Dutch 10' PolyD 1.4
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks

Warbonnet Superfly questions and suggestions

*** WARNING: Photo heavy thread ahead. And also this is more of a rant than anything so feel free to click the back button if whining isn't your thing. ***

Hey party people. Just wanted to share some thoughts and maybe ask a couple questions about the Superfly. I've been playing around with some setup options and thought I'd share what I've tried.

Let me start out by saying the WBSF is AWESOME! So far I've covered the inside of the pull out seams with Silnet, made self tensioning guy lines all around (6ft corners and 8ft doors) and a 40ft continuous ridgeline with Dutch ridgeline biners. All were made using 1.75mm Lash-It. Also got the highly recommended Cuben Sleeves from Adam at Hammock Gear.

And by the way, why do people need 6 feet of line on all corners? I understand it's useful for those doing porch mode but I've been only needing at most 2 feet of line and it's making me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

By now, I think I can safely assume that the SF is at least in the top five most popular tarps ever and there's tons of information on it already but one thing I haven't seen addressed is this:

When using the pull outs, how can you avoid the fabric in between the pull outs from loosening up like this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889329.903165.jpg

I don't know about most of you but this drives me crazy. So today I tried another option I saw that utilizes the trekking pole mod options.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889372.487733.jpg

This option works great to address the first issue. But notice the bend on the poles. My continuous ridgeline is above the tarp and causing some significant bending with that line pressed against the middle of my poles. I don't want to wake up only to realize that my poles are destroyed. By the way, I'm using the Helinox DL145 poles for this.

The trekking pole mod option actually does create much more room inside since the sides aren't loosened up like the first photo. Here's the inside with the sides pulled:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889397.624714.jpg

And here's the inside without the sides pulled:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889418.460702.jpg

Anyway, any tips on tightening up the sides or anything in general to make the best use of this thing would be greatly appreciated. If you've been doing the trekking pole mod for years and have seen no permanent bending of the poles then I would absolutely love to hear about it.

Also, just wanted to share some other ideas I've seen so far.

First, here's the plain version:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889444.947990.jpg

Here's it vented using tarp door hooks I got from Dutch. The doors can be put inside the tarp as well for a cleaner look but will make the living space inside smaller if the sides are pulled while vented since the doors aren't being pulled with the sides.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889473.918506.jpg

Vented and pulled:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889492.721370.jpg

Two porch mode photos:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889521.245087.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889535.143892.jpg

And my own creation (probably not but didn't see it anywhere soooo.... it's mine!): porch mode with sidewalls. I call it "Porch Tarp with Sidewall Thingies and Stuff" or for short "ParpSWaThSffff." Just took the self tensioning lines from the two doors and looped them around the bottom end of the poles:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889551.445948.jpg

*** Bonus question: How in the crap do you get the straps on the trees so high and connect your hammock up top? I've seen videos of how they get into the hammocks but they never show how to set it up. ***

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889563.514550.jpg

It's more out of curiosity than anything. Not like I'm going to try it or anything. Maybe. Okay I might try it. No, I'm pretty sure I will. Tomorrow.
    Last edited by jkc107; 12-06-2014 at 13:30.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad->TQUQ
    I only see two images, the fourth and last... the rest are invalid.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Same as above. Photos aren't working.

I attach lines to the four corners for the stakes, but I don't keep 6' lines on the pull outs or doors. Instead, I carry a couple lengths for various needs an use when appropriate. I don't worry about the extra weight. I would rather have the options and convenience. Otherwise, 6' should cover most setup options.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    As far as the bonus question, most of these images are for promotional purposes. They propably have climbing gear to get up there. Maybe they are tree climbers or perhaps there is a lift off camera!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    So the 6' guy line question...you're right you don't need that much. But several points that might make you need that much: you might want to do porch mode on either side depending on location you're at, do you really want to move you guy lines around all the time? Do you camp on un level ground that might make you need longer than 2' guy lines? A lot of this is do what works for you.

Hammock
    Dutch 10' PolyD 1.4
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    My apologies. The images should be working now. If not, please yell at me. Thank you.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I think I went with about 4' for corners on one side, 6' on the other. I leave it that way even though I only use literally 8" most of the time...nice low tarp to keep the wind out. But I have used up to 4' on uneven ground and in porch mode. I also carry some cord for the pullouts, but never used them due to laziness.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Fun to use `em all
    Images look great now! I'm getting one for Christmas this year... it actually showed up yesterday. I was a good little boy and didn't open it, but handed it to my wife instead and said "This is the gift you told me to order for myself."

I'm diggin' the hiking pole mod and your ParpSWaThSffff mode!

As for the first pull out question... isn't that caused by taking both pull outs to the same point? Seems like that wouldn't happen if there were separate stakes for each pullout.

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecrow76 View Post
    As for the first pull out question... isn't that caused by taking both pull outs to the same point? Seems like that wouldn't happen if there were separate stakes for each pullout.
    That's how Brandon shows to do it on the WB site videos.

Maybe play with the length of the rope between the pullouts or the height of the pole.

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    I just ordered a SF myself (WB is awesome and shipped same day btw!) so I'm interested in this post too. I just ordered some Silnet from Amazon since WB recommends sealing only the stitches on the underside of the pullouts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast