Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First hammock for small 12 year old - open to suggestions

I was thinking about getting my son a hammock for camping with his troop and wanted to get opinions on which is the better starter hammock. I've narrowed it down to either the ENO SingleNest, Grand Trunk Single or the Hennessy Scout. I am open to other suggestions though if any one has a affordable alternative. Would like to have a rain fly and netting but can add them on at a different time. Which is going to be the more durable hammock as far as a child using it goes. I'm worried about the Hennessy being bottom opening and it having the netting at all times and would like but really don't know a whole lot about hammock sleeping so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB / WBRR
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps / WB
    Images
    The hammock that is on Woot right now. It's a Yukon Outfitters, comes with the integrated bug net, it's perfect for a 12 y/o as far as size, and I have 5 of them so if you can't make it to Woot to get one, I will sell you one of mine. Still in the packaging, for what I paid +shipping.

It's a killer deal, I have a friend that I got one for who is shorter (5'4" ish) and it fit's him perfectly. We often carry them while bow hunting in the jungle in Hawaii and it makes the perfect spend-the-night rig, or toss-it-up-and-have-a-nap hammock for him.

I will second the concept of an integrated bug net. My kid (12) has a habit to kick things out of bed at night so the net will help keep it in. He started with the HHScout but has already moved up to the HH expedition. He isnot a big kid either. The HH is a nice starter since it includes a workable net and tarp.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    I purchased a Yukon Outfiiters hammock w/ integrated bug net for my 9 year old son last fall. It's reasonably durable and inexpensive enough that if he does ruin it I won't loose any sleep over it. He used his hammock for 6 nights on the LT this summer. The integrated bug net kept his TQ (and him!) in the hammock on several occasions.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speed clips
    Images
    I just bought a Yukon with bugnet for my son (10) for xmas... woot has them again ... $32 bucks shipped, you're not going to find a better deal!

http://www.woot.com/offers/hammock-w...ef=cnt_wp_11_2

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I had Randy at Dream Hammocks make my granddaughter a Dangerbird...she wanted Hot Pink ) She is 9 years old. She loves it and been out hammock camping 9 times in it. Randy got it done...great workmanship ...great service.

Turk3

I bought my 12 year old a Freebird hammock from Dream Hammocks. For $75, you get a great hammock custom made for you and the suspension system. I later purchased him a Buginator, but he did not like the bottom entry bugnet. I then purchased him a zippered bugnet from Wilderness Logics and he loves it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would go with the Hennessy Scout--you can't go wrong with pretty much everything included! I seriously considered one for my 12 year old Boy Scout for Christmas this year but he is very tall and growing like a weed. I went with an ENO doublenest for now and if he really likes it will upgrade him to something with a built in bug net later. Figure we can always use the ENO as a spare or it would resell well.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    My 12yo daughter loves her HH Scout. I can sleep just fine in the other one...5'10" 175lB. Not sure what they cost as ours were freebies with our Expeditions.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This time of year if you buy the HH expedition you get the scout Zip for free. Let him use the Scout until he outgrows it then sell the Scout and let him use the expedition.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast