Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

Mulitcam UQ from UGQs

I first met Paul and Missy, the owners of UnderGroundQuilts at the first Smoked Butt Hang in 2013 and again at the Fall Sprawl Hang that year. Both times they had samples of their products for us to ooo and aaa over. Paul spent some time going over the details and features of their UQ's and did not seem to be bothered by my many questions. I must admit I was very impressed with the attention to details and thought that went into the design. Since then I have wanted to get one of their UQ's.

At the Grayson Fall Hang I was lucky enough to win the two gift certificates that Missy and Paul donated to the raffle. So a big shout out to them for the donation. I used one GC to purchase the UQ and the other to purchase a Winter Dream Tarp.

From UGQ's........

UGQ Zeppelin UQ

A ZEPPELIN Under Quilt is one of thebest ways to stay warm in your hammock. All ZEPPELIN Under Quilts shells are constructed from illume15™ a light weight 15d 0.9oz DWR Ripstop Nylon and feature 11 dual differential cut chambers. Each chamber is filled with the right amount of down, either HyperDRY™700+ GDD or HyperDRY™ 850+ GGD, your choice to a density of 130%. We provide more down and smaller chambers than most other cottage quilt makers resulting in better distribution and stability of the down chamber. The combination of the our illume15™ DWR shell material and our HyperDRY™ down means your quilt will be protected from moisture related issues and retain its loft much better than other quilts using untreated down fill.

Each ZEPPELIN Under Quilt includes draft collars, full channel suspension w/ s-biner attachments, 14-18 secondary connection points, foot/head draw cords and removable secondary suspension. Sil Nylon stuff sack included.
    When I talk about options I am referring to stock options, not custom work which UGQs can do.

Several Options including fabrics......

Being a Marine I wanted the Mulitcam fabric but UGQs was out of it ( at the time I ordered the UQ just about everyone else was/is out of stock of multicam due to the manufacture having licensing issues with the fabric ). So I choose the Hunter Green for the outer fabric and Burnt Orange for the inner fabric. About 2 days after I placed the order UGQs announced they had received a roll of Multicam so I contacted them and they were able to change my order.

700 or 850 fill down ( and this is the new HperDry treated down that is water resistant )
    As UGQs puts it....
    The 700+GDD willkeep more $$$ in your pocket but put a little more weight in your pack, car, or canoe. The 850+GGD will lighten your pack load but itwill also lighten your wallet.
    It seems most of the hammock cottage vendors are switching to a water resistant down. While it cost a bit more, it does give one some peace of mind as downs biggest draw back other than price has been that if it got wet, it does not insulate and takes forever to dry.

Each UQ is available with up to 5 ounces of down over stuffing. I went with 850 fill and 2 ounces of over stuff of down.

Size ( as in how long )...3/4 or 55"long, 7/8 or 66" long, Full Length or 77" long and Long or 83"

As I am 6 ft 2 and I was getting a UQ to use for cold weather hanging, I went with the 7/8 length. I chose the 7/8 length as that size while not a Full Length for me, it would be very close and not be as bulky or weigh as much as a full length UQ. I plan to use this UQ as my main cold weather UQ.

The last available option is the Dream Hammock Pack Hook Modification.
    To be used in conjunction with Dream Hammock pack hooks this optional modification allows for direct connection of the primary suspension to the pack hook located at your outer most shoulder. Dream Hammock offers a matching modification fortheir hammocks making our Zeppelin Under Quilts STICK to yourshoulder like they are glued..
    While I do not have a Dream Hammock and do not have one on order, I figured it would be a good idea to add this option the UQ is case I ever get a Dream Hammock and or have to sell the UQ.

It took about 3 weeks to get the UQ. One of the fun parts was checking UGQ's web site where you can see a listing off what items have been ordered, where they were ordered from and where they are at as to order placed, production, ready to fill ect.

When the UQ arrived I was leaving for the Hunger Hang and and did not have time to inspect the Quilt other than to verify that it was made with Multicam and Burnt Orange. As a bonus they included a very nice fleece beanie ( which can be bought separately )

Since then I have used the UQ at two group hangs and for two nights in the back yard when the temps reached 23 degrees one night. I stayed toasty all night and my only complaint is from having to get up to answer natures call in the night. And, no, I do have nor will I get one of Dutch's Pee Bags.

At the Hunger Hang I did notice that my left shoulder would get cold and when I reached over the side of the hammock I could tell that the UQ had shifted. I had this happen once or twice a night. Once I moved the UQ back into place I was toasty. Since then I have been using triangle thingies to help keep the UQ from shifting and I have not noticed the UQ moving anymore. The UQ does come with tabs that can be used with quilt hooks on the hammock. I have not decided if I will add matching hooks onto one of my hammocks as the triangle thingies do a good job at keeping the UQ in place.

I still have some fine tuning to do as to exactly where I will get the best coverage under me. I have a feeling that as this is almost a full length UQ, a couple of inches either way, foot or head, will not matter.

My next challenge is to hope for some near 0 degree weather to see how low I can take this UQ.

From UGQ's

20*F/-6*C ZEPPELIN UNDER QUILT

Size Chambers Stuff Sack Loft Length Width Fill/Total
    7/8 66” 11 7”x 12” 2.5” 66” 47” 11.5 oz / 24 oz
    I ordered the UQ with an extra 2 ounces of over fill and the multicam fabric would add about another 1 or 2 ounces of weight so that should put the total weight at about 28 ounces. Actual weight is 1lb 13.6 ounces with stuff sack ( 29 ounces without stuff sack or 30 ounces with )

Quality of work....excellent. Seams are straight and if there are any missed stitches ect, I have not found them.

Conclusion....I look forward to using this UQ in the future and highly recommend UGQs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 11-21-2014 at 13:58.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx, Yeti, Rev 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    WOW, that looks nice. I just received in today my material to make my first DL DIY hammock and I got Multicam and Burnt Orange. Those colors look awesome together on your UQ.
    Aim for the moon, if you miss, at least you will still be among the stars.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Those colors look awesome together on your UQ.

thanks...I was a bit worried how they would look together but I am very happy with the results.

Good luck on your project. Please post pictures when you are done.

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Lookin good, gunner! Nice report.

One day I'll have to get myself something like that!

RedStix

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Those colors look great. I have an ambush quilt being shipped right now. I agree UGQ are fantastic to deal with.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    One day I'll have to get myself something like that!
    The only reason I could afford to get it at this time was due to the GC

I agree UGQ are fantastic to deal with.
    Most of my communications have been with Missy. Always quick to respond to my many ??????.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Congrats Gunner. Guess you'll need to hit the trail soon to try em out.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Hope to get out on the trail soon.

The Terminator asked if I was hanging out tonight as it is suppose to get down into the 20's again. Told her I had not checked the weather report and I already brought all the gear inside. May set up some stuff tomorrow depending on what is going on.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Missy and Paul's crew are fantastic! Hopefully I'll get an up close look at the handiwork pictured about at the Florida Hang in January.

UQ's are kinda like iPhones to me. Once you have one, you don't know how you ever managed without it.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I am hoping I can make the Florida Hang in January but my chances are slim to none.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast