DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Whoopie dog bone or ?

Nothing new here just a bit different

I made a set of whoopie slings for a hammock yesterday. I have used UCR until now but I don’t like the extra bundle of string.
    UCR gives you the option to extend the suspension more than a woopie but locking it can be a challenge.
    Whoopie’s are more easy to handle but requires double length.

So what if the suspension is too short? Several solutions for that.
    Knots on a extension string is not a good option so I made another whoopie just in case. Nothing new. The difference is its double on the inside. The benefit is you don’t have all the extra string to fight with (more tidy) and you can use it as a normal whoopie and if you need it you can pull the full length out and redo it when you get home. The bead midways can be removed or slid (if the knot is undone). It is only there so the string isn’t pulled inside by accident.
    I have tested it with my body weight and it does not slide.
    Whoppie DB.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Just be aware that the weak point of a whoopie sling is where the adjustable bury exists the constrictor due to the uneven displacement of the strands. With the additional displacement caused by burying two sections, expect an additional derating of the strength and a shorter lived whoopie sling.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Just be aware that the weak point of a whoopie sling is where the adjustable bury exists the constrictor due to the uneven displacement of the strands. With the additional displacement caused by burying two sections, expect an additional derating of the strength and a shorter lived whoopie sling.
    I think you are right but it was not intended for normal use only when distance require it so I don’t think it will be a problem any time soon.
    So far I have never had the problem/need but changing to whoopies could change for me that one day.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Snowball, I don't think you have answered gmcttr's point exactly. The exit point of the bury is on a single strand, so it's being deformed slightly whenever the whoopie is under tension. Am I correct that your "normal use" means that you have the double bury, as pictured, and you undo it to get a longer whoopie only when needed?

Despite the above, I think this is pretty neat, and I may try making some whoopies like this using Dynaglide. You have four ends on this thing but they all look different - locked brummel, free sliding bead, knotted bead, and plain stopper knot. I like that. It will make it easier to identify the one I want to tug on in the field.

This has got me thinking about using a doubled loop of Dynaglide with a Dutch Speed Hook.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Snowball, I don't think you have answered gmcttr's point exactly. The exit point of the bury is on a single strand, so it's being deformed slightly whenever the whoopie is under tension. Am I correct that your "normal use" means that you have the double bury, as pictured, and you undo it to get a longer whoopie only when needed?

Despite the above, I think this is pretty neat, and I may try making some whoopies like this using Dynaglide. You have four ends on this thing but they all look different - locked brummel, free sliding bead, knotted bead, and plain stopper knot. I like that. It will make it easier to identify the one I want to tug on in the field.

This has got me thinking about using a doubled loop of Dynaglide with a Dutch Speed Hook.
    Could be something got lost in translation. By normal use I mean this whoopie will only be used by me if the distance between the trees are too big and that won’t happen very often maybe 1 or 2 times per year.
    What I am using is LIROS 3mm D-Pro 12-braid 950 daN = 950 kilo = 2094 pounds so there is plenty of margin if 1 or 2 braids should snap. I am aware of the uneven load and the deformation on the braids but for this rare use I don’t think it matters. Amsteel is not available around this parts of the world but D-Pro we can get in the local marine shops.

To clarify the load should only be by the green arrows just like on a normal whoopie sling.

I am not sure what you mean by doubled loop? If it’s a integrated loop on a tarp ridge line it would properly work.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Wow Snowball, I'd like to see a video of the whoopie dog bone.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Wow Snowball, I'd like to see a video of the whoopie dog bone.
    There are a lot of videos of whoopie making.
    This one would not be any different except on a normal whoopee you pull the cord end out and I did not.
    In fact you could say this is for hidden storage of the extra line length and you can pull it out if you need it. Don’t splice the end but use a knot! Less mess
    The red section is buried in the blue section (the main line). Loop C is not meant for use, only adjustment. I doubt it will hold much weight. The main load must be on A & B otherwise it won’t lock.
    loop.png

• + New Posts