Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Exactly what I needed. Thanks for the tutorial!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Thanks for the tutorial!
    glad to be of help

I've used a straightened wire coat hanger to make my pull string passage
    excellent idea

Dutch recently started offering CF fabric and tape.
    I will have to check it out and add it to the list of resources

I've found the best place to buy 3M tape and primer to be,
    http://www.bindingsource.com
    I will add that to the list of resources.
    Last edited by gunner76; 11-25-2014 at 10:50.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    11' SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I was wondering if anyone knows the practical differences between the 3M tapes (9460, 9485) and the tapes that are currently sold by the cottage vendors (Dutchware, RBTR, Zpacks)? I have no idea what kind of tapes (brand, grade, etc.) the cottage vendors are selling, just that they say they work on cuben fiber. I saw the following warning on Zpacks, and I was wondering if any of the other tapes would work better for a no-sew tarp application:
    "Caution - this adhesive can handle extreme cold, but it does get a little gooey in high heat. If it is under tension when warm it can slide. If your seams will be under tension it is better to sew them first and seal them with single sided tape strips."
    Would using the 3M primer with the tape from the cottage vendors make any difference? I was leaning toward the adhesive tape from Dutchware because I can buy it by the foot and not have to get an entire roll, but I want to use something that's not going to fail.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    the differences are the strength of the glues, and in some instances (depending on the specific tapes) what materials they adhere to best. 3M provides several PDF documents that document the differences in the various measurable aspects of the tapes (Adhesive thickness, adhesion to polypropylene, temperature resistance, UV resistance, plasticiser resistance, solvent resistance, etc).

The tapes the cottage vendors are supplying are one of the several 3M tapes, which one specifically you would have to ask or purchase to see how they are marked.

The cost of the tapes vary based on adhesive strength (and tangentially related to that, tape thickness) and tape width. I purchased rolls of the various different 3M tapes in various widths depending on what my expected use for them was. For example, edge folds of cuben for say, a tarp, does not require a high strength or wide width, so I purchased a lower strength tape of the widths for these types of folds. For ridgelines, edge joints, and pullouts, I purchased higher strength tapes of varying widths and absolute strengths.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/7...oduct-info.pdf
    http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1...hesive-300.pdf

etc

Additional thought: all these tapes will become more gooey as temperature rises, the resistance to that effect varies. As well they will all become more "brittle" as temperature drops. For things like stuff sacks this should not be a concern, however for things like ridgelines and pull outs it very well can be. I've found that it is best to not rely on taped ridgeline pullouts for absolute tension. Something along the lines of the Dutch continuous ridgeline,
    https://dutchwaregear.com/continuous-ridgeline.html
    (or your own DIY version obviously)
    is a great way to get a good tension without stressing the tape on a cuben tarp. In some ways it adds weight to the system, yes, but even sewn cuben will see deleterious effects under this type of stress, especially for a hammock tarp tied off to trees. That said the line is fairly light, and I've found the continuous ridgeline systems to decrease my setup and adjustment time as well.
    Last edited by TinCanFury; 07-13-2017 at 10:03.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    @ACoffee, the last I heard, Zpacks and most of the other folks sell 3M 9460PC, which is a 2 Mil. It's very good but for high-ish stress applications, 3M primaer is highly recommended. I opted to use 9482PC for my last shelter build and it was wonderful but buying a whole roll for smaller projects isn't economical and you are better off getting 9460 from the cottage vendors.

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    11' SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks for the info!

My math says I'll need at least 20 yards anyway, so I guess it makes sense to buy a full roll and have plenty left for other projects (because additional projects always come up ). Group buy anyone?

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by ACoffee View Post
    Thanks for the info!

My math says I'll need at least 20 yards anyway, so I guess it makes sense to buy a full roll and have plenty left for other projects (because additional projects always come up ). Group buy anyone?
    That 1/2" will work great for fully taped seams and is exactly what I have used for shelters. However, it really needs to have a 1" single-sided tape run over the seam after connecting your panels. I suppose you could use two widths of the 1/2" to make 1" tape but it would be extra work. FWIW, making your own single-sided cuben tape is pretty easy and very economical. I only make my own tape now that I have the 3m tape laying around.

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    11' SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    That 1/2" will work great for fully taped seams and is exactly what I have used for shelters. However, it really needs to have a 1" single-sided tape run over the seam after connecting your panels. I suppose you could use two widths of the 1/2" to make 1" tape but it would be extra work. FWIW, making your own single-sided cuben tape is pretty easy and very economical. I only make my own tape now that I have the 3m tape laying around.
    Thanks, I was wondering about seam widths. I was planning to double up the 1/2" tape to make a 1" ridgeline seam, but would 1/2" be enough if I add the single-sided tape as reinforcement?

Also, making your own 1-sided reinforcement tape is just applying this transfer tape to a sheet of cuben fiber, and trimming it along the edge of the tape, right?

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by ACoffee View Post
    Thanks, I was wondering about seam widths. I was planning to double up the 1/2" tape to make a 1" ridgeline seam, but would 1/2" be enough if I add the single-sided tape as reinforcement?

Also, making your own 1-sided reinforcement tape is just applying this transfer tape to a sheet of cuben fiber, and trimming it along the edge of the tape, right?
    Seam Widths - I have been really happy using 1/2" to connect the panels then reinforcing over the top with 1". Plenty of compelling arguments for either way but this one has worked for me so I will keep doing it. I also have no problem recommending it since I've had zero issues.

Making Tape - You got it. And you get to choose the cuben strength based on your project's needs. For a shelter, I would just match the cuben you use for the tape with whatever you're using for the actual tarp. I.E. I use .51oz for shelter and use the same to make the tape. On the other hand, I'm currently making a framed pack and opted to make the tape using stronger 1.0oz cuben since pack seams take so much stress.

Edit to add: it's super easy to make. Once you lay down the 3m tape on the sheet of cuben, a razor blade will glide smoothly along the edge of the tape's paper so they come out really nice. With that, I found that laying down one piece at a time and cutting is easier. I once tried to lay down three strips of tape next to one another to speed up the process. I would then just cut each one and end up with three lengths of single-sided tape. My thinking was that I wouldn't have to tape, then cut, then tape, and so on. I could just tape tape tape, then cut cut cut. But...the blade doesn't glide as nicely when there's tape on both sides so it didn't work out as well. Definitely do one strip at a time.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Aaaaand I just realized you're in Indiana also?! How cool, where are you located?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast