Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

FL>Central Florida Hike and Hang>December>Planning Thread

Just wanted to put this out there and see if there was any interest for a December hang. It's a busy time for everyone with the holidays and hunting season makes finding a place to go interesting.

It looks like Green Swamp West could be a possibility on the weekend of Dec 12-14.

Myakka River State Park also seems to have a few options for a loop hike and hunting wouldn't be an issue.

I haven't been to either of those places so if some of the more experienced have input that would be great.

Otherwise the campsite down at Walk-in-Water where we went in October was very nice and I might check the availability for Dec 12-14 again looks like they're not hunting that weekend. The downside would just be staying in the same place for two nights.

So is anyone up for a December trip before the big hang in January?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I'd be up for it and Green Swamp would be great. I don't think we've done the west side, but I've been wanting to.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    yes. mid month or earlier. first night near hwy 471 (where I met you, Craig) then hike west into virgin territory. Maybe stay at another campground if there is one.

Grinder
    PS don't ask for a reservation. Old Dog was told "No hammocks" when he asked about near Richloam Fire Tower area last year. Apparently, the area manager has the final say about hanging in his forest.
    "Better to ask for forgivness than to request permission". I have never seen an official in these forests (Other than Samsara, who wasn't officiating when I saw him <G>)

link to trip report https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=green+swamp

We have camped in the green swamp many times without any problems.
    Last edited by Grinder; 11-28-2014 at 08:17.
    grinder

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Hope I can get away. At Green swamp, about a mile in from 471 is Gator hole campsite. That makes a good place to start. I think the next camp is a few miles from there. Might be a good out and back. I can't remember how far the hike is from the road to the kiosk near withlacoochie state park.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I have been thinking of a hike in about that time frame and either then or the weekend before would work for me. The 'No Hammocks' was up in Richloam which is under State Forestry control, Green Swamp is controlled by SWFWMD. Their only stipulation is that a copy of the free site reservation be on each vehicles' dash. When we did Green Swamp East last year I received an e-mail copy of the reservations and made copies and left them on Hangnyaks windshield. Don't know how many were used but that was what they ask be done. Green Swamp had no restrictions on hammocks and the young lady seemed interested in the idea. Craigc, if you would, touch base with SWFWMD and check on the reservations and see what they say. If you need phone #s PM me or here is their site link.

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/

Looking at the guide book I have for SWFWMD recreation, also on the site, the first campsite in is Gator Hole as richtorfla states. It only looks to be between 1 & 2 miles in from the parking lot on 471. And we don't have to cross the " please don't kill me bridge"! The next primitive site in is near the Compressco campsite which has nonpotable water The next site is the backcountry site, The Concession Stand, maybe another mile past Compressco. As most of us know by now the main concern in Green Swamp is water or lack there of. With the rain we received this week, 4.5 '', here in south Lakeland there should be some water to be had. On the trip out we can exit at the Compressco Gate and my wife can shuttle us back to the McNeil Gate or just hike back to the vehicles. It would be good to see some new territory.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Me and Ed Hess did this hike about 3 or 4 years ago. Think I got some pics of it in my gallery.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Well folks, it looks like I'll be able to make this hike! (about time). I will be arriving well after dark, so Gator Hole would be my preference for a Friday night hike in (how much can I get lost in a mile?) I'm taking my daughter for cat scans early Friday afternoon and will hit the road directly afterward. I need to dehydrate some stew!!!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I have the map for this area. From 471 to Gator Hole camp is approximately a mile. From there to Concession Stand camp is about 6-7 miles. I remember seeing a video of this camp and I think there weren't many hang sites. If you go another 4 miles there's Foster Bridge camp or 6 miles past that is High Bluff site. So it depends on how spunky we feel. Total from 471 all the way to High Bluff camp, would be about 18 miles. So, we just need to figure out how many miles we want to do.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Called SWFWMD today and left a message with the permitting people, I guess they were closed today because I didn't get a call back. I'm planning to try and get Gator Hole for 12/12 and Concession Stand camp for 12/13. I have no problem going the extra miles to Foster Bridge if that's the consensus but it'll make for a long hike out Sunday.

I should be able to get up there around noon on that Friday and can do the same leave a ziplock full of permits on my car.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 20* T
    Suspension
    Straps
    I would be intrested in doing this, give me a chance to practice and pick up some pointers, if ya'll don't mind a newb with a hammock throwing in with ya.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast