Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    ENO Superfly
    Insulation
    ENO Ember 2, Wooki
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I have thought about doing this for my kids. Our house has small bedrooms and the bed takes up a bunch of the space. I may give this a try!

Hammock
    Butt in a sling camper XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    EE Down Top Quilt
    Suspension
    Humming Bird
    I've been an on and off indoor hanger.

But I like to keep it simple

I just screwed two eye bolts into the joists in my basement and made sure they were far enough away from eachother so I could still hop in the hammock and I was good to go

Hammock
    RSBTR DIY
    Tarp
    12' SIL POLY
    Insulation
    VARIED
    Suspension
    DIY WHOOPIE SLINGS

safer indoor hanging

Go to the trailer dept. of your local hardware store and get bolt down d-rings. Using 2 lag bolts in each makes me feel much more secure.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I bought the largest lag eyeballs I could

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    Find about 2 inches of thread and centered them in the middle of the stud predrilling the holes slightly smaller than the diameter of the bolt.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak, Wooki
    Suspension
    Exped, Amazon Whoo
    Since 8 month I have this system:
    http://www.lasiesta.com/UR-H3/
    If you don´t have studs but brick walls this is what you need. I can recommend it

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Ive just built a box trailer and instaled a bridge hammock.

A little cheating as ive used 1 1/2" pipe for the supports.

Heavy cotton canvas for body and i have a foam matress as insulation.

Its winter here now and getting cold-3•C twice this week but nice and toasty.

Using a down quilt as a top quilt.

Doing casual work in different lications now so the start of a big adventure for me.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoUSMC View Post
    The bolts came with the mount, along with instructions on the size of the pilot holes before drilling the bigger holes (I don't remember the size of the bolts).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Older post here, but I thought I'd reply for anyone that uses the saddle anchors.

I've found that 3/8 Spax 4" long work well with these types of anchors. I also cut a small piece of wood and place it under the anchor when installing over drywall. The wood adds more surface area to the side of the anchor facing the wall and keeps it from digging into the drywall. I hang at an angle and i'm a big fella so the wood is important. The whole assembly gets painted to match the wall . Works well. Make sure to pre-drill the wood

496C4231-681A-47BE-B083-59821E0B917B.jpg
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    My DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    silnylon/poly DIY
    Insulation
    sleeping pads
    Suspension
    various
    I`m new to this forum..., my first thread reply and way of hanging around at home.

after testing some variants of "single" wall anchors in very squishy bricks covered with sheetrock(our house is made of..) i lost confidence... in walls generally!
    for the last 2 years i`m going with this solution:

WP_20171024_20_49_46_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20171024_20_49_12_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20171024_20_46_01_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20171024_20_46_25_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20171024_20_48_33_Pro[1].jpg

8x8x2 inch baseplates from sanded acrylic glass, attached with four 5 inch screws each.
    dyneema reinforced polyester rope loops with leather pulls.

suspension made from ~0.7 inch diameter dyneema ropes with knots every 2 inch for lenght adjustment and attached carabiners.
    wall distance is 13feet and the baseplate hight is at 5,5 feet.

i`ve used hammocks with various lenght/width/fabric/shape, no problems so far...
    these mounting brackets are heavy duty and they support weights up to ~250 pounds(tested 15 degree angle) without any sign of wobble or strange sounds(no metal on metal) when swinging around like crazy! ...till now...
    maybe one time the walls will tilt over, but the brackets doing their job!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I'm just a few days shy of five years of full-time hanging now, no bed.

I keep hoping maybe a full-time/indoor subforum will emerge instead of just this thread devoted to the topic, but maybe we're just not numerous enough yet. A dedicated forum sure would help the concept become more visible, attract consideration of the curious.

I feel almost evangelical about hammocks as bed replacements, so much have they helped with my former back and neck pain issues. They make economic sense too, not just money but in the larger sense of economy: spatial and material resources. Beds are literally the largest, heaviest things many people own besides cars, and the industry thrives on the waste of constant upselling, it being no secret that many people hate whatever they bought last. Mattresses are a $15 billion/yr industry, and pretty gross when you consider that they can't really be washed: sheets trap only so much. They're a huge problem in landfills: Google it.

Hammocks are at least several hundreds of years old, more likely thousands. Famously cool, they've worked as beds historically only in constantly hot places. Only in the last 2 decades has the concept of bottom insulation been applied widely, giving tents and pads a run for their money in the outdoor recreation sector, a small revolution. Camping is the tip of the iceberg, I think. Beds are next.

I already knew hammocks were comfortable from camping, but never set up indoors before the somewhat traumatic process of divorce meant I'd be moving a lot before re-stabilizing economically, so wanted a light portable sleeping arrangement. I first hung in a friend's basement, and immediately found it so wonderful that I've never thought to get a bed for myself since. The immersive cocooning sensation of a hammock is very comforting, grounding in times of trouble. I've moved 4 times in 5 years. I think of my hammock as home.

In fact, when I travel now and beds seem the only choice, I can't sleep. Last year I came up with the tensahedron stand, as a carry-on-luggage-dimension indoor solution that happens also to work outside. It's got the smallest footprint of any indoor stand I know, so it can tuck into a corner for instance or go on top of a twin bed where others won't.

Some things I've learned, in no particular order, beyond the basics that are common to camping practice such as proper sag, importance of bottom-insulation, etc:

Cotton canvas is the way to go. Synthetic camping hammocks have their place when packed size and weight are important, but their plasticky feel and slight noisiness is inferior IMO to cotton, and their sheer thinness means it doesn't take many nights before they become saturated with oil from your skin, then breathing less well and feeling gross until washed: more maintenance. There's a reason nearly all luxury conventional bedding is cotton.

Open mesh Mayan-style hammocks are indeed extremely comfortable, especially in the hottest weather, but not durable at all for nightly use, plus they leave a waffle pattern on skin.

Among canvas hammocks, bigger is better just like camping hammocks, but equally important is fabric weight. Thinner canvas is great initially, but will develop ruts within months that only get deeper. Flipping and laundering to shrink it back taut only helps slow down the degradation. Don't expect more than a year of continuous use out of a lighter canvas hammock. My current heavy canvas set (2 La Siesta Carolina doubles) go 4-6 weeks between launderings, and seem good as new after more than 2 years. Sometimes I think I should buy 4 more as insurance against them being discontinued, because they're that much better than the 3 other canvas ones I wore through.

If no AC and it's super hot, wet the canvas and point a fan at the underside. I've felt almost too cool at 95F this way. The thickness of the material keeps the evaporative cooling effect going a few hours at least.

Hanging from wall studs has been well discussed, but hanging from ceiling joists works fine too, and has the advantage of the lines generally not preventing a person from walking past without ducking. Ceiling joists are made to bear loads perpendicular, unlike wall studs and especially unlike masonry walls/columns.

Horseshoe-shaped neck pillow is perfect. Mine's loosely filled with buckwheat hulls, washable cotton cover. When sitting way off to one end in "chair mode", double up the pillow to prop head forward for reading, computer etc.

Buy some steel porch swing springs. Hang from those. Extra floaty sensation, and that much more protection for connection points, say when you have a friend in the hammock with you: the springs smooth out the load spikes from, say, a bouncy entry.

The marriage/sex topic. It's not a problem at all. Only if "sleeping together" is an accurate description of your love life might it be. As long as everybody's awake, hammock's a very nice place to be together. Sleeping? Each to his or her own hammock! As long as there's plenty of physical affection flowing one way or another, does it really matter if you're not under the same cover with your partner when actually sleeping?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Latherdome; 04-29-2018 at 23:30.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast