Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

Climashield APEX now available in 3.6 oz

I wanted to offer a weight of APEX that allowed a little more fine tuning on temp rating, so I've added 3.6 oz/sq yd. There are a number of variables that play into the final temp rating for a piece of gear (see this thread xxx), but as a rule of thumb, 2.5 oz and 5 oz only allow jumps of 20 deg or so in single layer quilts, etc. The 3.6 oz should allow you to essentially cut that large jump in half to 10 deg and give you more options as you plan/build your projects.

If this goes well, I will make the investment to bring the 3.6 oz in as a stock option going forward. If you'd like to see any other weight (e.g. 6+ oz) feel free to comment. Happy Tuesday!

-> http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collecti...imashield-apex

image (35).jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Nice!
    This isn't the HL is it? Your post is fairly clear- just want to be sure as that is about exactly what that is.

That would put you pretty well smack at 3.0 clo and fill in nicely, especially for me as I don't thing the 5.0 is worth it. This would take you right to the line of down vs synthetic if debating weight at least (and if you go by my math-which is debatable)

Not my preference but looks like Tim at EE uses 2.0 ounce layers. Pure speculation but possibly so he can make an easy 2,4,6,8 system from a single roll of product. I like your option better(cheaper, easier to work with one layer) but if stocking becomes a problem then that system may be best for you- drop the 2.5 and 3.6 rolls and only carry 2.0. Then MYOG could use 2.0 (single) or 4.0 (double) to get the product you just added.

I'll be picking some up for sure!

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    For reference-http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/
    The specs tab will give MYOG folks a good chart to get started regarding temps and layers for the 2.5 and 3.6.

What are the thickness breakdowns Kyle, just out of curiosity...

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    For reference-http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/
    The specs tab will give MYOG folks a good chart to get started regarding temps and layers for the 2.5 and 3.6.

What are the thickness breakdowns Kyle, just out of curiosity...
    This is APEX not HL. They can actually make anything you want from 1-10 oz/sq yd, so the weight isn't necessarily tied to a particular product line.

I don't have the spec sheet for this yet, but the thickness of the 5.0 is double that of the 2.5, so I just scaled the 2.5 thickness up. I believe that comes to 0.9".
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    This is APEX not HL. They can actually make anything you want from 1-10 oz/sq yd, so the weight isn't necessarily tied to a particular product line.

I don't have the spec sheet for this yet, but the thickness of the 5.0 is double that of the 2.5, so I just scaled the 2.5 thickness up. I believe that comes to 0.9".
    Poorly worded- I meant weights but said thickness (though your estimate is likely good on that).
    Weight is all that matters, thanks for the answer and trying this out!

Personally I think this is a great option for those a bit gunshy about 2.5oz being too light, even conservative estimates would put the 3.6 at 45*
    A basic 44x60 quilt- Argon .67 and Apex 3.6 would be 9.25 ounces plus attachments. About $60 plus notions for materials- great first time project.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    My rule of thumb on TQ's is that they don't need to be rated the same as a UQ, about 3/4 of the temp rating ought to work for the applications one finds synthetic suitable for. I use 5.0 for the Underwoobie, which seems to be able to withstand the temps I can expect here on the Gulf Coast, but 2.5 won't cut it for a TQ for those same temps. It looks like I may have found a solution.

I've got all the material I need for two, maybe three, Underwoobies, but I haven't bought the insulation yet as I don't have the time to devote to the prject (as well as the tarp, gaiters, and waistbelt pouches I have on the list). As sson as I do, I'll be getting about 5 yards of this stuff.

• + New Posts