long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by BambulanceMan View Post
    I am a new home hanger / nightly sleeper. here is my wife and I's setup! Whoopie slings / hook suspension with adjustable wall anchors. I got my dutch wide netless and my wife has a Hammock sky brazilian. I cant seem to get that 30% angle but its still super comfortable.
    Looks like you're golden! It's hard to beat super comfortable. Just be sure your anchors are centered on sound studs and Rock on! Maybe try a pair of porch-swing springs for shock absorbers. They're pretty stiff, not bouncy, but they will "soften" the stress on the walls when you get in and out or shift around. I got mine at Lowes a few years ago; about $8 or $9 for a pair then, near the chain and Quick Links etc.

I'd like to try those adjustable anchors. Where did you get them? I recall seeing them somewhere in hammockforums a long time ago but a quick search hasn't found them -- probably right in front of my nose. ( I hope the white hammock is only stored on the curtain rod and not "anchored" on it!)

If you're comfortable at the angle you've set up, don't worry too much if it's 30 degrees; it's a rule of thumb that works well for most people (and maybe is optimal for minimal stress on trees/suspension/wall studs???), but sometimes it's just not achievable in a given space or even optimally comfortable for wider hammies, so whatever works for you is good. Maybe look at the calculator: http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/ if you want help adjusting anchor height & suspension length for a given anchor (or tree) distance, ridgeline length (I believe the calculator assumes RL is 83% of hammock length), & preferred sit height. I prefer to hang mine a little looser, somewhere between 30 and 45* for ease getting out because my wide hammocks will entrap me with high, tight sides if not hung loose.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to go with the space you have. One of my hammocks is a 14 ft(!) Brazilian that hangs wall-to-wall across an upstairs loft with sloped walls. It's too long for anywhere in my small house except over the stairwell (NOT). I could tie a knot just below the clews at each end to shorten it, but instead I just hang it low on those sloped loft walls to get the max distance possible and 16-17" sit height. The calculator says it can't be done in that distance, but whatever angle it ended up, it's quite comfortable and one of my favorite sleepers!

Best wishes for many great nights with your new indoor hammock setup! It may take a week or two getting used to it "all-night, every-night", and you may need to tweak it a little if you notice any problems, but it looks like you're definitely on track for the win.
    (If there was a medal for Best Sleeper, hammockers surely would be the strongest contenders, right up there with babies and kittens.)

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Can someone tell me how you connect springs? Is it inline with the suspension, or connected perpendicular and attached on the wall?

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    I'd like to try those adjustable anchors. Where did you get them? I recall seeing them somewhere in hammockforums a long time ago but a quick search hasn't found them -- probably right in front of my nose. ( I hope the white hammock is only stored on the curtain rod and not "anchored" on it!)
    Dutch carries the anchors: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ad...e-wall-anchor/

There's another place where I got mine before Dutch started carrying them. I wish I could remember the name, but I don't. The only reason that might matter is that the other seller has a couple different types of hardware you can buy to connect to the main wall anchor, where Dutch only carries the hardware with the large loop.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony c View Post
    Can someone tell me how you connect springs? Is it inline with the suspension, or connected perpendicular and attached on the wall?
    Inline w suspension. Easy peasy. I have 2 on head end here just to lower it: no reason you can’t have one on each end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    Dutch carries the anchors: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ad...e-wall-anchor/

There's another place where I got mine before Dutch started carrying them. I wish I could remember the name, but I don't. The only reason that might matter is that the other seller has a couple different types of hardware you can buy to connect to the main wall anchor, where Dutch only carries the hardware with the large loop.
    http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratche...Tie-Down-Rails

They have the rails in different sizes, colors, and accessories to go with. I'm thinking about getting them here since 6" would be much less intrusive in my room and should be enough adjustment (I likely won't need any really)

On another indoor subject, I hung in my basement last night. Sometimes I'm comfortable, other times I'm not. This time was a "not"; my right heel was so numb!! It still feels funny after 6 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    Looks like you're golden! It's hard to beat super comfortable. Just be sure your anchors are centered on sound studs and Rock on! Maybe try a pair of porch-swing springs for shock absorbers. They're pretty stiff, not bouncy, but they will "soften" the stress on the walls when you get in and out or shift around. I got mine at Lowes a few years ago; about $8 or $9 for a pair then, near the chain and Quick Links etc.

If you're comfortable at the angle you've set up, don't worry too much if it's 30 degrees; it's a rule of thumb that works well for most people (and maybe is optimal for minimal stress on trees/suspension/wall studs???), but sometimes it's just not achievable in a given space or even optimally comfortable for wider hammies, so whatever works for you is good. Maybe look at the calculator: http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/ if you want help adjusting anchor height & suspension length for a given anchor (or tree) distance, ridgeline length (I believe the calculator assumes RL is 83% of hammock length), & preferred sit height. I prefer to hang mine a little looser, somewhere between 30 and 45* for ease getting out because my wide hammocks will entrap me with high, tight sides if not hung loose.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to go with the space you have. One of my hammocks is a 14 ft(!) Brazilian that hangs wall-to-wall across an upstairs loft with sloped walls. It's too long for anywhere in my small house except over the stairwell (NOT). I could tie a knot just below the clews at each end to shorten it, but instead I just hang it low on those sloped loft walls to get the max distance possible and 16-17" sit height. The calculator says it can't be done in that distance, but whatever angle it ended up, it's quite comfortable and one of my favorite sleepers!

Best wishes for many great nights with your new indoor hammock setup! It may take a week or two getting used to it "all-night, every-night", and you may need to tweak it a little if you notice any problems, but it looks like you're definitely on track for the win.
    (If there was a medal for Best Sleeper, hammockers surely would be the strongest contenders, right up there with babies and kittens.)
    OH snap! the springs are an awesome idea! Gonna grab some today.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony c View Post
    I do it like this:
    Wall-mounted cargo ring -- amsteel soft shackle -- porch swing spring -- soft shackle or dogbone -- hammock. Reverse on other end. Each spring adds about 8" to suspension length.
    I like soft shackles better than Quick Links or carabiners because there's no metal-on-metal creak! Also, I Plasti-Dipped my springs and let them dry with heavy weights on one end to "open up" the coils a bit while drying. The Plasti-Dip virtually eliminates any creak from the metal springs when I shift about in the hammock. The springs are heavy, not something I'd take on the trail, but so fine for indoors or porch!
    Last edited by WhollyHamaca; 08-23-2018 at 22:24.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post

They have the rails in different sizes, colors, and accessories to go with. I'm thinking about getting them here since 6" would be much less intrusive in my room and should be enough adjustment (I likely won't need any really)
    Thanks, akaCat and OneClick! I'll look into both sources. Cool that they come in colors. I think the 6" length would work well for me, too. My house is small and big hardware on the walls would be really noticeable --as if nobody would notice the hammock "coccoons" hanging on them during the day! (Bonus: all that daytime floor space after rolling up the hammocks, yet quick to deploy for indulging the Inner Sleepy-Bear.)

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    I hung in my basement last night. Sometimes I'm comfortable, other times I'm not. This time was a "not"; my right heel was so numb!! It still feels funny after 6 hours.
    I had that heel issue for a while, too. Also my toes would be squished if I was on my side. With arthritis anyway it was very painful to walk some mornings and lasted all day. I almost gave up on indoor hammock sleeping except for naps, but beds were too bad for my back. I'd have to get up and walk around every couple of hours. Things improved immediately when I changed to longer & wider hammocks and hung them with more sag. That combination gives me a much larger "sweet spot" and virtually no problems aside from sheer laziness when I get the chance. I call it "reading" but really that's only for about 10 minutes before Zzzzz.

(Sorry for three posts in a row! I had trouble replying with multiple quotes, for reason unknown. Probably operator error.)

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images

Cheapest is 12" in colors ($7.29)... Wonder if it could be cut in half if you drilled additional attachment holes...

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast