Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Thanks for the rollicking good read y'all!!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Hey does anyone around here know what angle I should hang my hammock in order to get the flatest lay? I heard I could find some good info on this site about hammock camping......point being, mods made simple request instead of just coming out heavy handed. Just my opinion but I say we thank them for the hard work they do, use some common sense so they don't have to make a new rule that's black and white and get back to talking hammock.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    We have all been warned about this since puberty and now it is happening ... I'm just not sure I want go hanging with you in the dark woods 😓
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW I have worked with both hearing impaired and visually impaired people for the last 20 years. Most figure out the work arounds like turning off signatures. Most are open to doing it if someone suggests it. A few get militant about wanting the same rules as everyone else and I have told a few to stuff it. The signature issue seems like one of those battles. Not having a way to turn off signatures would be a discrimination issue. Providing that option and helping people who need help doing it enables the less abled to enjoy the content of the site while not getting mired in less relevant parts of the post. I do not see a problem as far as the viewers go. I do see a lot of ownership for sig lines. That seems to indicate the problem has a fix so let it go.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    I generally like to see signatures, but I too am annoyed by the most giant ones. This very same discussion happened years ago on another forum to which I belong.

Their solution:
    Limit font size to the default.
    Non-donating members were limited to 99 characters across 2 lines, no links, colors, or html flags.
    Donating members got an extra line or two and were able to insert links and use html flags.

This was all hard-coded into the software, so you couldn't save your signature if you broke the rules. Given that this forum already performs monetary lockouts (donating members forum) I think this is a perfectly acceptable solution.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    I haven't been here very long but I have yet to see a large signature that bothers me. In fact these new smaller ones are hard for me to see (and I don't have a major visual impairment). Seeing how sigs can be shut off that should fix issues for the visually impaired.

Can't please everybody.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    We've received an increasing number of complaints about the growing number of signatures that are long and use excessive size. As explained to me the former is a major issue for the visually impaired using screen readers. Others feel excessive signatures clutter the forum and hinder readability.

I'm respectfully asking anyone with a large/long signature to scale it down.

Thanks for understanding,
    -Jeremy
    reading through all these replies is kinda strange how so many get mad??? your asking people respectfully to scale it down, not to hard right? on another note I feel the mods need to settle the ruling going on, how far will stuff like this go? if myself and 10 others don't like something here will you change/delete/ban it because 2% of us don't like it? if that keeps happening in a few years there will be nothing left here....... im not trying to be mean, I have family members with disabilities. just all a little strange to me, no disrespect to you Jeremy as I feel your a good person, just think about it................

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar View Post
    reading through all these replies is kinda strange how so many get mad??? your asking people respectfully to scale it down, not to hard right? on another note I feel the mods need to settle the ruling going on, how far will stuff like this go? if myself and 10 others don't like something here will you change/delete/ban it because 2% of us don't like it? if that keeps happening in a few years there will be nothing left here....... im not trying to be mean, I have family members with disabilities. just all a little strange to me, no disrespect to you Jeremy as I feel your a good person, just think about it................
    ^^^This.

At any given time, there's about 200-500 members signed on to HF, and there's what, 7000 members? How many are complaining about signatures?. Most of us go for years without making any complaint to the moderators at all. Then there are some I would be willing to wager that the moderators hear from all the time. They may be a very vocal minority, but they are a minority.

This site is set up so that the individual user can take care of these complaints without bothering the moderators:

1. They can shut off all signatures.

2. If a particular signature bothers them, whether due to content, size, color, or what have you, they can put that member on "ignore" and never have to see that one again.

This is the advice the moderators should give to members who complain about other members unless there is an actual TOS violation. There's no real reason for everybody to change their signature because a few people don't like the way they look, and that does seem to be the main complaint here.

If the moderators keep mollifying a vocal few, those with visual handicaps notwithstanding, then they will just keep on finding other things or people to complain about.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    If you stop posting......it will go away.

Problem solved
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    The needs of the few may out weigh the needs of the many in some cases??????????

I will change to help others in many cases...........however, I think that if you bring politics into this form I will demand my money back....

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast