Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    HG/pad and bag
    Suspension
    Straps

True DIY, or just crossing the line into stupidity???

OK folks.

I want an underquilt, but have a hard time spending so much cash on it. On the other hand I don't so much mind spending cash on tools equipment that might get me to a break even and continue to be useful.

I am a DIYer from waaayyy back. I was brought up that way. I am the type of guy that if I can handle the DIY and have it some how pay off in the end or maybe break even somehow, then I go that route. I have mills, lathes, drills, welders, saws, nailers, test equipment, just tools galore. One thing I don't have... a sewing machine ... umm I mean thread injector.

I have been strongly thinking about buying one of these multi function sewing machines lately. The ones that can do sewing, quilting, and ebroidery, ect. Problem is, I have never used a sewing machine in my life. And I just can't seem to decide if it will pay off or even come close to it in the end. I know it's not very manly, but I have darned a sock, or sewen a patch over a hole in jeans. I even sewed a button on a pair of paints the other day. Just never operated a sewing machine.

I for some strange reason think that I can somehow recoup the cost of the machine by selling products, or making items for myself that I would otherwise buy anyways.

This attitude has paid off for me in the past by freelancing services or what have you regarding mechanical/electrical repairs and designs, welding, machining and turning, cad cam designs, auto mechanics, and carpentry. But in each of these other categories I have had a bit of knowhow to start with.
    I was a field service engineer for process control equipment in the glass industry for years and still perform this task when the company needs it --> mechanical/electrical repairs and designs.
    I work for a manufacturing company that is primarily a machine shop, --> welding and machining/turning, and cad cam design.
    I grew up working in my grandfathers auto repair garage --> auto mechanics.
    I grew up working with uncles and other family members in construction building houses, and doing remodels. --> construction.

So what do you all think? I was looking at getting a singer futura xl-580. I think by getting something like this, I will be able to make a few dollars to help recoup the cost of the machine, ect. Maybe make some custom patches, or embroider things. Have the kids making artsy fartsy things to sell at craft sales etc. At the same time I will be able to make the gear that I need er I mean want, such as under quilts, etc. Kids or the other half might be able to make a dress or some other fashion statement. Heck I could put my initials on my washcloths if I want.

Do any of you have a machine like this? Am I just crazy? Is this crossing the line?

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks,

Chris

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    singer futura xl-580
    Oh good god no! $1000 for a machine you MAY use?

Buy a good used machine for $50, have it serviced and be on your way happily making gear. Older machines (1920-1950's ish) are often more durable than new ones, but usually need a little TLC to start.

Or buy a cheaper new machine. I got a Janome 128 for ~$80 and it's more than paid for itself with DIY savings, and making gear for other people. It does everything needed.

No need to invent reason's to use it. You want to make gear, buy a machine to make gear. All you need is a straight stitch machine. Features that are nice: Zig-zag capable. Adjustable needle position, adjustable stitch length and spacing (feed rate), or options for different length/spacing.
    Last edited by Boston; 12-04-2014 at 14:52.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopie
    I'm into DIY for most things as well. The only stuff I won't touch is refrigeration and HVAC, but most of my house was remodeled by me. I've done roofs, hardwood flooring, laminate flooring, drywall, new deck, and put in a pool. I tend to fix my own cars as well unless it's something under tension (springs etc...) or tires.

Anyhow for the DIY mind sewing isn't hard to learn. I'm a noob as of this year as well, but picked it up pretty quick. If I stacked it against other DIY stuff it ranks pretty easy. Like anything else you learn by doing so first step is to get a machine. I agree with not going to cheap as I hear the cheap ones don't do slow speeds very well, but at the same time $1k for a machine if you don't know you will like it is kind of a lot.

Well anyhow YMMV.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have two concerns, neither of which should discourage you but you might want to consider. I was a carpenter by trade for a number of year. Hard things like wood I had no trouble dealing with. But fabrics ain't hard. It takes an entire new learning curve to learn the handling of the base material. Trying to feed a sewing machine is just not the same as feeding a table saw or running a lathe or drill press. I have no doubt you can do it, but don't underestimate the frustrations you might run into.

Secondly, about your choice of machine... IMHO a multipurpose machine like you are talking that comes in less than $2000.00 is probably not going to be much good. Them things are pricey as all get out. If you are thinking of offsetting the cost by doing specialty free lance and you want to be known for a quality product you are looking at big bucks. Embroidery is a whole different kettle of fish from normal sewing. In order to get an embroidery coverage that is pleasing to discriminating customers you need a very high class machine. Can you say "ka-ching"... I knew you could. If you are willing to forgo the embroidery aspect then you con come down into the upper stratasphere as far as prices are concerned. $500-750 should put you into a decent new machine that can handle the modern fabrics for clothing and such. Now if you just want to go with the home gear making DIY then all bets are off. Any machine that will sew a straight stitch will work for that. Folks have come into those for free up to $250 on the used market. There are a multitude of threads about purchasing a gear making machine. Folks have found my "guidelines" thread in my sig helpful.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you have the eye-hand coordination to operate a mill, a lathe and/or weld, sewing is well within your capabilities. Get someone to show you the basics of threading and adjusting the machine and how to sew a straight hem and you will be covered for the vast majority of your DIY tasks. Find a good used one on Craigslist and go for it. If you wind up hating sewing, sell the machine on Craigslist.

Remember, sewing is just welding cloth. Good luck.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Ramblinrev is, if possible, wiser than ever. Get a good used machine that does straight stitch and maybe zigzag and nothing else. That way you'll be spending your money on features you will use. You can sell your un-fancy but functional results to HF members if you want to recoup your investment (but it won't happen). Enjoy!

Hammock
    Grand Trunks SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue HM20R
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Custom
    A Singer 4423 would be a good cheaper alterative. I've made triple layer hammocks, UQs, stitched leather, you name it. Paid $150 and have had 0 problems.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have only started DIY this year. The one thing I'd say is: don't make your own down underquilt to save money. If you add up the raw materials, you'll be pretty close to what a professionally sewn underquilt would cost you. With the difference, that the professional underquilt maker had lots of time and lots of underquilts to perfect the design. I have several underquilts, and in order to make something like the HG Incubator, I would need sew a lot of underquilts...

If you want to DIY because you like a challenge and have fun making things - go for it. Recently, my inherited sewing machine failed and I had to replace it. I did quite a bit research. On the German outdoor MYOG forums, two model series were highly recommended: the Pfaff 12xx series (e.g. 1209) and the Pfaff 36x series (e.g. 360). They are sold from 10€ up to 400€ here. Not sure what the prices are in the US. I ended up with a Pfaff 1475 because my mother had this machine sitting in the corner, collecting dust. I like the upper transport for thin fabrics. My old machine crumpled up the fabric a lot more than this one.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I know several people who purchased machines such as you are describing, only in a bit higher price range, they THOUGHT they would offset the cost of the initial purchase with doing outside work. Well, they all failed to make any additional income from their purchase, a few people were willing to purchase their embroidery work, just not enough to make it worth their while to keep doing it.

I wanted a newer machine, then I read the owner's manual for a couple, I decided they were not for me. I want a machine I can just inject thread with. I rarely use the extras, certainly not enough to warrant the cost of the machine and maintenance of said machine. Some of the machines have higher maintenance costs than my Jag. I am a reasonable DIY person, I like working on projects of all sorts. I do not want a thread injector I have to be careful with. Reasonable cleaning and light maintenance is fine, a trip into the thread injector shop every few months is not.

I have found very high quality older machines that weigh a ton (all metal guts) at reasonable prices say $8.00 ---50.00 as Ramblinrev, suggests, read through his suggestions for purchasing a used injector. Lots of high quality injector's out and about, sometimes it takes a bit to find one worth bringing home, but well worth the hunt. My finds work very well and are not temperamental. I do find when I am injecting thread into silnylon I do have to be careful about keeping my needle and throat plate clean, however that is very basic house keeping.

If you just want to play with the injector, purchase it for that purpose, if you want to recoup your expenditure, I highly doubt that will happen. I know some high powered people who have attempted to off set the cost of their toy buy doing some on demand work, however, they quickly discovered it was a no go. The little sweatshops, can do the work cheaper and quicker plus they have the channel to market their creations.

Hammock
    DIY Cloud
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I have only started DIY this year. The one thing I'd say is: don't make your own down underquilt to save money.
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. I recently made a TQ that is almost an exact clone of the HG 40 Burrow short (plus ~1" in length). My materials (Argon 67 on sale and 800FP down) total was right at $90 and this TQ retails for $209 before shipping. Sure, it took me ~12 hours total BUT it was fun so I ended up with a high functioning TQ for a cost of $90 + my time. If your time is very valuable, you are probably better off buying from a reputable vendor.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast