Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
    I've been searching through the forums and across the internet for a couple of weeks now, finally decided to pull the trigger on hanging in my room with the hopes of getting rid of my bed. The walls are 12 feet apart and I'm 250 lbs.

The main goal is to have a setup to throw in the washing machine on a semi-regular basis. It would also be perfect if I could get up in the morning and unhook one side of the setup to hang the hammock against one wall to save floor space during the day if I need to.

So far I've settled on a double Brazilian:
    https://www.amazon.ca/ValueHall-Outd.../dp/B07C4VBWB4

12 foot length, cheap, and with decent reviews. If it fails in a short amount of time or if I gain some kind of preference it seems like going DIY would be a good idea in the future.

For suspension I'm thinking a simple chain would work fine since I'm not a traveler and weight won't be an issue:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01M23RXNI

Finding proper eye hooks on amazon is surprisingly difficult. Do you have any recommendations or alternatives to keep in mind?

From there it's just a handful of questions.
    - The bedding I use currently is torn to shreds, do you have any blanket sizes or materials you really enjoy?
    - Temperature control in my room isn't an issue, should I worry about setting up an UQ anyway?

Thank you so much for your time, this is a shockingly complex little hobby lol. Hopefully this is the right place to post something like this, I looked for posting rules but was unable to find anything concrete. Apologies in advance if I stomped over some posting etiquette.

I placed wall hooks on a door frame and window frame in bedroom 15 ft distance. Turns out the window frame was pocket spaced on sides for the older sash/weight and pulley windows (replacement windows installed long before I bought the house) - had to find nearest wall stud next to window after my first hang resulted in a 6 foot 1 by 6 window side molding pulling out and plopping me on my butt, curtain and blinds landing on the floor next to me and my wife peeing her pants laughing and me. Window molding piece restored, my pride is still recovering - but I’ve been sleeping in my hammock for a couple weeks now (wife and I are over 50 - way past chasing each other around in a king size bed, we need restful sleep so we sleep in separate beds) I wake up refreshed with no back pain in my hammock. Thinking about selling my bed, we can use hers for our fun time (afraid fun time in hammock might result in wall coming down on us).

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Insulation
    AHE TQ+UQ toasty!
    Suspension
    Lapp hitches
    rmesnd: Spouse and I (also >50) sleep separately because our restful sleeping requirements are so different. But we share snuggle time daily in my hammock.

just6822: I've been full-time hammocking for a few years now. I've never installed wall hardware because they're not my walls. Been using various stands the whole time. Currently in a 15' Mayan, in a stand designed for back yard use, but set up indoors. Consequently, I have no help for you regarding hardware. Bedding is entirely seasonal. At the moment, with Minneapolis summer swinging between pleasantly cool and approximating the day-side of Mercury's surface, I'm using a standard cotton bedsheet. I don't know where in Ontario you are, but I found Toronto's winter (the one i spent there) milder than Minneapolis's. In winter here, I do use an underquilt, plus a technoblanket I've modded into a topquilt. And when it gets really bitey, I add a Hudson's Bay blanket on top.

I'm also in Ontario and always shop at Hammock Universe(I've bought 5 hammocks from them); not the cheapest but super fast shipping usually.

I sleep full time in a double Brazilian that I bought from them and use their indoor hanging kit(I recently renovated so I know what's in my walls). I DIYed my underquilt and recently added an electric blanket to it since we keep the house cold 17C(63F) and I tend to get chilled. I crocheted myself a top quilt with a footbox and love it and recently added a sheet to what a hammock camper would call a (non functioning)ridgeline to act as bed curtains to hold in the warm when I'm sleeping. I basically have a hammock fort

I hope you get a chance to sleep full time in a hammock indoors. I love mine and have been hammock sleeping full time for almost a year now - I'd never go back. I'm 49 and work in a job where I walk all night - I always feel great when I get up after sleeping. I love being able to wash the whole set up and I love how inexpensive replacing the hammock can be.

Cass

Hammock
    W.B. Elderado
    Tarp
    W.B. Edge
    Insulation
    H.G. Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchbeetles
    My next bed indoors will be a hammock

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    99% of the nights I appreciate sleeping in my hammock. The other 1%, like last night, get dicey. I had to make a quick run to the bathroom...photo finish. Not quite as quick compared to the bed when seconds count. Anyway, I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary. But I've been having some issues lately ever since, well, I won't go there but it rhymes with rovid rot.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird (x2)
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooze_89 View Post
    My next bed indoors will be a hammock
    I just passed the 2 year mark with my fulltime indoor setup and I can say with confidence that I will not go back.
    My grandson (3yo) loves it too and can't wait until he's big enough to have his own.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I've been full-time indoor hanging for about 3 years or so now (4?). I just had hip replacement surgery last week, and find that the hammock is easier to get in and out of than a bed. The hammock body also wraps around me, which makes it great for supporting ice packs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKGuy View Post
    I'd love to hang indoors but my 100+ lb dog wouldn't have it. He hogs the king size bed as it is!
    You should educate him better

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just6822, your first post - welcome to the forum. The Journey is one of, “What works for you.” but note that most sleeping (as compared to just lounging) hammocks you read about here are 10 to 11 ft long. The hammock you referenced is just 8 ft long. Also, attaching eye hooks to the wall is not a trivial endeavor. I’m sure you realize you can’t just put it in the sheetrock. If you are going into a wall, you need to be sure there’s a solid piece of wood behind that wall that the eye hook will screw into. And remember, if the studs behind the sheetrock are 2 x [something], that 2 inch (nominal - marketing descriptive term) edge is actually a 1.5 inch target. But wait, there’s more … That stud was put in to take a compression force from above - something pushing down on it. Your hammock will put a shear force - a sideways pull - on that stud. If you hang at about a 25 degree angle, you’ll be putting about 300 lbs pull on that piece. NOTE: I may be wrong here, maybe it’s just 150 lbs on each side. The point is, it needs to structurally handle that sideways force.

Many have successfully put hooks in their walls. I’m guessing many of them locate those hooks around window casings and door frames - places where there’s a abundance of wood (per building codes). It might be useful - if you have a house being built nearby - to stop by and see how the uncovered walls of the bedroom are framed; where they are strongest.

Or, you can use a hammock stand that you can put away. Sure, not as convenient as unhooking from one eye bolt and hanging both ends on the other. But it also takes, “what’s going on behind the wall” out if the equation.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast