Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thank you again... I also found these https://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Gym-Ki...ateway&sr=8-31 which do not have springs, or four holes...but they have a 2400 lb weight rating... This is driving me nuts!

EDIT: also, they are not sistered all teh way to the top... on the outside two are... the other two are cut and angled differenty at the top, I assume for aesthetic purposes... so I believe that attaching whatever I end up going with to the side, and getting loooong bolts to drill into the 2xs will be my best bet.
    Last edited by traviso71; 06-23-2019 at 18:41.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Those brackets are HUGE!!! The obvious difference aside from what you say is that the spring clips are rated to 600 lb, not 2400 like the brackets. You can get springs separately and probably pay the same price for everything as you would for the other set. Springs are highly recommended to ease the live shock load on the joists, also more comfortable when you shift about in the hammock.

In one of my past work-lives I was a computer engineer, not structural, so I'm absolutely NOT an authority in regard to load ratings and safety margins. Also, you may be more or less cautious than I am, hence I'm chanting the HYOH mantra here. (I'm also a card-carrying psychologist: Wanna talk about obsessive searching for the "best" solution?!! I get it, and I'm right there with you!)

I think you're probably right that the sistered joists probably were done for aesthetics and not structural. If so, is there any way to check which of those 2x6's in each set of 4 are true joists (structural) and which are cosmetic add-ons? e.g., maybe you can tell by looking closely where they meet the porch walls, and/or in the house attic just behind the wall where the porch starts. I suspect you'll find that only one 2x6 per set of 4 really is a joist. That's good to know so you don't put trust in what isn't there. If the porch roof is at a different angle where it joins the main house roof, then the porch roof joists clearly aren't continuous with the main house roof joists. That in itself isn't a problem: a lot of porches are built that way. The porch on my old house was like that, and I had a porch swing there for 40 years without trouble, but I made sure I knew how well the porch roof joists were attached to the main house framing before I hung the swing. Hammocks are different, though: Porch swings just pull down vertically; hammocks also pull inward. So given what you said about the apparently "fake" sistered joists, and assuming you're hanging across the porch from one joist to another (not along just one joist -- don't do that!), then you might still consider putting a 2x-something across the joists for the entire length between your 2 suspension brackets, with a couple of screws through the 2x at each joist. That will spread the load among the joists and prevent them or the porch roof decking from bowing inward. Not saying anything bad will happen otherwise, but ....

In any case, I think you're right to attach your brackets from the side with through-bolts to be sure you attach all the way through the "real" joist(s).

I'm not trying to be a scare-monger. Color me cautious. Soon you'll have settled your concerns, and then you'll be ready to hang your hammock with confidence, settle back and enjoy the Ahhhhh!

I would rather be overcautious myself... which is why I keep laboring over this... I am tornbetween the 4 holes 600lb limit, vs the 2 holes 2400lb limit.... I am leaning towards the 600lb, because I feel like the screw heads of the structural steel lag screws (6") would be more reliable , and more likely to break with only two holes... if that makes sense... it looks like I can get 6" SS lag screws... so they would chew into the actual joists that go all the way to the peak, on both sides of the 4 boards...

I am surprised to find these structural steel bolts recommended over taditional lag bolts.. but that seems to be a common thread when I look them up. I guess they are made from a much higher quality of steel, than the regular lag bolts.. which are cheap carbon steel...

This wouldn't be an issue if I only weight in around 180... **** the generics combined with the lack of dietary discipline!!!

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by traviso71 View Post
    I would rather be overcautious myself... which is why I keep laboring over this... I am tornbetween the 4 holes 600lb limit, vs the 2 holes 2400lb limit....
    Well, I don't think you're being OVER-cautious, just prudent, and apparently you value your life and limbs! The load limit for those 2500lb ones is for the bracket only; the clips are just 600lb, so if you use those clips the set is rated 600lb. That's the same load rating as the 4-hole set with springs. You definitely want springs! I didn't notice the weight limit on the springs, though. You might want to check. (I don't know about static vs dynamic or working weight ratings. I usually go for listed ratings about 2-3x my weight and then test my setup carefully, where I won't fall far or hard! No mishaps, so far. There must be lots of threads about "best practices" in that regard.)

I am leaning towards the 600lb, because I feel like the screw heads of the structural steel lag screws (6") would be more reliable , and more likely to break with only two holes... if that makes sense... it looks like I can get 6" SS lag screws... so they would chew into the actual joists that go all the way to the peak, on both sides of the 4 boards...
    When joining the 2x's together, regular strength lag screws are probably OK, as the screws are not weight-bearing. You don't need a lot of them; don't turn the joists into swiss cheese!
    But DO use SS bolts & nuts through the joists to install the brackets. I'm pretty sure that mounting the brackets with 4 bolts through the side of the 2x's is better than just 2 bolts, even though the 2-hole bracket takes bigger bolts.

I am surprised to find these structural steel bolts recommended over taditional lag bolts.. but that seems to be a common thread when I look them up. I guess they are made from a much higher quality of steel, than the regular lag bolts.. which are cheap carbon steel...
    For sure, get the SS bolts to install the weight-bearing brackets. I've had the regular (cheap) ones bend easily, and once had the head snap off while installing it with a hand-powered ratchet. IMO they're no good for weight bearing!

This wouldn't be an issue if I only weight in around 180... **** the generics combined with the lack of dietary discipline!!!
    Hah! I'd like to lose a few, but Cheezits, dark chocolate, sharp cheddar are high on my list of dietary necessities, and I'm about as lazy as my old cat when it's hot & humid (she chills all day in her own hammock)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post

Hah! I'd like to lose a few, but Cheezits, dark chocolate, sharp cheddar are high on my list of dietary necessities,
    Mmm, extra toasty cheeseits and a cold coke. Yessir!

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Mmm, extra toasty cheeseits and a cold coke. Yessir!
    I was hoping to forget about a few of my OTHER dietary vices, but now see what you've done. It's a loooong drive to the nearest store from here. Might as well pick up a pizza and some Cherry Garcia while I'm out!

Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    Well, I don't think you're being OVER-cautious, just prudent, and apparently you value your life and limbs! The load limit for those 2500lb ones is for the bracket only; the clips are just 600lb, so if you use those clips the set is rated 600lb. That's the same load rating as the 4-hole set with springs. You definitely want springs! I didn't notice the weight limit on the springs, though. You might want to check. (I don't know about static vs dynamic or working weight ratings. I usually go for listed ratings about 2-3x my weight and then test my setup carefully, where I won't fall far or hard! No mishaps, so far. There must be lots of threads about "best practices" in that regard.)

When joining the 2x's together, regular strength lag screws are probably OK, as the screws are not weight-bearing. You don't need a lot of them; don't turn the joists into swiss cheese!
    But DO use SS bolts & nuts through the joists to install the brackets. I'm pretty sure that mounting the brackets with 4 bolts through the side of the 2x's is better than just 2 bolts, even though the 2-hole bracket takes bigger bolts.

For sure, get the SS bolts to install the weight-bearing brackets. I've had the regular (cheap) ones bend easily, and once had the head snap off while installing it with a hand-powered ratchet. IMO they're no good for weight bearing!

Hah! I'd like to lose a few, but Cheezits, dark chocolate, sharp cheddar are high on my list of dietary necessities, and I'm about as lazy as my old cat when it's hot & humid (she chills all day in her own hammock)
    On the plus side, if you're hanging inside, it's pretty trivial to stick a matress underneath while you do the testing.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    On the plus side, if you're hanging inside, it's pretty trivial to stick a matress underneath while you do the testing.
    That's true, if you didn't already dump the beds years ago! We're an all-hammock house, no mattresses or big sofa, but by no means Spartan. Our visiting friends know that, and they're either accustomed to our ways or warned in advance in case they prefer to sleep on a clean floor and inflated pad. In any case, all hammock testing is done low to the floor, wall mounts, stands, & suspension cords are all checked frequently, and so far nobody has ever fallen!
    But yes, if you have a mattress or sofa cushions, by all means put it under the hammock while testing your setup.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I thought about that last night as I was getting in. I'm on my 4th straight week of indoor hanging. Loving it!!!!

My basement is concrete with a thin piece of carpet underneath the hammock area. I'm about 15" off the ground but I guess my head would fall from slightly higher. Enough to hurt if something gave. I don't really want to put a mat down just in case though. I guess I trust everything. Two spax screws per tiedown, 1200lb for those, amsteel CLs, and the wood joists look solid.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Stick a layer of CCF padding on the floor. You’ll be thankful...if something gives way.
    Expect to have the wind knocked out of you!
    BTDT
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast