Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
    I found a really nice option for a spring @ Home Depot.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...5641/202045480
    With a combined load capacity of 650 lb, it doesn't seem like the springs would have much effect for the average adult. Have you ever eyeballed or measured the amount of compression/extension when someone's in the hammock, or removed them to see if they really make a noticeable difference?

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaniner View Post
    With a combined load capacity of 650 lb, it doesn't seem like the springs would have much effect for the average adult. Have you ever eyeballed or measured the amount of compression/extension when someone's in the hammock, or removed them to see if they really make a noticeable difference?
    I've used those same compression springs every night for several years and recommend highly. (IMO extension springs don't fit the bill.) The spec is safe load limit, not what you'd really want to hang on them. I'm about 140 lb (not counting a kitty or two in the hammock). My brother is about 250 lb and has a similar indoor set-up as mine. I've never measured compression, but I can see the difference between loaded vs not. They also make a noticeable difference in feel, absorbing some of the energy when I sit down or get out or shift around in the hammock or my porch swing. And I feel a lot better about the lateral stress on the walls (spax screws & cargo rings on 2x6 studs) if I can't fit a stand in the room.

I won't hang a hammock on walls or ceiling without these compression springs. I include a pair of them with every "first indoor set-up & hammock" kit I give to friends. I also use one on tensahedron stands indoors to absorb shock on the tether attachment(s) to floor or wall.

(btw, last week I bought another 2-pack of these at Lowe's for about the same price as your HD link. I can't tell on HD web page if their pack has 1 or 2.)
    Last edited by WhollyHamaca; 10-30-2019 at 10:05. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    I've used those same compression springs every night for several years and recommend highly.
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's a brilliant idea and I'm definitely going to use the same kind of spring if I do a ceiling hang.

I just thought the rating seemed excessive for the purpose. Online you can find a large variety of ratings and I was thinking a set of springs with a combined rating closer to the intended load would be preferable.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's a brilliant idea and I'm definitely going to use the same kind of spring if I do a ceiling hang.

I just thought the rating seemed excessive for the purpose. Online you can find a large variety of ratings and I was thinking a set of springs with a combined rating closer to the intended load would be preferable.
    I'm not much of an online shopper (annoyingly slow internet out where I live), so I haven't looked very much to see what other compression springs are available online that would do the job. Maybe there are lower rated ones that might work fine for you. Remember that the point of the springs is to absorb the shock on your walls (or stand or ceiling) when you enter or move about in your hammock. Depending on your weight and how hard you sit down onto your hammock, much lower rated compression springs might bottom-out.

I started using the ones from Lowe's (maybe the same at HD?) because of their working load spec, local availability, and what seems a reasonable price for the number of pairs I needed for myself, several house-guests, and some first-timer gift kits. I like about 3X working load for all the parts of my suspension. I sometimes have multiple house guests so I prefer to have all the set-ups the same: quick, easy, safe, and reliable. The springs I use have proven to be safe for the heaviest of my guests (250 lb brother; he uses a stand, not the walls) so I just repeat the same suspension set-up without worries for any and all who visit. I know these springs are reliable since my brother and I have been using our original ones every night for several years. The springs are strong enough that I can use one to hang a hammock chair, and one for my very long hammock that can only have a very short suspension to just fit in the room.

Yeah, the springs from Lowes/HD are big and heavy! I'll live with their size and weight since I already have several. If there's a reliable source for smaller/lighter weight compression springs with similar working load specs and at a good price I'd certainly give them a try. But I wouldn't go less than 2-3X working load.

I'd appreciate your posting a link to whatever you decide to use, and how they work out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    I'd appreciate your posting a link to whatever you decide to use, and how they work out for you!
    Looking back at the HD link, that spring is rated for "safe working load". All the ones I've seen online are rated for the "load at deflection", which I believe only indicates the load required to fully compress the spring. I find it hard to imagine they would critically fail near that point so I was probably comparing apples to oranges. Given that everything I've found online is also significantly more expensive, I'm just going to start with the ones from HD/Lowes.

Edit: Oops, I was thinking that each leg of the suspension would bear exactly 50% of the load, which is very wrong. Thank goodness for the hang calculator which made me realize that's wrong, and YouTube physics videos for helping me understand why it's wrong.

That being said, after further examination I overestimated the dimensions of the room. I'll have to use a ridgepole setup which changes the equation significantly.
    Last edited by alphaniner; 10-31-2019 at 07:31.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Looking back at the HD link, that spring is rated for "safe working load". All the ones I've seen online are rated for the "load at deflection", which I believe only indicates the load required to fully compress the spring. I find it hard to imagine they would critically fail near that point so I was probably comparing apples to oranges. Given that everything I've found online is also significantly more expensive, I'm just going to start with the ones from HD/Lowes.

Edit: Oops, I was thinking that each leg of the suspension would bear exactly 50% of the load, which is very wrong. Thank goodness for the hang calculator which made me realize that's wrong, and YouTube physics videos for helping me understand why it's wrong.

That being said, after further examination I overestimated the dimensions of the room. I'll have to use a ridgepole setup which changes the equation significantly.
    Comparing different load specs can be confusing! Sorry you didn't find smaller+lighter+less expensive compression springs with similar working load rating. That might call for a metallurgical alchemist. Meanwhile I'm still trying to master levitation.

Gotta love the maths! Fortunately the Hang Calc makes it easier. Good thing you re-checked the room measurement before beefing up the intended joists and mounting your hardware up there.

I recall seeing a few HF posts showing a ridgepole suspended from the ceiling. You'd still want to be sure your ceiling joists can take the weight.

Another way to hang a ridgepole without worry about strength of (and potential damage to) wall studs or ceiling joists: Cut a pair of 2X4 or 2X6 to length of desired walk-under height, and cut a U shape on one end of both boards to hold your ridgepole on top. Stand the boards vertically on opposite walls, or adjacent walls across a corner if your hammock fits better there. Attach them to the walls with a couple of screws through each board into the wall studs, just enough to keep the boards standing up. Set your ridgepole into the U's on top. This is easier than making a stand, takes up almost no space, and the entire thing is quickly removable with just a few small easy-to-repair screw holes in walls.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird (x2)
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Here are a couple of photos for reference:

This is the spring at rest

This is the spring with me in hammock (ballpark 150lbs). I have one of these springs on each end of the suspension, but it’s the head end spring shown in photo:

It compresses a noticeable amount, but nowhere near the limit as you would expect given my relatively small size.
    I had the same setup before the springs, and adding them was a big improvement. The most noticeable effect is that the whole setup is more quiet and there is less jarring or shock load when entering, exiting, or shifting around in the hammock. I would have no problem recommending these for hangers up to ~250lbs, even if hanging from a stand. The only downside is they are too heavy for camping use, so I will probably only ever use them in fixed location setups.

To answer the question from @WhollyHamaca, yes the Home Depot link was for a single spring. If Lowe’s or anyone else has a pair of something similar for the same price then that would be a better way to go.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Thanks for measuring the spring under load vs not. That's about what I've eyeballed with mine: nowhere near fully compressed at 140 lb +/- a kitty or two.

The compression springs I bought at Lowe's are indeed $9.48 for a 2-pack (item number 192145; https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-0-5...Spring/3115801). Note that there are some errors on Lowe's page for this item! The springs are NOT just 0.56 diameter -- I wish they were! They're 1-9/16" x 7-1/4", which is the same size as HD sells. And the package label clearly says they're Porch Swing Springs (says nothing about doors on the package). Also, I just noticed Lowe's page (and the pkg) says they're rated for 300 lb each, not 325 lb each like the one at HD. But even if that's correct, the 300 lb load rating hasn't been a problem for my 250-lb brother, whose weight doesn't fully compress the springs, but I wouldn't go much higher than that. Anyway, I don't want that much weight pulling on my 2x6 wall studs, so I made him a tensahedron stand with springs on the tethers.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    Economy Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I stumbled across this topic and looked for an answer but found nothing. My house was built with steel studs, so I can’t put an eye hook in my wall. There’s nothing I want more than to hang my BBXLC inside without a huge hammock stand. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nelson View Post
    I stumbled across this topic and looked for an answer but found nothing. My house was built with steel studs, so I can’t put an eye hook in my wall. There’s nothing I want more than to hang my BBXLC inside without a huge hammock stand. Any ideas?
    Tensahedron stand footprint is scarcely bigger than that of the hammock itself, and easy to fold away and re-deploy as needed. Can use weights as anchors if no hardscape tiedown points convenient.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast