Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Wool might be a little heavy. There are light weight silk or polyester one’s that do the job and let you pull them over your nose if necessary and still breath through them.

If you raise the support heights and keep the hammock the same height off the ground - increasing the suspension length - you will get more sag. To keep the same sag, as you raise the ends, the whole hammock will be higher. If you can still get in it without accident, I don’t see a problem.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Wool might be a little heavy. There are light weight silk or polyester one’s that do the job and let you pull them over your nose if necessary and still breath through them.

If you raise the support heights and keep the hammock the same height off the ground - increasing the suspension length - you will get more sag. To keep the same sag, as you raise the ends, the whole hammock will be higher. If you can still get in it without accident, I don’t see a problem.
    That is true about the sag, I hadn't thought of it.

Do you guys mount your foot anchor higher on the wall, or the same height as your head anchor?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It’s common Hammock lore that, unlike ground camping, the foot end is often set about 6” to a foot higher than the head end. With the nylon hammock body, there’s a tendency to slide down to the foot end, even if both gathered ends are at the same level. Raising the foot end A LITTLE counters that tendency without standing you on your head. Note that the setup for the WBBB suggests a foot end about 18 inches higher than the head end - but that WBBB has a foot box that works with that more extreme geometry.

Whether you accomplish that by mounting the bracket higher, or raising the connection in the bracket (if it’s adjustable) or skipping that all together and just going level - up to you. You might experiment outside with a pair of trees to see if, an by how much, you want to have the foot end raised.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird (x2)
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    @slg45 I am sleeping in a similar setup (La Siesta, with the Dutchware L track, and two compression springs, etc) so thought I would offer a few replies:

Regarding quilts etc, I just use a regular bedspread type quilt / blanket. It’s just one of the cheap type you would find at Bloodbath and Beyond. It’s a queen size, so it’s huge. I put it across the hammock so there is a little overhang on one side and the bulk of it hanging off the other side (to my right). Then I lay on top of the quilt, wriggle around a bit to pull the wrinkles out, then I wrap myself up starting with my feet. If you have ever swaddled a baby in a blanket it’s basically the same thing. Works great for me as I get bottom and top insulation at the same time. Cheap, not too hot and easy to wash.

Regarding the springs squeaking, put a dab of grease on the center bars where they pass through the middle of the spring. I use Bel-ray marine axel grease, because I had it on hand, but I think any tacky type grease would work. Doesn’t take much and it quiets them down for at least 2 months in my experience.

I actually found I had more noise from nylon webbing in my suspension than the springs. I eliminated that in favor of amsteel loops and soft shackles, as I don’t need the adjustability of the webbing in this application.

The L track that Dutch sells is no different than what you could get from Cargo Control or some trailer supply type places, although when I looked I think his was cheaper because it was shorter lengths and I didn’t need a lot. If you see it elsewhere feel free to get it there.

When you get your La Siesta hammock, and it comes time to wash it, I recommend bundling up the ends with some rubber bands. That helps keep the lines on the end from getting too tangled. The thick rubber bands you find on Asparagus and broccoli at the grocery store work well. I put about 3 on each end and it saves some headaches.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    How Not to hang your Hammock indoors
    Anyone looking to setup an indoor slack line or super wide line to relax on...
    Ryan has been testing some anchors.
    https://youtu.be/u0ERuthyQsU

1KN equals 101.97Kg / 225lb
    If your suspension is at 30deg, each attachment will see your bodyweight.
    A tight hang could be 2x or more.and bouncing will create more force.
    Also don't forget that a safety factor would be a wise move.
    Last edited by Singlespeed; 06-04-2020 at 14:53.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Maybe Shug will post a video Unicycling on one of those wide lines -- but not over a canyon!

Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed View Post
    How Not to hang your Hammock indoors
    Anyone looking to setup an indoor slack line or super wide line to relax on...
    Ryan has been testing some anchors.
    https://youtu.be/u0ERuthyQsU
    That was a very informative video, thanks!

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Slacksnap is quite impressive.

I've just edited to add the KN to weight conversion for anyone wondering how heavy that works out at.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird (x2)
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I recently passed my one year anniversary of full-time hanging, and I can't imagine going back to a bed.
    Figured I would take this opportunity to offer encouragement to anyone considering indoor hanging, definitely try it.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
    I recently passed my one year anniversary of full-time hanging, and I can't imagine going back to a bed.
    Figured I would take this opportunity to offer encouragement to anyone considering indoor hanging, definitely try it.
    I’m right there with you CopaMundial. I have been full time in my hammock for close to 3 years. When we travel, I can’t sleep at night in a hotel bed. It’s the best move I’ve made for comfortable sleeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

• + New Posts
  • Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast