Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Out A Noob

Help Out A Noob

I decided to finally try out a hammock setup for backpacking. Before I found this forum, I found the ENO Double Nest Onelink for $179 and thought it was a good deal so I ordered it. Now that I have been perusing this forum for a day or two, I have information overload syndrome and now I am not sure I got the best bang for my buck. So on a budget of $200, is there something lighter and or more comfortable? Better quality? The Doublenest Onelink weighed in at 4.6 pounds on my scale. I am open to ideas or suggestions on piecing together a system but I am just more confused than anything right now. Primary use will be summer treks on the AT. Underquilts not a must at the moment. I would appreciate the advice and suggestions.

Ian

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images
    Stand by for lots of replies and opinions. There is nothing wrong with ENO but the short answer is, yes you can do better weight wise than 4 pounds . Read some more, check the cottage vendors, watch some of the videos, and do a lot of comparison.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Deadwood is 100% correct. Everyone has their favorite set up. My answer is the best one is the one you have that works for you! There are lighter options and heavier options but if you are comfortable in your ENO and the weight is not an issue, then you have the best one for you as of right this minute.

Hang out here more, read more, be sure you watch Shug's videos on You Tube and check out the Ultimate Hang by Derek. Then you can play around and decide if you want to change out your ENO for something else.

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I started out with an ENO Reactor (the two layer hammock which lets you stuff a sleeping pad between the layers for warmth) and their Atlas straps. I think you're basically adding a tarp and bugnet but going to a single layer hammock vs the dual layer that I got. I really like my ENO but I've gotten a few other pieces of gear that have brought me to realize that there's nicer stuff that's more compact and lighter as well as cheaper or in the same price range.

You'll get dozens of answers as to what you might use instead but there's nothing wrong with what you've ordered. If you're considering returning it, there's some other gear out there you might want to look at. If you like this setup, you might consider tweaking it a bit. for example, switching out the Atlas straps and carabiners for some tree straps and whoopie slings or other amsteel based suspension will get you a lighter, smaller packed setup without a ton of added cost.

You're going to want some sort of insulation. Most people use underquilts along with a top quilt for warmth since your butt will be getting cold in anything remotely cool (I feel cold right around 70 degrees personally). You might try getting by with a sleeping pad for bottom insulation but this is one area where your kit is lacking.

If I was shopping for a hammock with bugnet and tarp, knowing what I know now, I'd be looking at a few of the cottage vendors that people here love. You'll find hammocks with integrated, removable bug nets and tarps that are bigger, pack smaller, and weigh less. For a hammock with bugnet and a tarp I'd think you'd be somewhere in the $200-300 range depending on what options you went with.

Over a rather short amount of time I've horded 5 hammocks from various makers in slightly varying styles and materials and each one has it's benefits. The ENO in my set is great but it's definitely not the most bang for the buck.

Images
    I had to look up the ENO Double Nest Onelink to see what you get.
    Campsavers has it for 168 with freeshipping code. Looks like you get a sub 10' hammock with tree straps, bugnet and PU coated tarp.
    With only a 200 buck budget(no quilts) it might be hard to get something lighter. The cheap stuff is usually really heavy.

How tall and how much do you weigh? A sub 10' hammock can be a little uncomfortable if you are on the big and tall side.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    KNT12x12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Zero
    I had the Grand Trunk double, but was not really the one I wanted. I hung in it for a couple seasons, along with the ENO bug screen. I recently got the Warbonnet DL Blackbird at 2.2 pounds, which comes with a bug screen and foot box. I am learning the hang of this unit, and slept out in 12 degrees, recently. Dkurfiss is correct, Watch Shugemery videos on Youtube, and any other vids there.
    Joe Nungesser
    Forget the box, just think outside!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The ENO products are great entry-level, beginner, or gateway hammock stuff. The tarps and bugnet aren't the lightest, and the hammocks aren't the most comfortable, but $179.95 is a reasonable price to get off the ground.

I certainly understand information overload - my first hammock was an HH Expedition Asym Zip 'cause I just didn't have time to explore all options, had an upcoming trip, and wanted to get off the ground. However, here's a crack at one lighter and probably more comfortable option.

Dutch 1.4 oz. PolyD 11' hammock w/whoopie hook suspension & 5 ft. tree huggers - $74.00 and 14 oz.
    BIAS Buginator Bugnet - $64.95 and 8.8 oz.
    Warbonnet Edge tarp - $85.00 and 11.25 oz.

Total $223.95 and 34 oz.

So basically, for $23.95 more than your $200 budget (and I'm leaving out shipping costs), you can save 36 ounces of pack weight. Does 2.25 lbs. of pack weight mean anything to you? I'm in my 50s and that much weight means a lot. I'm also not fond of the shortness of the ENO hammocks, and their tarps aren't that good either.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Nice list of some top quality gear SS and he could leave the bug net at home after bug season is over which save another 1/2#.

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    With only a 200 buck budget(no quilts) it might be hard to get something lighter. The cheap stuff is usually really heavy.
    The closest I can think of is to do something like a Hammeck Netty which includes bugnet, hammock, and suspension for $125 then add a tarp such as the tadpole for $90 which puts you at $215. You could go a bit cheaper but that's what I consider to be a respectable setup where no corners were cut for cost savings. Granted, you'd need lines and stakes for the tarp so there's a bit of expense not included but that setup is as light as 11oz for the tarp and 17oz for the hammock so it's a significant reduction in weight, better quality, and just a tad bit more money. To me this is a better weight/dollars value than a titanium spork or other UL backpack gear.

http://www.hammeck.com/hammocks/netty
    http://www.wildernesslogics.com/TAD-POLE-Tad-Pole.htm

This is just one of countless examples of options but one I'd look at as an alternative to the OneLink.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I paid $125 for my Dream Hammock Darien 11'. $85 for a WL Tadpole. I forget the weights but the hammock is close to 22 oz and tadpole 14oz ready to hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast