Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

NC > Frosty Butt Hang at Merchants Mill Pond State Park 29, 30, 31 Jan & 01 Feb 2015

What: Frosty Butt Hang

Why: Why not...plus a chance to test out your cold weather gear. I do recommend you bring gear rated to at least 20 degrees or lower just in case. If you have a DIY TQ and or UQ, please try to test them before you come and or bring additional gear. We had one person at the Hunger Hang end up sleeping in their car when they found out the hard way that their DIY UQ did not keep them warm at 41 degrees. You do not have to have a hammock to join us. Bear Fortune Cookies ( tents ) users are welcomed. Also folks who just want to learn more about hammock camping are welcome to visit.

Where: Merchants Mill Pond State Park NC Group Site #1 ( and site # 2 if enough people sign up )

How:Signup sheet is here.....https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Same location as the Fat Butt and Hunger Hang. Click to see planning thread for the Hunger hang:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/92267-THE-HUNGER-HANG-!!!-Merchants-Mill-Pond-State-Park-NC-24-26-Oct-2014

When: Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday ( 29, 30, 31 January and 01 February 2015 )

Donations to help pay for the site and pay for firewood can be made via PayPal to [email protected] ( I am paying for the site up front ). Please provide your HF user name and note this for the Frosty Butt Hang and select donations. $20 a person should be enough to pay for the site and fire wood unless someone can bring a pickup truck load or two of wood.

Temperatures: While it can get cold, it should not get too cold but be prepared

Avg Low in Jan is 20............Avg High in Jan is 50
    Record Low is -5....................Record High is 80

Chance of Snow....who knows...one can only hope

Park Info: Merchants Mill Pond State Park
    176 Millpond Road, Gatesville, NC 27938-9440
    GPS: 36.437105,-76.701585 ( this will put you at the road that leads to the park office )

The group site is about 1/4 mile south and on the right.
    http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/memi/main.php

This park is located in the North East Corner of eastern North Carolina.This is very convenient to hangers living in Eastern NC and South East VA

Merchants Millpond is located in Gates County near the community of Gatesville. The park may be reached from U.S. 158, N.C. 32 and N.C. 37. It is approximately 30 miles from the cities of Ahoskie, Elizabeth City and Edenton, North Carolina and Suffolk, Virginia.

Note..This is a family friendly event. No alcohol is allowed per Park rules. If you do bring any, please be discrete.

Link to Google parkmap..
    https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...51!3d36.433127

At the drive in Group Camp Grounds
    Site# 1 is reserved for Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. I will be arriving about noon on Thursday.

Site # 1 can handle apporx 30+ hangers
    Site # 2 can handle aprrox 20+hangers and will be reserved only if we have enough hangers sign up

Each site is allowed 50 campers
    Each site has 2 fire rings and 3 picnic tables
    Water is available at Site # 1 and the Bathhouse
    Parking is available next to Site # 1
    There are rest rooms ( hot and cold water ) and a shower ( the shower stall is huge, larger than most home showers)

Fire Wood....we will need fire wood so if you can bring some, please let us know. I have the name and phone number of a local who will deliver a pick up truck of split hardwood for $65. I estimate we would need 2 loads ( $130 ). There was a large oak tree that the Park had cut down at Group Site # 3 that might still be there but we can not count on it. We would need wedges and a sledge hammer to split it into manageable sections to be able to carry it to group site 1.

Food: Hotlips has said we are on our own for this one so we will have to suffer and cook our own food this hang. Please let us know what you can bring on the sign up sheet.While I am sure we have some Dutch Oven cooking going on, Coleman gas and or propane stoves will be needed.

Gear: if you have any extra gear you can share, please enter it on the sign up sheet.

Getting there, check with Google maps using Park Address
    We will be staying at the drive in Group Campgrounds. They are located in the South West corner of the park. I will post a large yellow sign at the turn off to the group site as it is easy to miss even if you know where it is.

GPS for gate to groups sites... N 3625.542 W 07641.928

Drive down the dirt road about 500 ft.... Group Site # 1 be on your Right and parking to the Left.

When you get to the big sign you are there. Once you unload, please move your vehicle to the parking area.
    Last edited by gunner76; 11-16-2014 at 19:20.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    I'm in. Let it snow!

No snakes or gators in January.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Gunner, does this mean you need to be taken off the spreadsheet for the PSH Frozen Butt Hang?
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters Dbl
    Tarp
    futureDIY superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Underqlt
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/straps
    There it is. I have been waiting to see this pop up. I plan on coming out but will write it in stone a little closer to the event as I've got a lot more travelling coming up.

I have a contact in Archdale that I can get a (midsize) truckload of pine or hardwood for $20-$30. I have some travel coming up that will take me his direction and will pick up a load to have on hand.

I will have a new DIY Apex Underquilt made and will have some reflective windshield screens to test out before hand. Also for cooking I'll have a Coleman 2 burner stove and a tea kettle.
    Here's to hoping everyone stays warm, and not by critters joining them.
    Learning by doing, Jack of All Trades.
    Keep your feet on the ground and your minds in the woods!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Gunner, does this mean you need to be taken off the spreadsheet for the PSH Frozen Butt Hang?
    Unfortunately I will not be able to make the PSH Frozen Butt Hang. Not enough weekends to do everything.

I have a contact in Archdale that I can get a (midsize) truckload of pine or hardwood for $20-$30.
    Great. We will need more than one load though.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    It's the same weekend...
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters Dbl
    Tarp
    futureDIY superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Underqlt
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/straps
    Since this isn't too terribly long after Christmas would anyone want to do a small ($10min) gift exchange? Spread out the gifts and then everyone gets one, don't pick your own.
    Or is there a raffle planned?
    Learning by doing, Jack of All Trades.
    Keep your feet on the ground and your minds in the woods!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Ketly Noah 12
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Wow. Way to go Gunner. Thought you where with the PSH, guess we have been shunned

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Wow. Way to go Gunner. Thought you where with the PSH, guess we have been shunned
    Scheduling issues. Not enough weekends to schedule everything and if I schedule it earlier in the month then some other folks would not be able to attend. I still think the PSH is a great organization and highly recommend that anyone that can make one the many hangs you ( the PSH ) hold attend.

Since this isn't too terribly long after Christmas would anyone want to do a small ($10min) gift exchange? Spread out the gifts and then everyone gets one, don't pick your own.
    Or is there a raffle planned?
    Great idea. There is not raffle planned. There will be a raffle at the next Hunger Hang in Oct 2015

Hammock
    Dutch Argon Special
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    I would love to come out for this, but I'm all the way over in Charlotte, I'll have to talk to the wife about this one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast