Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket

Hammock items you regret purchasing...

Just curious. My first hammock purchase was a HH Exped Classic. I bought it from Amazon so I could get it delivered in time for a car camping trip with the family. The hammock is fine, but I wish I had just stayed in the tent on that trip with the family for two reasons. First, the HH is going to end up costing me much more than what I paid for my second hammock-a Hammeck Netty-after i put a good suspension on it. Also, the HH is a bottom entry so it's not the easiest to use with my HG UQ-which I didn't anticipate getting when I purchased the hammock(what was I thinking there??!!). My second reason for regretting the HH purchase is I've gotten to "know" many of the cottage vendors making great lightweight hammocks right here in the USA as opposed to the Made in Chine HH. Whenever I can get a comparable or better product made in USA, I'm all over that. I'm keeping the HH, but it's cottage vendors all the way from here on out.

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I wouldn't say that I truly regret this purchase but, knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have bought the ENO Reactor and Atlas straps that I own. If it wasn't for having bought that setup from REI at a nice sale price, I'd not have realized how much I like hammock camping and found this forum or better gear from all the helpful info here. I guess the good news is that I have a second setup in case I ever want to share with a friend.

Images
    Hammock and regret are not generally two words I put together in a sentence unless the words, won't or don't are in front of the word regret. I can't say I've regretted a single "Hammock" purchase I've made. Some of the supporting paraphernalia is another matter.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I am not extremely concerned about weight as I mostly motorcycle hang. My first was a HH Explorer Delux Zip. Have never regretted it.

I have since purchased another Explorer Delux Zip, an Expedion & a Scout for the Grandboys. 2 China made Skeeter Beeter Pro's, 7 China made various brands & 5 from vendors USA made. All have been Quality directly proportional to the cost of the hammock. Only one I do not care for. China made I forget the name but it has a bunch of cords on each end that tangle easy & the advertised length included that which was misleading & a mis sewn net which I had to repair. One grandson loves it.

The HHEDZ is my summer go to hammock. My 11' Appalation DL is my winter hammock. You can send yours to 2QZQ for a zipper mod if you prefer that style. Hennessy' s comes as a complete package ready to hang so in my humble opinion are usually a bargain for first starting out.

Most of the accessories (UQ, TQ ect) are moved from hammock to hammock & should not reflect on hammock cost or quality. so copious research on HF would give you best fits for particular applications of those accessories.

With due respect if not for Mr Hennessy, hammocks would be no where they are today. He is the forerunner of all our fine cottage vendors.

See I regret trying to go the cheap route right off the bat and buying things without considering how practical they were for my style of camping/hiking. Like trying to get around an under quilt by buying pads I hated. I also bought things I wouldn't use after a trip or so to help me pack my fears. That lead to a lot of good gear that I purchased that was not what I wanted. Things like Snake Skins, MSS (GAH! The bulk and weight!), ENO Guardian net and a totally stupidly wrong, too tiny, ill fitting, heavy backpack for my needs. Holy extra paracord Batman! I had to have a hand crank weather radio and overkill on flashlights too. How many poncho liners do I really need again? Several cheaper sleeping bags because they cost less than the cottage vendors here, instead of buying one or two really nice topquilts from those vendors.

One thing I think I did right was purchasing a bottom level hammock to start because then I could see what the comfort was on a few different styles before getting an awesome one from Jared over at Simply Light that covered all my needs on that end.

Hindsight being as clear as it is and all.

Now I have this glut of extra camping stuff that I will likely never ever use unless I lend it out for car camping. Ugh.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    MY list is too long. I am chalking it up to "A Learning Experience".
    1. HH Explorer and all the extras.
    2. HH Safari.
    3. Radiant Pad from HH.
    4. Non-down UQ.
    5. Suspension I do not trust.
    6. A couple of Therm-a-Light Mats, took me a few tries to find what I like.
    7. Monsoon or Typhoon, the larger tent oops rainfly.
    8. A sort of unique hammock that was special made, discovered I could not get out of it without a lot of difficulty.
    9. Two different Socks.
    10. A lot of bling.
    11. Huge Sun Shade, way too big for our needs, bought it when I was going to build a Kayak.
    - I now have two TQ's I love, one for cold weather one for Summer, they fit me.
    - Two hammocks that I really like and I am building a bridge to fit me.
    - Military Sleep System, I still use it in really crummy conditions.
    - Several tarps, right now I am in love with my Gargoyle DIY. Just love all the possibilities and aesthetics.
    - Finally settled on how I want to suspend my gear.

I really need to clear out the gear storage, just too much of a collection. Ya, too many thread injectors also, tricky part is each machine does something better than the other. Oh, I also have nylon suitable to tarps or possibly hammocks that I also need to find homes for, I will never use the fabric.

Taste change and gear becomes redundant, all too quick when surveying all the new possibilities.

High cost of learning what I like. Thank heavens I know right away with my vehicles and bikes.

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    DD Travel hammock. Couldn't get comfy and ended up in a puddle of condensation.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I regret all the years I spent sleeping on the ground. And retaining obsoleted gear that someone else could find use for.

I don't regret buying anything though.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Those dang stretchy Eno Slap straps ... but I bought them off a guy that didn't want them for $5 so ... not such a huge regret!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    - ENO Onelink.
    - HH Expedition w/monsoon rainfly.

Tom Hennessy gets credit for innovation, but that doesn't excuse poor workmanship. Crooked stitching everywhere, and my monsoon was missing an entire strip of velcro for one of the doors. So that door is useless. Sorry, but it is what it is.

If not for those products mentioned though, I wouldn't have gotten into hammocking as easily. Being readily available, they got me started.

I'm sure it's fine gear for the occasional car camper.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast