Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips

Gear rental Eastern Sierras

hello,
    Next summer a few of us are going to the sierras for a 5 day trip. Most of us have gear and its not an issue. One guy that is going doesn't really have much of anything. I was wondering if anyone knew of a business out there that rents gear or a backpacking setup. I hate to see him purchase a bunch of gear for a one time trip because I doubt he will ever use it again.

We are leaving from the Onion Valley trailhead. So something in that vicinity would be great.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Occasional Participant in Reality

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    lowergear.com.

The towns in that area are so small, the closest possibilities would be Bishop or Mammoth Lakes. In Bishop, it's http://eastsidesports.com/eastside/ Wilson's Eastside Sports. You're gonna drive 55 miles each way to get the gear. Renting from Lower Gear would give him the ability to have the gear shipped to him.

Don't forget to rent bear canisters. www.wild-ideas.net lets you rent those by mail as well.

Note: Sierra is already plural. No need to add an S.

Hammock
    Dangerbird by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips
    Hey thanks for the info. We are driving in from Vegas and Bishop looks really out of the way for an Onion Valley start. Lower Gear might be our best bet.

Images
    I think REI rents camping gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    The nearest REI to where they are going is hundreds of miles and a mountain pass from the trailhead. Not exactly "a business out there."

And most REIs in California don't rent all the gear needed, any more. Across the board, they've cut back on what they rent.

I'd mail-rent gear too. Here is what most of the east side of the Sierra looks like:

DSCN0478.jpg

Occasionally there is a very small town with a gas station and a little cafe, and maybe a population of 30 or so. Bishop and Mammoth Lakes have the most shops. I love this side of California - everyone thinks it's San Francisco or Los Angeles. I prefer the mountains and plains. A lot fewer people and a lot less crime.
    Last edited by lori; 11-14-2014 at 10:12.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    The nearest REI to where they are going is hundreds of miles and a mountain pass from the trailhead. Not exactly "a business out there."

And most REIs in California don't rent all the gear needed, any more. Across the board, they've cut back on what they rent.

I'd mail-rent gear too. Here is what most of the east side of the Sierra looks like:

DSCN0478.jpg

Occasionally there is a very small town with a gas station and a little cafe, and maybe a population of 30 or so. Bishop and Mammoth Lakes have the most shops. I love this side of California - everyone thinks it's San Francisco or Los Angeles. I prefer the mountains and plains. A lot fewer people and a lot less crime.
    Looks like Coyote and Big Horn country.
    If I was going to such a beautiful place with some good friends I would not care what the gear cost.
    Hammock camping gear is so cheap compared to most hobbies.
    For the cost of a 3 day holiday weekend at a nice hotel you could buy a pretty nice
    hammock kit that would last for years or could be sold here if it was top quality names with little loss in what was paid.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    we have a local REI store where we live and I was going to check with them as well. Its their smallest store in their chain (nashville) and some things they don't offer there. We may be able to rent some stuff there and fly with it to Vegas. I also have to check with another local shop, Cumberland Transit and see if they rent as well.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips

DSCN0478.jpg

Just gorgeous! That is why we are going there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    That's actually the White Mountains. I spent last weekend between the Whites and the Sierra camping in the hills, where it was nice and quiet. But both ranges have a dusting of snow right now. Hoping for a more normal snow fall this winter, so summer will start in June on schedule.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips
    That's actually the White Mountains. I spent last weekend between the Whites and the Sierra camping in the hills, where it was nice and quiet. But both ranges have a dusting of snow right now. Hoping for a more normal snow fall this winter, so summer will start in June on schedule.
    Lucky to be so close! We are planning for 1st week of September 2015.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast