hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

this weekend along the canal...

This weekend was great, mixter joined me for a great relaxing weekend out hanging. It started Saturday morning, I got to McKinley woods around 9:30, loaded up a 2 wheeler with firewood and water and dropped it off at the I&M Canal campsite covering it up with a camo tarp so no one would get nosey. Went back to the trailhead at Channahon , paid our camping fee , talked to the IDNR ranger about doing a group winter hang, he said he was fine with it and go for it. I then hiked in and during my hike in mixter texted me and asked if i was there and he was going to come out, that was a pleasant surprise, and got to the site just in time for lunch, had Kabanos sausages, cheese , and a few tortillas. Set up my hammock with the addition of a 2QZQ underquilt protector, replaced underquilt suspension, and a new peak bag and ridgeline organizer. Weather was sunny but cool, and hardly no wind with clear skies. Mixter got there a few hours later, he rode his bike in and set up camp. We talked about hammocking, where we have been , where we would like to go, was great time. Had dinner around 6, my home made chili mac that i also dehydrated, came out great, mixter had a dish he concocted and i'm not sure what it was lol. Started a fire and just talked the night away watching the barges go by, listening to the raccoons fighting in the bushes.... yes , the raccoons are still there.... the coyotes howling. skies were clear, lots of falling stars and temps started to drop. Around 2 or 3 A.M. temps dropped to 27 degrees overnight, thats the coldest Ive ever been hanging in and I was as warm as warm can be, was great. In the morning got up, had coffee and breakfast, packed up and hiked back Channahon, refreshed and rejuvenated to face the world again, till the next time I can get out. Its great having a resource like this so close to home that you can run away to at a moments notice. thanks mixter was great hangin with ya.

And the adventure continues........

Hammock
    warbonetRR, hennessy
    Tarp
    warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    hg incubator0,pad
    Suspension
    EnoAtlas,50ft cord
    Images
    Last edited by mixter; 11-03-2014 at 09:23.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Nice little trip guys. 27* is pretty dang good as far as I'm concerned. Makes for good sleeping if you aren't cold.

I like the pic of the sun hitting the tarp.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4&d=1415024178

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    was nice and warm. trips are always good when ya get yo sleep out in a hammock lol.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Nice way to spend an evening. Wish I had a place close by that wasn't the backyard.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    i wish there were more places like it, its not car camping and you don't have a huge RV beside you with the satellite dish on top. its a little hard to get to, 3 mile hike or bike in or you can paddle in. There is access to the trail via a different forest preserve system thats a few blocks away, thats how i got a few bundles of fire wood in and a gallon of water using a two wheel dolly, then i went to the trail head where you can leave your car parked overnight and hiked back . AND the ranger considers 2 hammocks to equal 1 tent so its 3 bucks a night if ya have 2 people. And the outhouse is relatively clean cause of mild use.

• + New Posts