Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance View Post
    Before I got these I was actually at a loss for quite a while...coz I dont like things being more complicated or expensive than they need to be. Looked at all kinds of different anchors. Looked at the "professional" / bespoke anchors and some other solutions. But I still refused to bite the bullet and pay for them.

In the end I came across these. I think they were marketed as truck flatbed tie-downs or something like that. I guess this is truly the simplest solution which is why so many people arrive at the same conclusion independently.
    I used these from Home Depot in one spot in my basement. Very solid with some Spax screws in joists. And they don't make any creaking sound to my surprise.

I am renting and also interested in hanging my hammock indoors. I'm wary after reading the many warnings against horizontal load on wall studs and I don't have room for a floor stand.

I was wondering if using two structural metal brackets on opposing walls ( e.g. https://www.lowes.com/pd/USP-2-in-x-...Hanger/3725466) holding a 2x6 beam running the length of the room close to the ceiling and hanging a hammock from the beam would solve the risk of horizontal force by transferring it to downward force on the beam without having to take up a lot of room with a stand?

I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. Appreciate any input!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The bracket looks like more holes in the wall AND the width might mean only one side will be in the wall stud. However - not an engineer - I think transferring the load to the 2x6 beam will give you peace of mind. Perhaps you could support the beam with additional vertical pieces on each end. As the beam spans the room, those vertical supports would be at each end and against the wall themselves. With matching paint, they wouldn’t be to obtrusive. But, as one thing leads to another, now you need to control any side-to-side frame movement. So that might mean “feet” at the base of your vertical support, or some other way to disallow the sideways movement of the horizontal support at the ceiling..
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Definitely more holes in the walls. Since the brackets I was looking at have the holes for the mounting screws folded in I think they would all hit the stud figuring I can get it dead on and find a parallel stud directly across in the other wall. The vertical supports are a good idea. If at all possible I'd like to get by with the least amount of materials mostly to save money and labor.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I must have strong studs because I haven't had any issues.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by peeeeetey View Post
    I must have strong studs because I haven't had any issues.
    Me too
    I'm 280 and just moved and have been hanging on a knee wall
    All 2x4 studs
    I do like to live dangerously tho....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I got these wall anchors from Dutch for $30 something. Very nice, and adjustable. 225lbs and I've slept many night with no bow. Before this, I just used ⅜" eye flags for hundreds of nights with no problems

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Donfish06 View Post
    I got these wall anchors from Dutch for $30 something. Very nice, and adjustable. 225lbs and I've slept many night with no bow. Before this, I just used ⅜" eye flags for hundreds of nights with no problems

What screws did you use to attach them? Do you use the adjustability of the mount?

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    What screws did you use to attach them? Do you use the adjustability of the mount?
    I used 4" ext screws from lowes. I use the adjustability when switching between my DH Sparrow and SMR Ninox. Also I use it for my TRX exercise bands

Thanks for the help!

I mounted some cargo tie downs in my bedroom a couple nights ago. I had been sleeping in a tensa4 for a few nights before that, and in the backyard before that. It is nice to be in my bedroom again, but hammocking when your wife is in the bed has its challenges. One is the general noise that my synthetic hammocks and insulation make when I move. Another is the springs! I used two of those compression springs from Lowe's listed earlier in this thread. They make a lot of noise when I get in or out. I will have to look into plasti dipping them, but in the meantime, they are a no go.

Does anyone make a cotton down comforter that is shaped and sized like a top quilt? My usual down comforter is just too big to put in the hammock, and as mentioned, my katabatic top quilt is pretty noisy.

I used the hang calculator to figure my anchor height, but is there any down side to mounting them higher? As far as I can tell, the forces only go down, and if you have enough suspension, is there a down side?

I have a Dutchware L track on order, but I'm not sure that it will provide anything that a $5 cargo mount won't do, especially if I just mount them higher on the wall. I also ordered a La Siesta cotton hammock at Latherdome's recommendation. Aside from durability, possibly more comfort and easier cleaning, maybe it will help me be quieter for my wife!

I am a cold sleeper, but regularly take my 30 degree katabatic quilt outside and comfortably sleep in 32 to 36 degree temps. In the house, with the thermastat set to 65 (as usual), I feel like I need the full warmth of the top quilt, plus my 20 degree JRB UQ. I am nice and toasty that way, but not too hot at all. My exposed face is quite chilly, and I'm thinking of wearing a thin wool balaclava tonight. Anyone else experience this weird indoor coldness at what should be a pretty warm temp?

• + New Posts
  • Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast