Continuous Ridgeline?

I'm pretty new to hammocking and I've heard this term thrown around a lot so I am curious as to what this is

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Generally speaking a continuous RL refers to one that runs tree to tree for your tarp to hang on. There are 2 common types of RL's. Many hammocks have a RL that helps to set the sag of the hammock...it connect to the 2 end points on the hammock. These can be of a fixed length or an adjustable length to vary the sag of the hammock to alter the comfort there of. The 2nd kind is a tarp RL. These can be continuous or 2 piece...from end corners of tarp to tree of each side. There are all sorts of variations of both.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Don't know why I missed this response until now, thanks for clearing that up for me!

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20+1
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was going to ask a similar question however if a hammock ridge line "sets" the hammock at a "set" distance for a perfect hang is there a measurement that works for the length mathematics of the hammock? And what type or thickness paracord works for this since I assume the weight of the hang goes from straps to the ridge line suspension and not the hammock.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Yes, most folks find that about 83% of the hammocks Lenght is in the ball park. Though many just use that as a starting point, a guide line not a solid rule.

Paracord is a no for use as a RL. It stretches which through the corse of the night would change and affect the consistency of the hang sag. Para odd while popular with many throughly has no usefulness in hammock suspension. You want a cord that will not stretch and change your hang.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk i View Post
    I was going to ask a similar question however if a hammock ridge line "sets" the hammock at a "set" distance for a perfect hang is there a measurement that works for the length mathematics of the hammock? And what type or thickness paracord works for this since I assume the weight of the hang goes from straps to the ridge line suspension and not the hammock.
    a good starting point is to make a hammock RL 83% of the total length of the hammock. So if your hammock measures 100" in length, make a ridgeline 83". Making an adjustable RL can help determine the best length for you.

Some people subscribe to the 10:1 rule where the cord in hammock suspensions should have a breaking strength of at least 10x the load.

I wanna scratch the word 'paracord' from your vocabulary as paracord is quite useless in most hammock applications simply because it will stretch. The breaking strength of paracord (usually 550lbs) can work for most people, though it defies the 10:1 ratio I stated above (I've hung on less using strong, non stretch rope like Zing-It or Lash-It or Dynaglide). 7/64 Amsteel works great as a RL with a breaking strength of around 1600lbs as will 1/8 Amsteel with a breaking strength of around 2200lbs.

It's important to have strong tree straps and hardware because those components will take most of the load when hammocking, but a strong RL is important too because sometimes you cant help but put it under stress. You'll load the RL only when our hang angle is less than 30°. The closer your hammock suspension is to 0° the more force you will but on you supports AND your ridgeline.

Tarp ridgelines see little stress and can be made from lighter weight cord, but you'll still want something that doesn't stretch.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

• + New Posts