Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Last night....no good....lil help plz

Ok...last night. Only got down to 12*. Not that cold IMO.
    I have 2 JRB ORM's I use. One as TQ, One as UQ. Rated to 5-10*.

I also brought a reflectix pad and a hot water bottle.

I wore underarmor top and bottom, with fleece hoodie, thermal sleeping pants, ski mask, and wool socks.

I ate a PBJ and ran around with the dog before I went out. So I had calories and was slightly warmed up.

Freezing after only an hour! All underneath and feet. Not really my upper half, but lower all the way down.

I felt under the hammock and can feel a gap, small...but there, from my butt down. Obviously that's where I was cold. The reflectix pad helped, but it too much of a PITA to mess with when in the hammock. And I know Im doing something wrong with suspension.

My suspension is just some homemade 3/16 shock cord with cord locks and S biner....pretty much copied Shug from his UQ video. Problem is no matter how tight I make it, when I get in the hammock, it just slips loose. I even tried to just bypass the suspension altogether and biner the looped ends of the UQ directly to the hammock suspension. This worked a little better, but made the UQ way down to my feet and not enough up top. Plus, by this point, I was so cold from messing around with it that I couldn't warm up anyways.

So....I know it sounds like Im whining....cuz I probly am....haha. Im tired man...LOL.

But what in the heck am I doing wrong here? How tight does the UQ need to be? Should it significantly lift the hammock?

Im going to try again tonite, but it going to be much warmer....only get down to 25ish.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Sounds like you need to use the ridgeline to pull the UQ up like the Triangle thingees do. You can make your own out of any line (like paracord). Here's what they look like - you don't need the fabric. just make a cord triangle: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s..._Thingies.html

I see some one posted about quilt hooks - they accomplish the same function - pulling the UQ up.

I think with the integrated bugnet in your Netty, the triangle would be the better option to test and you can make a couple triangles in a minute or so to test it out. Try 14" triangle to start with to see if iit helps.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 12-02-2014 at 12:30.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tighten up the main suspension and kake sure your ends (side to side) are not over-cinched.
    You should be warm....get it so there are no gaps.
    Put the footpad in the footbox of your TQ...that will help.
    Carry forth and way to get out there......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    The underquilt should snug up to (touch) your hammock all the way around. This seals out the cold air and keeps in the warm air. Any gap and you will be cold.

It is helpful if you are in the hammock and you have someone walk around you and look for gaps. Quilt hooks will also help hold the quilt in place.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnunniv View Post
    It is helpful if you are in the hammock and you have someone walk around you and look for gaps.
    This has been especially important for me. I just can't seem to snug up a UQ by myself. I need help.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tarp
    Ghetto Tarp
    Insulation
    Squirrels
    It could be several things. The gap you felt is probably the biggest issue. Where the ends of the UQ drawn tight?
    Open ends can allow fresh cold air to move into the gap. Was there much wind? It can blow out any warmth your body is creating especially with large gaps, not to mention the wind chill effect.
    Not much wiggle room at 12°
    "Acorns were good until bread was found."
    Francis Bacon

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg diy
    I had the same problem went with thicker shock cord and solved the problem.think my diy iq was just to heavy

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Welcome to the club and the learning curve. The same situation has happened to almost all of us.

I see the members above have told you what you need to know to fix the problem.

Your next Hang will be better. I know, been there done that, I just had a recent reminder, my DIY UQ had a huge gap develope in the middle of the night. The shock cord I used lost too much elasticity, big gap developed, I could not get out and fix it because it was too dark for me to move around (vertigo), I had to tough it out, now I fixed the shock cord, it is in the garbage, added quilt hangers, ready to go again. Learning is part of the challenge (fun). I won't have the same problem again, once was enough! I hate being cold.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thnx guys for all the suggestions.

Sorry to whine like that, but I guess you all have been there, so you know what a drag it is.
    Ive gotten chilly before, but this was like down to the bones cold....Ive heard guys talk about that before....now I know what it feels like...haha. Weird thing is I slept in single digits just a few weeks ago and it wasn't nearly as bad. Don't know what I did different.
    Luckily Im just out in the woods behind my house, so its only about a 7 minute walk back to warmth.

Anyways, Im going to make some triangle thingies and see how that helps. I think it will do the trick.
    Cuz I notice that even when I make the suspension super tight, it only comes up a little and goes out a lot. The problem Im having is that the UQ needs to come UP and it seems the pulling outwards of the suspension is not doing the trick....not to mention its too elastic and stretches and slips too much.
    If that doesn't work, Ill go with some dutchware hooks....love his doo-dads....haha.

Thnx again guys, Ill keep you posted.

Btw, no matter how much it seemed like I was complaining.....this is fun as hell....LOL!

Hammock
    DIY 11'er
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ all around!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Did you happen to work up a sweat while running around with the pooch? Even a slight "glisten" (as my wife calls it) can translate into a chill. Add to that a gap in your insulation and you have a recipe for a not so warm night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast