Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images

Birthday gift advice

My little brother (220 lb 42 yr old), has a birthday mid December. I just ordered him a 11' Dutch Argon hammock, with 4' tree huggers. I will send him some speed hooks on amsteel to hook up to the huggers. I'm excited for him. The question, should I build him a ridgeline? I know its optional, but it really helped me get the right type of hang on my hammock. I'm tempted to do it, but if I hold off...it may give him something to tinker with.

As a side note, I also sent his boy a grand trunk hammock for Christmas...so I think together they will be having fun and experimenting.

what would you do?

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    You could start it off for him. Splice a eye on one end and leave it long. Then explain the idea of tweaking ridge line length to improve the hang and let him play. Then if he wants it he will come looking for more info and it will mean more to him.
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I think your a good gift giver.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudsonhawk View Post
    You could start it off for him. Splice a eye on one end and leave it long. Then explain the idea of tweaking ridge line length to improve the hang and let him play. Then if he wants it he will come looking for more info and it will mean more to him.
    I think that is a good idea ,because as you know we all like to tinker with our gear ,but that will give him a great starting point ,

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    If you definitely know he likes to tinker with everything, leaving out the ridgeline might be okay. You know your brother better than we do.

If there is any question as to his interest in fussing with stuff I'd include one in your gift package. Not everyone likes to tinker with stuff, and we shouldn't assume they do just because we might enjoy it. There is also a steep learning curve when you first start using a hammock in order to maximize comfort. Why not make it just a little easier for him to ease into the sport.

A better compromise might be making him an adjustable one and adjusting it to the length you think will work best for him. Then his initial tinkering would be limited to minute adjustments to find his own sweet spot. Doing so will increase his odds of being comfortable on his first trip out, and that will increase his chances of doing it again and learning more about it. He's already got a lot of new hammock-related things to learn re: tarps, suspension, insulation, site placement, gear stowage, etc.

Minimizing barriers to entry is my thought, but like I said, you know your brother better than we do.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    great point. He loves to tinker...with everything. he's a technician...can fix/change anything. I was thinking along the same line...give him either an adjustable or fixed to start with. with my new speed clips, I do have some extra whoopies.

• + New Posts