Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

Cuben Fiber Double Ended Stuff Sacks

About a year ago, I purchased a DIY Cuben fiber stuff sack kit from Yama Mountain Works. After watching his how to video several times to figure out how to make the sacks ( the video does not have a soundtrack ), I made my first of several cuben fiber stuff sacks and found out that it was not that hard. The sacks might not have perfectly flat and or perfectly straight seams but they work and I had fun doing it. Yama Mt Gear has since added step by step instructions with pictures to his web site here....http://www.yamamountaingear.com/diy-...r-stuff-sacks/on how to make the stuff sacks along with a new how to video. I strongly encourage you to watch the how to video several times before you start. You can find several other working with cuben fiber related videos on Youtube.

After making some more cuben stuff sacks, I got the idea of making a double ended stuff sack out of cuben. If you want to purchase one, Zpacks is the only company I know of selling them and theirs is advertised for use with their tarps so I do not know how well it would work for use with a hammock. It is very close in size to the ones I made and the price is very reasonable so it should work as a hammock stuff sack.

I am sure that the methods I used are not the only way to make these stuff sacks, its just the way I made them. Also there is no sewing involved in the construction of these sacks.

For the most part my project construction methods are the same as shown on Yama Mt Gear except I used 3M Adhesive Primer. The Primer promotes a much stronger bond between the adhesive tape and the cuben fiber and it ( or a variation of it ) is used in the construction of some if not all cuben fiber tarps. I have used the 3M Primer over the years and once 3M Tape sticks to it, it is very hard to get it to come off.

I started by measuring the double ended stuff sack that came with my Warbonnet BlackBird Hammock which works out to about 17” long by 9“ wide when laid out flat. I have made many double end stuff sacks out of ripstop and worked out that a 18” x 18” piece of material gets me fairly close to the size of the Warbonnet sack when you take into account seam allowances and the size of the drawstring channels. I figured that if worked with the ripstop, why change things at this point unless I needed to drastically change the size of the bag. I did make the second stuff sack using a 18” x 19” piece of cuben.

Taking your time, you can make complete your project in under an hour. Once you have done one, it will only take about 15 minutes to make another one.

Materials used....

• Cuben Fiber ….0.51 oz Cuben Fiber from RipStopByTheRoll ( Light gray, semi-transparent ) for main body of sack. There are several other sources. You can use a heavier weight material if you want.

• Cuben Fiber Seam Tape / Repair Tape for re enforcement of corners from Zpacks..optional
    • 2 Mini Cord Locks.....EBay. You can use any cord locks you want.
    • Braided Mason Line.....Lowes Hardware or any other line you want to use. Just make sure it will fit you cord locks.
    • 3M ...VHB Double Sided Adhesive Transfer Tape ..EBay
    • 3M ….94 Primer – Ebay ….optional
    • Cheap paint brush ….optional

I recommend using a large cutting mat for cutting your materiel on as the the measurements on the board will help keep your lines straight when cutting material and lining up seams. You will also need a good straight edge.

You can cut the cuben fiber with scissors, razor blade or a rotary cutter. I prefer a rotary blade and a long straight edge.

If you need to place reference marks on the cuben fiber, you can use a # 2 pencil and or a fine point black magic marker. I use a pencil.

I always use a seam roller ( as shown in the pictures ) to ensure I am getting a good bond between the adhesive tape and the cuben fiber.Please be sure to do so each time you place a piece of adhesive tape on the cuben fiber. If you do not have a roller, you can use your finger nails. Be sure and get both sides.

While you do not have to use the 3M Primer, I recommend you do so to ensure a strong bond.

Where ever you place the adhesive tape on the cuben fiber, a bit of adhesive might squeeze out when pressed. Just use the ball of your thumb to rub off the excess adhesive.

I started off by cutting the Cuben Fiber to a 18” x 18” size.

I then folded all four corners over using my cutting board as a guide for the fold to form a triangle of 2” long on the sides. This sidewill be the inside of the stuff sack. I used seam roller to make sure the cuben fiber had a nice crease. I then added two pieces ofadhesive tape to the bottom side of the triangle. I then removed the tape backing and pressed it into the cuben fiber. Repeat on the other three corners. I did not use the 3M Primer on this part as there is little if any stress on the folded corners

I then painted on a thin layer of 3M Primer 1/2" wide along one length of the cuben fiber, waited a few minutes to allow the Primer to dry.Then I cut a piece of 3M adhesive tape and place the sticky side on the cuben fiber. I then turned the cuben fiber over and pressed it to ensure a good bond.

I then cut a long piece of braided mason line for the drawstring. I like to insert the drawstring while I am making the channels as it saves the hassle of trying to thread it through the channel after the fact.

Next I folded the cuben fiber over using the cutting board as a reference to make sure that the location of the fold would allow enough room for the drawstring channel. Once I had determined the spacing for the channel ( about 1/4 of an inch ), I laid a piece of blue painters tape along the mark to ensure a straight edge and then painted on a 1/2” wide strip of 3M Primer where the adhesive tape would go. I allow a few minutes for the Primer to dry and then peel back the tape and using the blue painters tape as a guide, pressed the adhesive tape into place. Repeat on the other side. Be sure to remove the blue tape. You do not have to use the blue tape, it just acts a reference line.

If the drawstring gets stuck on the adhesive inside the channel, tug gently on the drawstring to break it free. Be careful not to pull the drawstring out of the channel.

Now you need to tape up the long side to finish the stuff sack. There are two ways to do this. One is to use the method shown on the Yama Mt Gear's how to make a stuff sack. The other is to off set the tape on the top and bottom of the cuben ( see my crude picture in the third post ). The first method will give you a slightly thicker seam and slightly reduces the circumference of the sack and the second method will give you a thinner seam and make for a larger circumference. Both methods work so you just have to decide which system works best for you.

My finished stuff sacks weigh in at.......

Sack # 1.....0.4 ounces or 11 grams and is 15.5” Long and 8” wide (from the 18” x 18” piece of cuben )

Sack# 2 …...0.5 ounces of 14 grams and is 16.75” Long and 9” wide (from the 18” x 19” piece of cuben )

Here is a link to the places I have found that sell cuben fiber and cuben fiber tape.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1smRvLm6NB-wyi6tIDdkIQaH4-g7cKBlKwunjSAfxhys/edit?usp=sharing

The 3M Primer and 3M Adhesive tape was purchased thru EBay
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 11-25-2014 at 23:12.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    More Pictures of project...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Last of pictures....

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Nice Gunner. I have been considering making these and this is a good tutorial.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have been considering making these
    Once you do the first one, it is very easy to make more. Some how I suspect if you make one, some Ti Bling will work its way into the build.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good instructions. You didn't specify which adhesive transfer tape you used, but a number of them work very well. I use 9460, but some sources suggest 9485. The use of 3M Primer 94 makes either one extremely strong. For stuff sacks, I suspect you could do without the primer, too.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have one that my hammock and quilts get stuffed into. I've discovered that glowire cord is abrasive enough to abrade through the cuben at the edges of the channel. I'd recommend that if you are making these as stuff sacks that you reinforce the inside of the channel with some grosgrain. It's probably sufficient to just reinforce the first inch or so at each end because that's where all the force is applied. I wouldn't worry about this for ditty bags that never see any load on the cord.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    . I use 9460,
    That is what I am using and as you stated there are several different tapes that will work. Which is the best one, I have no idea.

This site has some test info on some different adhesives being used on cuben http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20R...t%20Tests.html

I did not use primer on any of the cuben stuff sacks I have made.

glowire cord is abrasive enough to abrade through the cuben
    I don't use glowire. Hopefully the braided mason line I use will not cause wear. I did re enforce the outside edges of the channel where the drawstring comes out off.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Great tutorial gunner, thanks for sharing! Dutch recently started offering CF fabric and tape.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Excellent writeup! spot on to my experience working with cuben.

Some more notes for those starting:
    I've found the best place to buy 3M tape and primer to be,
    http://www.bindingsource.com

I've settled on two tape strengths when working with Cuben, 9485 where absolute strength is required. It has the highest bonding strength of all the tapes useful for Cuben; and 950 which is roughly half the strength but not significantly more than tapes of weaker strength (ie best strength to cost ratio).
    I use the 9485 for tarp ridgelines and tieout patches. Everything else I use 950 (edge folds, stuff sacks, etc). For stuff sacks like this I would use 950 of 1/2" width.

9460 is a little weaker than 9485, but not significantly cheaper.

I also use a foam brush for applying primer, it's seems more controlled than a standard brush. I've also heard some people will use a "dauber", but they're harder to come by and cost more than the <$1 foam brush from your local hardware store. Also, the primer will evaporate fairly quickly if you leave the jar open, so make sure to seal the jar top well when not being used!

Mason's line should not pose any abrasion issue for cuben under normal use, I use it for my stuff sacks as well.

I've used a straightened wire coat hanger to make my pull string passage, I find it's a good way to help keep the fold line straight, then you can use it to pull the mason's line through after you're done sealing the tape.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast