Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    OK;

I've watched the video a couple of times and still can't figure out what I need to change and why. Font size doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, and the program requires the reader to turn on a function that will read links for him, so I assume he can shut them off as well.

How many users are we talking about here?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    Easy enough for most of us but I'm more concerned about those with visual impairments. See the video below.

If a visually impaired person is using an E-Reader, they have a lot more problems than big signatures. Seems to me this is more of a web design issue to accommodate those with visual impairments, rather than a responsibility of individual users. If it's important to the mods, then they should implement policy/design to accommodate visually impaired users. Maybe we should make a rule that trip reports should be written, with no pics or YouTube videos?

We don't even know how many users we're talking about because the definition of visually impaired is ill-defined, and the method of measuring visually impaired people is suspect. Nevertheless, the National Federation of the Blind reports that there were 6.7 million people reported to have a visual disability in 2012. So that's around 2 percent of the US population.

https://nfb.org/blindness-statistics

I have an incurable eye disease that has left me legally blind in my right eye and 70% vision in the other so I can empathize with those more visually impaired than me. I may one day be using an e-reader, and might be approaching the mods about altering their site design to better accommodate me. But I won't be asking individual users to make their sigs smaller - that's not an effective way to approach the issue.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-25-2014 at 15:13.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    OK;

I've watched the video a couple of times and still can't figure out what I need to change and why. Font size doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, and the program requires the reader to turn on a function that will read links for him, so I assume he can shut them off as well.

How many users are we talking about here?
    I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. Part of the issue is acceptability the other half is the excessive nature of some signatures and fielding the complaints that come along with it.

Part 1) Large text can be interpreted as a title or headline. Each line of text is read out loud by the screen reader. That's a lot to listen to each time. For the member in question signatures have been disabled so for them problem solved.

Part 2) I've fielded complaints about some people's signatures containing more content then their posts and they have a point in some cases.

I'm a bit discouraged at some of the responses I've received. I politely asked people to evaluate their own signatures, use their own judgement and make some changes. We could just disable signatures altogether but I feel that's heavy handed and unnecessary. I'm just asking for a little compromise.

I'm trying to accommodate as many people as I can.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    Everyone pause just for a few moments and take a deep breath. Relax.
    It doesn't seem like anyone has their panties in a bunch on this one. I'm genuinely curious how the video content relates to or contradicts the ability for someone to shut off sigs (or alternatively for an admin to do it for them). Zero snark intended.

As someone who doesn't use a sig and rarely pays much attention to them, I don't have any ponies in this race.

Edit: You just answered my question. Thanks!

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    It doesn't seem like anyone has their panties in a bunch on this one.
    Most of the responses have been positive. I received one PM that was rather nasty so maybe I'm over-reacting a little. If so I apologize.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    seems to me the issue was resolved long time ago: turn signatures off

Turn signatures off is the best solution. Why? Well let's assume in the best case scenario when EVERYONE today agreed and removed their signatures. Anyone joining the forum tomorrow would either never or not immediately know about this thread and so the issue will start creeping in again.

Solution is: Turn off signatures in your profile if some signatures cause you issues.
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

I too find excessively long signatures annoying, but what is great is we have the option to view them or not, no rule necessary.
    On a side note I think that by default the tapatalk app does not display signatures. So I am guessing if there is a large portion of the community that only uses their phone to view the forum, that they never see the signatures anyway.... Or vendor ads
    Last edited by JoshuaTrees; 11-25-2014 at 16:03.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    A bit new but a simple observation: If your signature is considerably longer than your typical post you might want to rethink it...

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I personally love people's signatures. I find them a handy and convenient way to hop on over to their ramblings in a blog, their antics posted at YouTube or easily locating products I'm interested in buying.

Sometimes I find that a member will post something really smart or informative, I look down, see they have a YouTube channel, and discover they have a treasure trove of info I'm interested in.

Mods, you can't please everyone. And don't try. Signatures have been a non-issue. You've gotten maybe a handful of pissers/moaners. It's your forum, pick a policy, and stick to your guns.

As a side note - signature has been modified to reflect my respect for private property
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Images
    As a person with a documented disability (I have profound/complete deafness in my right ear), I am as sensitive to the needs of the disabled as anyone. I personally have found ways to compensate, and in some respects, work around my disability. In truth, my greatest fear is losing the hearing in my good ear and being completely deaf.

That being said, I am willing to help but this is an open forum. There are levels of expression that are already censored (guns, religion, blatantly offensive speech, flaming) to name a few. Removing the signatures for everyone, while it would solve the issue for a small group, would not be an appropriate response to the issue. It is akin to swatting the fly with a hammer.

If those who are at issue with the signatures are not able to access the sections to shut them off, then I would hope that the moderators or someone else would have the ability to assist them in that regard by adjusting settings for them. If that is not an option, shucking signatures for everyone else is not really gonna help.

In truth, I am not married to my signature. I did one because I saw it was another form of expression among forum participants and I liked many that I saw. There are some I don't like but they likely don't have much affinity for mine. Each to his own and live and let sign. PYOP (Post Your Own Posts)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast