Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just got my first Hammock

Just arrived yesterday and I'm planning to set it up out back this weekend to test it out with my current gear. Came in a red bag which I was surprised to see instead of a box. Everything looks fine. Also surprised at it's weight. Listed at 3 pounds but my scale had it at 3.14 pounds. Once I open it all the way up and set it up I'll see if it has anything extra in it that's not needed. Should be down to the 30's or so with some chance of wet snow.

Hammock
    WBRR DBL / GTSBP
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ / pad
    Suspension
    Strap / Woopie
    Awesome.

Gotta post up some pics now of your "hammock lab".
    "The longer I wait, the more I learn and the more $$ I save."
    "Por que la leche queste mas, que los huevos...."

Good luck. I was a tent camper for a long time and then started using a hammock. Still working out the fine points myself but so far I really like the comfort; speed of set up and take down; clean take down even in the rain and lots of mud; being able to sleep no matter what was on the ground. The challanges are staying warm as the temp drops; storing stuff while I sleep; the fact that my wife and I can not sleep together on the trail. I have added a caddy or small type of gear hammock that hangs under the sleeping hammock which has solved one of the issues. Welcome to hammocking.

Thanks all. Real excited about it. Should be fun to see how the temps work out.

Things went well. I enjoyed my night out. Temp dropped to low 20's. My current gear did OK. Pad and one of those military sleeping bag systems. Did get some chills during the night. Looks like a UQ is in order. Going to work on setting it up for the next week or 2. Try to get a few more nights out in it trying different setups with gear. I did sleep well no soreness like when I'm on the ground. Going to be fun playing around.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Atlas
    Congratulations..I've been "playing around" with my setup for about a year and a half now. Every time I get it right, I see a new youtube video, post on here, or Dutch comes out with some awesome new bling...

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Welcome to the world of hammocking,, i dont think i'll ever go back to the ground, once you get it all dialed in you'll probably feel the same.
    We have a winter group hang in january that you can check out in the trip planning thread,, you can pick up a lot of tips at one of these hangs

I plan on setting up again this weekend in the back yard. Try a few things out. I did find out that I'm one of the unlucky few that has a rain fly that leaks. The seams and a few drops here and there. I have seam and tent sealer so I'll give that a try. Better to learn it now then on the trail.

So I slept out last night and it got down to 13F. Was fine until a little after 3 AM then woke up because of the cold. Could sleep on and off until I had to get up. Tried 2 pads, a air and blue foam. Also a sleeping bag insert. Left the bivy off of my bag hoping to drop the weight when I'm out on the trail. I know I'm going to have to get a UQ. Will try a little test tonight with a comforter. Then most likely break down and buy one or make my own.

I did learn to watch the size of the trees I hook too. Too big and the diamond fly doesn't cover right. The one that comes with the setup only has about foot and half over hang on both sides if you get it lined up right. Also the 12 foot straps to hang the hammock are nice but large trees use it right up so I'm going to do a little playing with the setup before I run out and get new tree huggers. Also going to try flipping hammock over to get the bug netting out of my way.

I guess I'll see what I'll learn new tonight.

DG

While I didn't get to sleep out again this weekend I did re-setup the hammock and rain fly better. I'm not real crazy over a diamond fly at the moment. Have to get it just right and also have to have it real close to you to get the best coverage. It did rain last night but one of the tent pegs pulled out as soon as the ground soften up so all got wet. No way to tell if my sealing job worked. I am learning how to set it up better. Hoping to sleep out once or twice more before I use it on the trail.

DG

• + New Posts