Maybe I'm just trying to do my due diligence before buying a SF, but I would ask that the SF super fan army at least count to 10 before replying they have a SF and love it. That seems to be the common response to most tarp questions here.

I'm not sure I need a 4 season tarp, because (1) I live in So Cal and camp mostly in So Cal below snow level, and (2) it rains once in a blue moon. I've only been hammock camping since May and only needed a tarp once because the fog was dripping from the trees. I will take a clear view of the stars any chance I get. Granted, it's an epic drought out here right now. Good news is that it rained this weekend, and they are calling for a wetter winter this year, so I realize I do need rain and maybe wind protection sometimes.

I have an 11' gathered-end hammock, and purchased a HH Hex tarp from REI for car camping (but never used it). Now I'm looking at backpacking with my son and maybe his scout troop and the HH Hex with snakeskins weighs almost 2 lbs. My son has a HH Expedition with a standard ASYM tarp, which I estimate to be ~10oz, and if he's tenting with the scouts I can use that, but I'm looking forward to some backpack trips with him and I'm willing to invest a little more in a nice light tarp so we both have necessary coverage without carrying too much weight.

I've found two classes of Hex tarps that seem like reasonable (lighter and cheaper) options to a SF:

1. Smaller Hex - WL Tadpole, Warbonnet Edge, AHE Shangri-La - $85 to $99 and about ~11oz, different shapes, but generally narrow and without panel tie-outs. The Tadpole has options for tie-outs and a 12' ridgeline, but the cost and weight are then increased.

2. Larger Hex - Warbonnet MJ and AHE Toxaway - $110 and 14 oz, different shapes, and much larger tarps, the MJ has panel tie-outs

Feedback on these models is greatly appreciated. I'm also open to suggestions for other vendors or shapes (asym and diamond would be OK) with a similar/better value. I wish I had known about these cottage vendors before buying the HH Hex.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Slbear