Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I was going to point out that many people influence the way you perceive a company. Having run my business for over 20 years, I have had a few situations where an employee represented us in a way that the rest of us felt was not right. It's tough to control how people perceive a company that is larger than a small team.

...and then I read BillyBob's story. Only the market can influence the behavior of a company with an owner like that! So, that makes the answer to the original question: Yes!

That's a big reason I want a Speer III with a Snugfit (the peanut butter and jelly of the hammock world).

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Also keep in mind that, in our case, we HAVE ACCESS to our vendors...so at least we have an opportunity to get ANY impression of them. Most products you buy, discussing the details with anyone other than a customer service rep (who has often never even used the product) is your only option...so you never even have the chance to find out about the owners' eccentricities or irresponsible behaviors.

But yeah - I've withheld my business based on a vendor's attitude in the past. I had showed up with money in hand and was ready to buy one of the most expensive products displayed...and then turned around and walked out.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    "I've withheld my business based on a vendor's attitude in the past. I had showed up with money in hand and was ready to buy one of the most expensive products displayed...and then turned around and walked out."

Been there, done that. More than once.

I'm an easy going guy, and not a difficult customer, at all. But at the first hint that I'm not regarded as a valued customer, I'm outa there.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I had showed up with money in hand and was ready to buy one of the most expensive products displayed...and then turned around and walked out.
    Bet that was the same year I showed up with cash in hand too. Say, maybe two years ago in a small Virginia town.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by climberslacker View Post
    you don't happen to hang out on edcforums do you? cuz there was something very similar to this there, and it had to do with a company every member had somehting from, or wanted something from, and it really hurt that companies reputation
    -CS
    I think, i know what you are talking about.
    After that happened, i took away all logos on my existing stuff.
    And i will never ever buy their products again.

So i agree with:
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Personally, I would not do business with that company if I had other options.
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    I intentionally did not read any replys to this post so that I was not swayed by others opinions before I answered.

If I had questions about a persons actions, I would call them or try to meet them in person. This way you could tell by the tone of their voice if they are doing what you think they may be doing on the forum.

Without that I would simply buy from someone else if I thought they were engaged in shady business practices.

John

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I used to do organizational consulting in another life and spent a lot of time focusing on the nuances of communication. One of the real downsides of written communication is that it is just words. There are different stats, but something like 50% of verbal communication is voice inflection, 30% body language that accompanies it, and the final 20% are the actual words that are chosen.

Many of us have been misunderstood or misunderstand on a regular basis using written or telephone conversation because it simply lacks the full effect of person to person interaction. Appreciative inquiry can go a long way in obtaining additional information when confused or feeling misunderstood. Ask clarifying questions that focus on the positive aspects of the issue at hand. Make those questions open ended so you don't get just yes or no answers.

I get frustrated sometimes with businesses that have policies that seem at the surface to be foolish to me. Often, with a little inquiry and an appreciative gesture on my part, I gain information that sheds light on why they do things the way they do.

On the other hand, if I continue to get rude responses, I will take my business elsewhere, even if it means a lesser product. It is just the way karma should work.

Like many things, there are many legitimate responses to this issue.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverDn View Post
    Without that I would simply buy from someone else if I thought they were engaged in shady business practices.
    I'm not so much talking about shady business practices as much as just acting like a jerk - calling competitors' products a fad, or giving a customer grief for thinking out loud whether he can afford your product, or getting mad at a customer for asking questions about your gear in a public forum. Just general bad attitude stuff, nothing that affects the integrity of the actual business you'd do with them.

Honesty is good, but when a business owner honestly thinks a competitor's idea is stupid, it might not be a bad idea to honestly keep his mouth shut instead of honestly sticking his foot in his honest mouth

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I used to do organizational consulting in another life and spent a lot of time focusing on the nuances of communication. One of the real downsides of written communication is that it is just words. There are different stats, but something like 50% of verbal communication is voice inflection, 30% body language that accompanies it, and the final 20% are the actual words that are chosen.
    According to research presented by Prison Fellowship Ministries the numbers are even more lopsided than that. 58% body language (most people are more visual than anything else.. they like to believe their eyes.) About 34% tonal inflection. That's why sarcasm works in person better than any other way. When the voice does not match the visuals the visuals take priority. But even that mis-match can cause great confusion. This leaves only about 8% being the actual content. Now I don't want to get into a back and forth about who's stats are more accurate because I don't think that's the point. But when the vast majority of the "meaning making" context is missing we inevitably end up in trouble unless we are extremely careful.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I'm not so much talking about shady business practices as much as just acting like a jerk - calling competitors' products a fad, or giving a customer grief for thinking out loud whether he can afford your product, or getting mad at a customer for asking questions about your gear in a public forum. Just general bad attitude stuff, nothing that affects the integrity of the actual business you'd do with them.

Honesty is good, but when a business owner honestly thinks a competitor's idea is stupid, it might not be a bad idea to honestly keep his mouth shut instead of honestly sticking his foot in his honest mouth

Seems to remind me of what my father used to say to me about people living in glass houses and stone throwing. Comments that put others down say way more about those making the commentary than the target of the comment.
    Last edited by canoebie; 08-26-2009 at 12:48. Reason: grammar
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast