Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Show us your results! Isn't it cool when cottage vendors give DIY tips!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    Isn't it cool when cottage vendors give DIY tips!
    +1
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    A synthetic shell is nothing but to pieces of fabric the size of your insulation. A synth uq is really easy but 36" is a bit to narow. You could add a full width piece of 2.5 csa under it?
    I used a 60" x 2.5 yd sheet of 2.5 oz per sq yd and 5.0 oz per sq yd to make my diy tq

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    To finish my last statement, I then used a 60" x 2.5 yd pc of 5.0 oz for an under quilt and since I only wanted a 6' x 54" uq, I cut the excess and stitched to center. Last week I got to test it and worked very well at 34 deg.

Why has no one talked about making and using small throw blankets? Just asking.

Make a vest. If its too hot, it would make a great pillow too.

Vests are easy to make

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Update:

So, as I mentioned, I did end up stuffing my pluq with APEX. Here's some shots of it before:

IMAG0686.jpg
    The APEX

IMAG0688.jpg
    (My PLUQ is a new-sew, gatefold style, which makes this a bit easier.)

IMAG0689.jpg

IMAG0692.jpg
    and done

And it obviously did bulk up the PLUQ, but really didn't change the weight significantly (the total is 3 lbs, including stuff sack). I sling my UQ under my pack, so it didn't take up much more room.

So I got to test it out on an overnight backpacking trip to Pine Mountain, GA (Beech Bottom Campsite, for those familiar with the area). Temps dropped to 31°F (had some frost on my tarp in the morning. Here's some picks of the area (sorry, my camera isn't that great).

IMAG0677.jpg
    Setup on Saturday morning after hiking in

IMAG0678.jpg
    View inside (you can see the APEX peeking out)

IMAG0683.jpg
    Sunday morning (fuzzy because my camera is cold)

Coupled with my WallyWorld synth bag (used as a top quilt) I started warm all night. Two important lessons I learned:

1) Pitch the tarp low in cold weather, even if you're not expecting precip. Around 2am a gentle breeze started sliding under the tarp and across my face. I was too cold/tired to change the tarp pitch and just tried to block it with the hood of the mummy bag, but it was unpleasant.

2) Regular socks aren't enough! At one point in the night, my feet slipped out of the bag and I woke up with painful, frozen toes. Now I understand why people like the Flamethrower socks! I loke FIMB's ideas of making socks from the APEX, so I might try that.

Not related to the PLUQ, but I also fought with shoulder squeeze all night -- I can't get used to my new PolyD hammock (used to have an ENO DN). When I get diagonal enough for a flat lay, I feel like I'm going to fall out. But when I line up straighter, it's shoulder squeeze time. (Didn't help that I forgot to readjust my PLUQ for the longer hammock). I'm hoping it will just take some more tweaking, because I really like the lighter weight of the PolyD.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Officially I do not know this yet, but the family went in and got me some Clamashield for XMas (my son made the mistake of opening the box in front of me). I am planning my projects now
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I saw this too late or I would have suggested taking the UQ shell you have and snipping through the baffles then inserting the APEX into the shell, stitching it in place with channels along the sides and using it as a liner to your existing UQ during really cold weather. That way you still have an UQ for summer treks yet a beefier one for colder times, rather like layering our clothes. It looks like things worked out fine though, yes?
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dfscott View Post
    Update:

So, as I mentioned, I did end up stuffing my pluq with APEX. Here's some shots of it before:

IMAG0686.jpg
    The APEX

IMAG0688.jpg
    (My PLUQ is a new-sew, gatefold style, which makes this a bit easier.)

IMAG0689.jpg

IMAG0692.jpg
    and done

And it obviously did bulk up the PLUQ, but really didn't change the weight significantly (the total is 3 lbs, including stuff sack). I sling my UQ under my pack, so it didn't take up much more room.

So I got to test it out on an overnight backpacking trip to Pine Mountain, GA (Beech Bottom Campsite, for those familiar with the area). Temps dropped to 31°F (had some frost on my tarp in the morning. Here's some picks of the area (sorry, my camera isn't that great).

IMAG0677.jpg
    Setup on Saturday morning after hiking in

IMAG0678.jpg
    View inside (you can see the APEX peeking out)

IMAG0683.jpg
    Sunday morning (fuzzy because my camera is cold)

Coupled with my WallyWorld synth bag (used as a top quilt) I started warm all night. Two important lessons I learned:

1) Pitch the tarp low in cold weather, even if you're not expecting precip. Around 2am a gentle breeze started sliding under the tarp and across my face. I was too cold/tired to change the tarp pitch and just tried to block it with the hood of the mummy bag, but it was unpleasant.

2) Regular socks aren't enough! At one point in the night, my feet slipped out of the bag and I woke up with painful, frozen toes. Now I understand why people like the Flamethrower socks! I loke FIMB's ideas of making socks from the APEX, so I might try that.

Not related to the PLUQ, but I also fought with shoulder squeeze all night -- I can't get used to my new PolyD hammock (used to have an ENO DN). When I get diagonal enough for a flat lay, I feel like I'm going to fall out. But when I line up straighter, it's shoulder squeeze time. (Didn't help that I forgot to readjust my PLUQ for the longer hammock). I'm hoping it will just take some more tweaking, because I really like the lighter weight of the PolyD.
    Once I have a workable pattern (I'm very close), I'll post it on the forums in the Donating Members area. I look forward to seeing your results. Thanks for the trip report.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12