Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Comparing Hammock Anchor and Speed Hook

I've received both of these this week to try them out. First let me say, I really like the methodology they both use and have made me a convert. No more whoopie slings or Marlin Spike Hitches for me. Both these items work on the same principle, lead line attached to tree strap, Hooks onto a continuous loop on the hammock, same adjustability, same loop knot to secure it. They both weigh about the same. I don't use a scale.

As far as differences go, just a few. The Anchor design uses two hooks to hold the line while the Speed Hook has one. They both set up just as easy, but I notice the Anchor is a bit easier in take down. The Speed hook takes a bit of extra force to pull the line out. Both clearly pass the 'bounce test' (see other thread on Speed Hooks). Both are very secure, especially after weight has been put on them.

Another issue I noticed is with the Speed Hook, I was able to center the hook on the continuous loop much easier than the Anchor. The Hook seemed to naturally slide into position since the hole is large enough to slide on the amsteel. The Anchor holds on nicely but doesn't shift side to side readily. I found myself having to readjust it to make sure it was straight.

The Anchor is made from a thinner sheet of Titanium than the Speed hook. The designer of the Anchor has stated that if used wrong it could bend. Not sure if this is the case with the Speed Hook. Both designs seem to put pressure on the piece that could bend 'em. Time will tell on this.

Last item. price. Not counting Dutch's intro price (glad I got in on that) the Speed anchor is priced at basically half he price of the Anchor.

Again let me say, both items are a great new direction is hammock suspension. And I will be using both. I just wanted to get this comparison out there and would like to hear other's comments.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 11-06-2014 at 20:51.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Thanks for the review yojimbo!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I went with the Speed Hooks mainly because of price and seemed to have a smaller profile than the anchor. I haven't received them yet but I assume they'll be great and I plan to do a demo video when I get a chance to play with'em!
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Thought I'd add a photo to show size comparison.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thanks for taking the time to do a comparative review. Job well done. I have a set of speed hooks on the way to me.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Traveler and Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG TQs and UQs
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    Images
    A great, honest and fair review. Hammock Forum members benefit most from a competitive market that yields better pricing and more innovation in product design. Thanks for bringing that to light.
    Don't Be fooled by Imitators and Knockoffs.
    Hammockfan.com is home of the ORIGINAL Hammock Anchor!
    Keep Hanging In There,
    Giovanni

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I haven't order either style (yet!) so I may be speaking blindly here, but there is one significant difference that stands out to me: The strain on your Amsteel continuous loop.

- With the Speed Hook, your loop is pulled tight over the edges of the hook by your body weight, almost folded you could say, around nothing more than the thickness of the hook itself.

- With the Hammock Anchor, your loop makes two 90° bends as it passes around the anchor, and your body weight pulls on these two points rather than just one.

I realize the Amsteel loop is WAY overrated, but it seems to me that there'd be less strain on the rope when used with the Anchor, simply because the load is shared by two points, both of which have less bend than if the loop was hung on a Speed Hook. So I think that in reality, the Anchor will be kinder to your continuous loops. Deal breaker? Nope, and I think BOTH products will quickly find a spot on hammock rigs worldwide. Progress is a beautiful thing, ehh?

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Comparing Hammock Anchor and Speed Hook

If I recall correctly this issue has been fiscussed in another thread. The width of the Speed hook is enough to not be less than the recommended radius for amsteel. Its more like two 90* turns just closer than the Hanger. The Speed Hook is the same width as the Whoopie Hook which is used in this same manner with a continuous loop and it has [edit] not [/edit] been an issue to date.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 11-07-2014 at 17:26.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I got my Speed Hooks today, spent a little time playing with them. Musta watched Dutch's video 20 times trying to figure out how to use them - I finally got there. One thing I don't understand is why Dutch says you can get closer to the tree because you're not dealing with the 10 inch bury of whoopie slings. I bought a pair of the Speed Hook Leads and it looked like the bury on the fixed loop was 8 inches, so essentially I can get 4 inches closer to the tree (2 per side)?

Maybe it's a 6 inch bury and I gain 8 inches. Am I missing something? It's not like the Speed Hooks are a magnitude superior to whoopie slings - more like a matter of inches closer to the tree. I do love my Speed Hooks though!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

The distance of the fixed loop and its buryis the same for the whoopie and the lead for the speedhook. With the speed hook you save the disrance of the bury. So with a whoopie it was 6+10 and the speedhook 6.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast