's prototypes
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    All Dutchware
    I have a Dutch argon 11 and WBBB. I can tell you that I have been to many group hangs, I've tried every hammock and material posted so far. I'm lucky in live around so many hangers. I run about six foot, 230. After much thought, when the income tax refund check gets here, it's a Hammeck Envy in blue PolyD.

Like I said I'm lucky enough to try almost any hammock before I buy. This combination just has that intangible comfort factor that you can't describe, you just know when you lay in it. Plus, the peek-a-boo top cover is pretty awesome. Just my test driven or test laid opinion.
    Last edited by biggcarl; 12-09-2014 at 08:44.
    Num Num Num

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast