Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nelson View Post
    I stumbled across this topic and looked for an answer but found nothing. My house was built with steel studs, so I can’t put an eye hook in my wall. There’s nothing I want more than to hang my BBXLC inside without a huge hammock stand.
    Steel beams?! My friend, are you the constructor of this fortified building you live in? Was it a chopshop or a military bunker? Steel studs would be a marvel to put sheetrock to. Maybe alumnim studs? Probably wouldnt use the aluminum ones either, no shear strength and all that. If they are steel, find a dude with welder to tack you some links of chain to your steel studs. Best bet: tensahesron stand. Smallest footprint, lightest, hides easy. Can be made for somewhere around $30, AND (username elides me) figured a way to chop the 8’ poles to like 32”+the collar to collapse the entire stand to fit inside a campchair bag. I built a $130 1” gaspipe stand that is soon going to become the clothes rack for my wife and i. Ima build ME a https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...sahedron-Stand sometime aoon.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    Economy Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    Steel beams?! My friend, are you the constructor of this fortified building you live in? Was it a chopshop or a military bunker? Steel studs would be a marvel to put sheetrock to. Maybe alumnim studs? Probably wouldnt use the aluminum ones either, no shear strength and all that. If they are steel, find a dude with welder to tack you some links of chain to your steel studs. Best bet: tensahesron stand. Smallest footprint, lightest, hides easy. Can be made for somewhere around $30, AND (username elides me) figured a way to chop the 8’ poles to like 32”+the collar to collapse the entire stand to fit inside a campchair bag. I built a $130 1” gaspipe stand that is soon going to become the clothes rack for my wife and i. Ima build ME a https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...sahedron-Stand sometime aoon.
    Maybe not steel beams but I know there’s some kind of steel reinforcements in my wall in place of wooden studs. This tensahesron stand sounds great but can I raise the foot end 12” higher while setting it up inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    This tensahesron stand sounds great but can I raise the foot end 12” higher while setting it up inside?
    Not only can you, tensahedrons basically require you to have the foot end higher for stability.

--
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Hi Eric, and welcome to Hammock Forums! Metal wall studs are great except when you want to attach something to them after the walls are finished. So I, too, cast my vote for a tensahedron stand. Portable, lightweight, folds nicely to lean in a corner with hammock furled around it to free up floor space, no need for holes in walls or floor, AND it's a cool minimalist design that seems to defy gravity -- what more could one want in a hammock stand?!?!
    I covet the commercial Tensa stand but I'm on a tight budget and needed several for visiting family & friends, so I went DIY at about $30 and 30 minutes for each stand using EMT conduit. There are threads on the Forums to build a very simple one, also several portable variations, so maybe try a quick and inexpensive DIY one first to see if it suits your needs. Then if you like it, for a very nice gift to yourself get the genuine Tensa for backpacking and air travel. Either way, you'll find several threads on the Forums with some amazing pics of tensahedron stands in the wild, and useful info to set it up & dial it in to suit you. And lots of folks happy to help!
    Cheers and BIG THANKS again to Latherdome for sharing the idea, prototype designs, and later developments with us, and also to the several DIYers who have devised ways to build a quick, easy & inexpensive "knockoff" tensahedron stand (the DIY versions are heavier & bulkier for backpacking, also less refined than the authentic Tensa, but mine are working well for home use and car camping).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF in Sylpoly
    Insulation
    Mod' WindHard Tiny
    Suspension
    Webbing + cinch
    I just got a couple of these Surface-Mount D-Ring Tie-Down Anchors (welded D-ring) and screwed em into the wall. They were just a couple of bucks each. Simple, cheap, and they fold down flat when not in use so you could hang a picture over em if you want them to be inconspicuous

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Renaissance; 01-03-2020 at 00:55.

Hammock
    DW/Haven Safari
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo

Indoor hammock hanging help

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance View Post
    I just got a couple of these Surface-Mount D-Ring Tie-Down Anchors (welded D-ring) and screw em into the wall. There were costs just a couple of bucks each. Simple, cheap, and they fold down flat when not in use so you could hang a picture over em if you want them to be inconspicuous

Capture.JPG
    That’s what I’ve used for about the past year and a half or so

Still holding up strong, no issues with bowing or coming apart. I weigh 220lbs.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF in Sylpoly
    Insulation
    Mod' WindHard Tiny
    Suspension
    Webbing + cinch
    Maybe not steel beams but I know there’s some kind of steel reinforcements in my wall in place of wooden studs. This tensahesron stand sounds great but can I raise the foot end 12” higher while setting it up inside?

Are you referring to these type of C-channel type studs? These are becoming more popular these days as they are lighter, and easier to put together than wood. They also do not require felling of trees and are recyclable. That being said, I do not know how well they will take point tension load like a hammock wall-anchor point. They are typically riveted or screwed together but that is just point 'tacks' to hold the assembly together and they greatly depend on the sheet rock laid over them. Wood frames on the other hand are structural in themselves (to a point) so sinking a couple of screws into a wood stud to hold up a hammock would be no problem at all.

Capture.JPG

If your walls are indeed made with these type of steel studs and you want to try tying into them to hang your hammock, you will need to get jack nuts or some other type of sheet screw-anchors which will spread the load else your screws may eventually rip through the stud's thin wall with repeated use. Not sure what the building code is in your area but the non-structural ones can get pretty thin.

Capture.JPG

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF in Sylpoly
    Insulation
    Mod' WindHard Tiny
    Suspension
    Webbing + cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoUSMC View Post
    That’s what I’ve used for about the past year and a half or so

Still holding up strong, no issues with bowing or coming apart. I weigh 220lbs.

Before I got these I was actually at a loss for quite a while...coz I dont like things being more complicated or expensive than they need to be. Looked at all kinds of different anchors. Looked at the "professional" / bespoke anchors and some other solutions. But I still refused to bite the bullet and pay for them.

In the end I came across these. I think they were marketed as truck flatbed tie-downs or something like that. I guess this is truly the simplest solution which is why so many people arrive at the same conclusion independently.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    ChinoUSMC, What length screws did you use?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW/Haven Safari
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    ChinoUSMC, What length screws did you use?
    I wanna say 3/8 4” bolts. The bolts came with the mounts I ordered from Amazon.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

• + New Posts
  • Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast