Tarp
    Veries
    Insulation
    arbridge UQ, & OTH
    Suspension
    Cinge Bukles
    Images

1st diy hammock

Ok so i want to make my first diy hammock, I'm 5 foot 8, and weigh apprx 215 what type of material should I use? And how much in feet, leaving room to sew in a bug net. I also plan on adding a Ridgeline, and pockets on the Ridgeline.
    Thanks
    hang your own hang
    Bayou Serenity

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would use 1.9 oz ripstop. At least 10.5 ft, 11 ft may be better. DIY gear supply has directions. Its pretty easy. You'll need at least 4 yards of material.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Veries
    Insulation
    arbridge UQ, & OTH
    Suspension
    Cinge Bukles
    Images
    Ok thanks for the advice
    hang your own hang
    Bayou Serenity

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    For the fabric capacity, use Randy's very helpful chart: http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html

Of course it would help narrowing down the choices if you knew what type of "give" you like. Ripstopbytheroll and Dutchwaregear have a big selection of great hammock fabrics - but they all have their own characteristics. If you like a stretchy hammock, the 1.6oz Argon would be a great choice. If you like a more firm hammock, the 1.6oz HyperD feels nice. You are probably too heavy for a single layer 1.4oz PolyD, but if you used 2 layers of PolyD, you would probably get a hammock that provides a lot of support. I have spent 2 nights in a PolyD hammock now, and while I hate the static electricity it produces and also don't care much for the slick touch, the lay it provides feels fantastic. I have to admit that it is probably my most comfortable hammock, as of now...

Length and width also are a matter of taste. Most people your size seem to prefer an 11' hammock. If you can live with a 10' hammock, you'd have more coverage in conjunction with a standard 11' tarp. Plus less weight to carry. With regards to the width, I would go with the 60' most fabrics come in. When hemmed, the width will decrease slightly, but it should still be ample.

No matter if you go with 10' or 11', you'll need at least 4 yards of fabric. I would make it 5 yards, so that you don't have problems making a stuff sack for the hammock, too. Unless you want to use a different fabric for the stuff sack - which could save you some weight, because your hammock fabric will be a lot heavier than what is necessary for a stuff sack.

Can't help you with the bug net questions, since I haven't done that, yet.

• + New Posts