Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't so much rule "out" a company or product by their online behavior because I have no clue if the person really does represent who they say they do. By the same token I will most definately rule "in" some people and products based on their on forum attitudes and behavior. If a company "gives back" to the community they are a part oft then they climb higher on my list. If not, then quality and price take precedence. But given a choice between a company which productively participates in the forums and one which does not... Guess where I will go. Price is secondary sometimes when I know if I have a problem I can jump on the internet and get the attention of someone that cares.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Being a pro staffer for a company (not a hammock company) I can relate to this issue. I have a hard time ever talking about the product I staff for because either people see me as biased or I come off as biased because of my support for my product. If you are not a staffer/rep you can get by with comparing producst but if you are a pro staffer/rep people take your comparison as biased. I try an give all the info I know about a product but if it seems anywhere near negative it is taken by some as a biased just because I am a rep.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I have to agree with animalcontrol. I've had my feathers ruffled a few times, but in the end it is difficult to measure the intent of typed words; not everybody has the use of smilies down pat yet.

I think I have been guilty of misreading the typed word, maybe reading in insults that were not really there. But, if I am convinced that a manufacturer is a royal horses behind, I am going to do my best to find gear from someone else. If I can not find a suitable alternative from some one else, will I use the horses a*s's gear? Maybe if I am desperate enough and nothing else will do. But I am going to try not to. But again, caution is required to make sure that the typed word is not being interpreted by me as much harsher than it was intended. Which is an easy thing to do, that is misread meaning.

I was on the verge of buying a Wiggy's sleep bag a couple of years ago, but I never got one. Here is why: I talked personally to Mr. Wiggy. It turns out he was willing to talk at length re: his bags. But I felt guilty about taking up his time, plus I felt it might be hard to get an unbiased answer about Wiggy gear from the quite opinionated Wiggy. Not that he would be incorrect in his opinion, but still: natural bias, whether right or wrong.

So I registered with a user name at an Alaska outdoor site, where the people associated with Wiggy's Alaska ( offering some special Wiggys models) often participate. I started a thread seeking opinions on the Wiggy brand. I got a lot of nearly 100% positive responses. It was a thread that went much like one would here asking the pros and cons of JRB vs Speer vs Warbonnet, etc. But I had zero negative to say about the brand, only questions about the dif compared to a plain Polarguard bag, etc. And with the exception of a very few negative responses, the thread ended up being quite an endorsement of the brand by actual users in Alaska. I thought it was a great, informative thread and over all a free commercial for Wiggys by way of user endorsements. The responses certainly had me about to pull the trigger on a Wiggy's bag.

Next thing I knew, I had a rather unpleasant e-mail from Wiggy, He wanted to know, essentially, why I had gone behind his back asking questions about his product. He seemed insulted that I was not satisfied simply to ask him questions and let him answer them. It was a decidedly unfriendly note. And never mind how he even found out or figured out how the guy asking the questions and starting the thread was me!

Now mind you, I never said ( or even hinted at) the first negative thing about his product. I simply asked a few questions about some product technicalities, and sought user opinions. This seems to me like a good thing, especially as most responses were positive. Regardless, the man was unhappy with me, and seemed to think I had done something dishonorable. It was the single most bizarre interaction I have ever had with a manufacturer. I responded. I let him know he might also be unhappy with a similar thread I had started here at HF. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=Wiggy We went back and forth a couple of times in e-mail, with no apologies from either of us.

End result, I did not get a Wiggy's Bag. Mainly as I was kind of PO'ed at the manufacturer, and also because I was worried about any future customer service problems. Of course, there were many other bags and quilts to choose from. But truth be told, I nearly got one any way, I was so impressed with what some folks had said about having used the bags in survival situation when soaking wet. But I never could pull the trigger after my nasty gram from the manufacturer.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    I can relate to that billybob. I emailed him asking about him about his poncho liner. he was very helpful and returned my emails promptly. when He mentioned that they did custom sewing, I enquired about the possibility of them making a custom 20 degree quilt for me. I was told that quilts don't work, and that he can't make his bags any lighter. I will probably still get the poncho liner, but the response really annoyed me.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BillyBob58 - Unfortunately Wiggy is probably the single most outstanding thing that most people have to say about Wiggy's. This is really too bad because as you stated nearly everybody that I have questioned have really good opinions of his products.

It's his company and he can do as he wants, but if he hired a PR person and stuck to designing and building product, he would increase his sales many timers over.

To answer the original question, yes. I decided that I didn't have to live with Wiggy and so purchased his products and am glad that I did.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    BillyBob58 - Unfortunately Wiggy is probably the single most outstanding thing that most people have to say about Wiggy's. This is really too bad because as you stated nearly everybody that I have questioned have really good opinions of his products.

It's his company and he can do as he wants, but if he hired a PR person and stuck to designing and building product, he would increase his sales many timers over.

To answer the original question, yes. I decided that I didn't have to live with Wiggy and so purchased his products and am glad that I did.
    That is probably the best approach. If you want the product, why worry if the manufacturer has personality problem? Unless the dislike is pretty extreme and/or a matter of principle to the point where you just can't stand the thought of giving the guy any money. Or, if you have had words with them and then worry about problems if you needed customer service.

Anyway, I may still one day end up with one of those heavy Wiggy bags just to satisfy my curiosity.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    I was interested in a Wiggys bag, until I read about a dispute over at Backpacker, where Wiggy published the personal details of a customer with whom he had a dispute. No product is worth endangering someone's identity.

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    Wiggy's sells great leg waders for crossing creeks. Sorry about being off topic!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Humankind now has access to more product than at any time in history...just staggering in its breadth and depth. I like my toys as well as the next cat, but I refuse to be such a slave to The Newest Bestest Thing that I'm willing to reward bad actors with my business.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I'd reckon that the coolest gear-most novel-innovative is from guys(maybe gals too) that are a bit wierded out.....in a good way for the genius of innovation but usually in a bad way for personal interaction.....can any body say Stevenson Warmlite?
    So fess up Brandon and tell us you eccentricities!
    My gear choice comes from a mental picture of me miles from the trailhead or put-in and sitting there with the gear and whatever situation I'm in...my cell probably won't reach Wiggy at that point or Packa or T.Hennessey or the Jacks....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast