Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I always had one of those rope hammocks for as long as I can remember - always took naps in the summer out on the porch. Then about four years ago, a friend invited me on an Adirondacks canoe trip. He said, "I'm buying a camping hammock." Camping hammock? What's that?

He bought an ENO setup; I bought a Hennessy. Haven't seen the ground since!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    First tried a hammock on the AT back in the early 70's. Was old fishnet style and it was not comfortable so I did not pursue it. In 2009 I started looking for a lighter weight tent and found this site. Did my research. Ordered a BlackBird for the wife ( as I knew if I could get her on board with a hammock I would not have problems ordering more hammock gear.....long story short...she tried it...she liked it ) and I joined the site. Have been happily hanging since
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, bonefire, dutch
    Tarp
    superfly, HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Huggers / Whoopies
    I was looking for ways to decrease the backpack weight. I thought about the ground and tarp shelter but since I prefer winter camping I figured that would be to cold. Then since I had a ENO hammock but had never use it, I started researching hammocking. I took a spur of the moment overnighter at the end of last summer with the ENO and fell in love with it. Since then I have purchased a blackbird and really love it. I haven't gave a tent any thought since and probably won't go back to one as long as i'm in an area with trees. It's comfortable, fun and very addictive. I am already interested in trying DYI stuff. I just need to get a sewing machine first.

Tarp
    Ghetto Tarp
    Insulation
    Squirrels
    First hammock experience was in the early 70s at my grandparents in their homemade hammocks made of a thick firehose like material from the paper manufacturing industry. Played many hours over several summers in these hammocks with cousins and friends.

Second experience was in Costa Rica in 1989 when I slept in one for a few weeks.

I was introduced to hammock camping in about 2004 when a friend bought a Clark setup. I bought one shortly after and then another one for the wife.

hang em high
    "Acorns were good until bread was found."
    Francis Bacon

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    It at one of those country kid outdoor bonfire parties the night of my high school graduation in 1977, we'd been to several that night and my friend who drove to this particular party conveniently left with some girl and I found myself hanging out in the yard hammock with my classmate's older sister who was leaving on a student exchange to France the following morning. At some point I think she got bored with smoochin, said she was going inside to get a blanket which she did, the blanket was for me. Then left me there to my first night in a hammock. It wasn't the most restful night to be sure, a little on the cold side and I woke a bit hung over so I walked out to the state highway and hitched into town. It wasn't till 2010 that I got the bug to bring the hammock into my backpacking and I've never looked back to that cold June night in 77 or what's her name.

David

Hammocks always interested me, something about the idea of laying down while suspended seems so inviting to me. Once I found my first cheap portable hammock I would bring it with me on day hikes and such and eventually got to the point where it was the first thing I'd pack. Now I've got an entire sleep system... plus that original hammock that I still bring on day hikes

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    I was on the ground at Mullica River Camp in South Jersey. It was pretty full at one end with Boyscouts and we were at the other end. In the middle was an alien spaceship looking thing hanging form the trees! I could only see the tarp looking very sharp and sleek. I looked from a distance but didn't approach.

Weeks later, I was reading trail journals and perusing whiteblazes and stumbles upon HF info. I never looked back. My first hammock was a $25, no ridgeline, no tarp deal. I had to quickly learn about the rest.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Yukon outffiters
    Tarp
    Bushcraft usa tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Saw a guy named shug on youtube when doing some research on the BWCA. Well after a huge time sink on watching his videos I bought a cheap hammock on woot about 2 years ago. Slept in it in the backyard once since then it's been to the BWCA and many night in the backyard. Going to upgrade before next summer.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Played around with mesh hammocks when I was in the scouts in the 80's. Got distracted by girls and parties, and abandoned my roots for awhile, though always maintained fairly regular camping trips. Mostly car camping, however.

Realized a few years ago, that being self sufficient out in places away from people and civilization, and spending time absorbing the beauty of nature is what I was missing in my life, and I needed to get back to it. Especially since I have a young son to instill the important things in life to.

Talked to a buddy who regularly section hikes the AT. He turned me on to WhiteBlaze, I started reading the MYOG forum more than anything else, and a lot of it was hammock talk... which led me here. Lurked for awhile. Checked out just Jeff's site, Shug's YouTube channel, then that was it.

First hammock was an Equip Walmart dealie I used with a blue poly tarp I had. Then got an ENO Onelink. Then a Hennessy. Tablecloths. Blah blah blah.... can't stop.

Now my son hangs every night in a diy hammock that hangs under his "actual" loft bed (I'm jealous), and we get out as often as possible. If time doesn't allow a "real" hang, we can be found in the miles of woods behind our house at least one weekend a month. Plus, I hang solo out there probably 5-10 nights a month playing with setups and sitting by a fire. More solo recently because all of my friends say it's too cold now. We here know better... especially those of you in the north.

Tonight, I'll be hanging in the storage room in my basement. I sneak down there after my girlfriend falls asleep. I do this fairly often too.

Shhhh.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Oddly, it was my interest in alcohol stoves. I do not hike much but love camping and the outdoors in general and as my son would say I like to piddle. I was searching information on alcohol stoves and wound up watching HOURS and HOURS of Shug and mini bull design videos. Fast forward one year. I have four hammocks, made one for son and wife. I have made and sold four hammocks to friends, made three tarps, three modified sleeping bag under quilts, three zippered bug nets and countless stuff sacks, whoopie slings, loops etc.converted 10 or so people to the joys of hanging, taught myself how to sew converted a room in my house to my DIY cave and have basically went off the deep end. But it is so much fun and the best sleep I have ever had in the woods. I laugh every time I see my tent in storage. I figure it has a good spot on the shelf, better not disturb it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast