Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Cotton Paraguayan

What materials have you used?

I've used paracord and duck canvas to make hammocks. The canvas seems really sturdy, but a bit rigid. What materials and fabrics have you used and what did you like or not like about them?

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Many folks here are using synthetics, primarily nylon and polyester. The weave of the fabric is typically ripstop though there are some taffeta weaves that are used.

The feel and comfort of the fabric is largely dependent on the weave.

I am partial to a small ripstop grid or diamond grid on a nylon hammock. Look forward to trying Dutch's new polyester diamond weave fabric in the very near future.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have only used ripstop nylon and polyester up to now. I would like to make hammocks out of linen and hemp. I'm not sure if natural fibers improve much on the lay, though. With my cotton hammock I had the feeling that it started to deform a bit pretty soon, although I'm far from heavy. Synthetics seem to be more stable. And of course much lighter...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Lightweight ripstop nylon for my outdoor hammocks and topweight polyester for my indoor hammock. The nylon is much lighter, as it's intended for hiking and biking (where grams count); the polyester is much more durable and softer against the skin (as its intended to last a while and be used in a static situation, where comfort counts more than weight).

The suspension is the same: UHMWPE line (Amsteel) with polyester tree straps when I'm hanging from trees (to protect the cambium layer).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I have only used ripstop nylon and polyester up to now. I would like to make hammocks out of linen and hemp. I'm not sure if natural fibers improve much on the lay, though. With my cotton hammock I had the feeling that it started to deform a bit pretty soon, although I'm far from heavy. Synthetics seem to be more stable. And of course much lighter...
    I love linen, not so much hemp, bamboo is very enticing. I am wondering how it would work for a hammock. I would be worried about linen, I have only worked with it for traditional uses, clothing, bed linens and decorative uses. I know it wears out rather quickly with use or it has in my applications, plus it is expensive. I wonder about silk, I am really tempted to try it, so many different weaves to choose from, it dyes easily, really tempting. I will probably stay with the traditional rip stop nylon for now.

I life soft, moisture resistive, strong, I am staying with nylon for now, I might try the polyester at some point in time. I am not a fan of polyester, I still remember the bullet proof clothing of the 60's that stuff is still kicking around looking just like it did almost 60 years ago. The Vintage Resale Clothing Stores love the stuff!

Hammock
    Cotton Paraguayan
    I'm working on a project that will be an indoor-only hammock. Its feel doesn't really matter as both sides will end up being covered. It just needs to be weight bearing. I'm really looking for a pliable fabric that doesn't ruffle. Any suggestions of fabric type and sources?

Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL
    A noobie question here, guys.

Everyone talks about using ripstop NYLON, but is ripstop polyester also OK for a hammock?

I went to buy a large sample of ripstop nylon the other day, to see if it would be strong enough for making my first hammock.
    The fabric sellers where I live (Bali, Indonesia) have never heard of Denier or Tenacity, etc, and neither had I until recently. Anyway, they sold me a piece of "ripstop nylon" (or so they claimed), but I've just done a burn test on it -- it burns with black, acrid smoke, has flaming drips, has crushable black, irregular black deposits but with small, soft grey ash at the tops of some of the deposits.
    I've no idea what this material is -- it doesn't fit neatly into any burn chart. Yet, it seems to be mostly polyester-based.

So, can anyone outline the main drawbacks of using non-nylon, ripstop.... or are the drawbacks and differences basically negligible?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Polyester has less stretch than nylon. It makes for a firmer lay. I like my PolyD hammocks, but others prefer something stretchier.

I would not burn fabric. Just do a stretch and rip test, and if it seems strong enough, make a hammock and test it while hanging low. Maybe contact one of the parachute hammock makers (I seem to remember that there is at least one located on Bali) and ask nicely if they would sell you a couple of yards of their fabric... If they are only a small business, you might be in luck.

Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL
    Thanks Hutzelbein,

As a virgin hammock camper, I guess I will have to buy a big piece of Poly and a big piece of Nylon, make some quick whipped-end hammocks and try them out to see which I prefer before making a final version.
    As for the burn test: because the fabric sellers here either don't know what they are selling (or just SAY it is nylon, just so they can sell something to me), I think the burn test is going to be vital.

And yes, Ticket To The Moon make hammocks in Bali. I've spoken to them (great guys) but they haven't decided yet whether or not to make a custom-built hammock for me -- maybe I'll get an answer after the New Year's holidays. But I'm sure they'll sell me some Parachute Silk (Nylon) if I ask nicely, and at least I can be certain that it really IS nylon.

Thanks again,

J

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Burning fabric might tell you if it is polyester or nylon - but it won't tell you if it is good fabric to use for a hammock. I would also be hesitant to burn unknown fabric because there are some fabrics or components that can be highly toxic when burned.

If you can't find any decent fabric, I would probably bite the bullet and order some from the US. If you like DIY, go for more than just a couple of yards of fabric - the more you order, the cheaper it gets (broken down on the yard). If you are not really interested in DIY and just want a hammock, order it from one of the vendors here. In all likelihood, you'll get something better than you would be able to make and save yourself a lot of hassle and time.

Have you also looked at Claytor hammocks? They're located in Thailand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast