Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    REI Radiant w/ Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Pro

Question No UQ - Pod System?

HF,

My wife and I are experienced backpackers and campers, but new to hammock camping. Our first trip is next weekend (11/22-11/25) at Land Between the Lakes (KY). Naturally, she's a cold sleeper and I don't want to cut the short trip, because of her lack of warmth and happiness.

We currently do not have UQs or TQs, so have considered using our down bags as a pod system. I am a little concerned about condensation building up by using the pod system. Also, no tarp right now. Considered using a Slumberjack 2P rainfly for weather cover. Probably a bad idea. Any suggestions on that would be helpful!

Suggestion Summary:
    1. Trip to LBL (North End N/S Trail)
    2. Pod System?
    3. Rainfly or tarp?

Thanks!
    HM & Mrs. HM

Images
    Well if you can get all of the details of the pod worked out,it will certainly keep you very warm. I guess you have already watched shug's pod videos? If not you might want to. This may take some trial and error to get it just right.

1:You want a bag that at least fairly wide, maybe even the wider the better. One problem you might run into is being able to get a diagonal as you might like. Again wider might be better for that. I have no trouble witha diagonal using a Speer PeaPod, but those things are 72" wide in the middle, about 1/2 that on the ends.

2:For best results you want a 2 way, full length zipper.

3:You might want to attach some fabric loops and cord for a suspension, so that you can pull the bag towards the ends a bit in case it sags too much.

4: suspension or no suspension, you may have gaps above you or below you. On top, the hammocks edges may tend to lift the bag causing a big gap. Just fill these gaps with clothing or light quilts. Due to these gaps, it might be more efficient to start with a lighter less warm bag if you have more than one, then fill up the gaps(if you have them) with whatever other insulation you can find. For example, instead of sleeping in your winter Parka, drape it over you.

Let us know how it goes. Shug has used these home made Pod type systems to minus 40F and was plenty warm.
    Bill

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think you would do better using your bags in the hammock with a pad under you. Then you can cinch up tight and have n o air coming in over your neck/shouldes/chest.
    Some-kinda tarp is better than no tarp...if it rains!
    Carry forth..
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    That is a good point Shug makes. Because, if you don't get the pod system well figured out before your trip, using a pad might be a lot warmer. And as Shug says, in a bag you won't have to worry about trying to fill up any gaps and possible drafts around your shoulders.

But, you also need to practice with that before you go, becasue some folks have a real hard time trying to stay on top of a pad in a hammock Especially in a single layer hammock . Plus you have to make sure your pad is wide enough to keep your shoulders warm. These, or something home made like them, help a lot with both of those issues:
    https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc....uct/A4011.html

Shug, are you still going to use your pods approach again this winter?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That is a good point Shug makes. Because, if you don't get the pod system well figured out before your trip, using a pad might be a lot warmer. And as Shug says, in a bag you won't have to worry about trying to fill up any gaps and possible drafts around your shoulders.

But, you also need to practice with that before you go, becasue some folks have a real hard time trying to stay on top of a pad in a hammock Especially in a single layer hammock . Plus you have to make sure your pad is wide enough to keep your shoulders warm. These, or something home made like them, help a lot with both of those issues:

Oh yes...for sure once we dip past -5º ))))
    Already had it on a hammock for a play and lay. Or lie.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    My first Winter hammock hang was in a Pod style hang. I used a rectangle sleeping bag from the footend up. I closed it off with my jacket on the head end. I had a walmart yoga pad under me and a fleece blanket on top.

I didn't use a tarp, but, there was no wind. A small breeze may have dislodged the jacket/SB connection and I may have lost my heat. And now the temps...

SB- Walmart 60* bag
    Air temp- 27*-28*F
    Hammock- DIY gathered end
    Clothing- 2 pair socks, cotton sweatpants and thermal bottoms. Thermal top, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, hoodie. Beanie cap.

Only my feet were cold. But I would recommend a UQ when you get the chance. The pad was good since that's what I had, but, it gets better when you use an UQ.

I strongly suggest you experiment at home while you can before your out and away from a bailout option.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY Epsilon
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    hammock anchors
    I got lucky with a kids sleeping bag pod.
    It had a drawstring top which I cinched on the foot end
    Pulled the bag up to around my shoulders and tightened the zipper to adjust the fit.
    Rotated the bag so the zipper was on top.
    I was also using a Ridgerest XL pad and had another sleeping as a TQ backup

Temps were only in the 40's but I was HOT

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MidTNJohn View Post
    I got lucky with a kids sleeping bag pod.
    It had a drawstring top which I cinched on the foot end
    Pulled the bag up to around my shoulders and tightened the zipper to adjust the fit.
    Rotated the bag so the zipper was on top.
    I was also using a Ridgerest XL pad and had another sleeping as a TQ backup

Temps were only in the 40's but I was HOT
    That's wild, John!

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    REI Radiant w/ Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

Thanks, BillyBob & Shug. Shug, I constantly watch your videos and trip reports. Visuals certainly help.

At Land Between the Lakes, they also have shelters, which I know Shug isn't a fan of, but my wife might be... if she gets to being too cold or cranky. Certainly a test weekend. Testing the gear. Testing the setup. Testing the wife! I hope not to test the patience of my wife too much.

I'l definitely set up and spend a night in the pod system and then just sleeping bag on top. I'm thinking bag on top will be the way to go.

Thanks again!
    MH & Mrs. MH

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    REI Radiant w/ Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Pro
    Here's a brief trip report from our couples hang - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...)-Couples-Trip

• + New Posts