Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Feathered Friends
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Double Bagging or Under-Quilt?

Hey guys,

Just did the first test run of my setup a couple nights back and it his about 25. I have to say I was pretty toasty. I am however worried about when the dead of winter hits. I live out in the Adirondacks and it can get well below zero. I was wondering if it would be a better choice to rock an under-quilt or try doing a double bag system where I use a 0 down and maybe a 30 synthetic. Any thoughts on which would be better?

Thanks much,
    Carl

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Classic
    Tarp
    DIY HexCat
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    DIY Rapid Deploy
    While I think the UQ would be the better option, the 2 bag system should work fine as long as you have a good pad underneath as well, like an Exped Downmat. A tarp with doors and/or pitched low to prevent air movement underneath you would make a difference as well.

As much as I love my Jarbidge UQ, underquilts are not the be all to end all for staying warm in a hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Two bag systems means compression of insulation, so yeah, I'd vote for a proper UQ over two bag plus pad.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Feathered Friends
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah thats what i was thinking, I have a Therm-X which actually heats me up pretty quickly. I figure maybe some extra layers wouldnt hurt either.

Trying to figure out what Sanata's going to bring this year

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Feathered Friends
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Two bag systems means compression of insulation, so yeah, I'd vote for a proper UQ over two bag plus pad.
    Do you think I would still want to use the pad even with the UQ?

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    @carl. Depends...what are the temps you're talking about? What's the UQ temp rating compared to the outside temps? Are you car camping or backpacking? How have you done when using a mat?

I switched to UQ's after getting soaked while using a pad. That's just me...plenty of folks here successfully use pads alone or in combination with other insulation.

For example: If you have an UQ rated for 0 degrees and are camping in temperature slightly above that temp, AND you have appropriate temp rated top quilt/bag, you should be fine.

Keep in mind, UQ can be fiddley...they an take some time to get perfectly situated. Too loose and you can get cold spots from cold air getting through. Too tight and you can get cold spots from compressed insulation. It's not easy to find that "Goldilocks" set up...where everything is just riiiiiigggghhhhhttt. The payoff is when you get to that point, it's pretty cool. And pretty comfy.

No matter what you decide, would suggest testing locally before going out into the wild to see how you respond. Local testing allows you to have a better understanding of how you work with your gear, allows you to figure out if tweaks need to be made, test those tweaks and really dial things in....safely....before you're out on the trail.

Good luck!
    Bruce

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Welcome from another upstater

Last winter I used my 30 degree TQ and the cold weather portion (black bag) of a military sleep system with my 20 degree underquilt and made it down to 9 degrees.
    i used the synthetic sleeping bag inside my down TQ so my down wouldn't compress.
    i also supplemented with a wool base layer.
    super toasty warm all night.
    this year I'm adding an UQP.

Ultimately i would rather have had a set of zero degree down quilts fiddle/weight/space wise....but you can make it work.

Ive read (although haven't peronally tried) a pad and an underquilt can cause condensation issues.
    Last edited by ADKrella; 11-05-2014 at 09:11.

Hammock
    Boone ShellHammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber w/d
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Cintch Buckles
    http://www.hammockgear.com/phoenix-0/

Then I would over stuff it for neg 0 temps. Better to have too much insulation during the colder months.

Images
    Since you seem to be experimenting with how to make what you have work rather than automatically making new purchases, have you considered trying to use one of your bags PeaPod style? Look up Shug's several different videos on doing just that down to minus 40F. And of course there is the commercial PeaPod/PolarPod approach if you just want to buy something. But using a pad especially in a SPE along with you bags is also a viable approach for some.
    https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc....uct/A4011.html

• + New Posts