Trouble Sleeping in a Hammock

So I've been out on 5 overnights so far, I have an eno singlenest with the profly and an incubator 20 + kelty sleeping bag for insulation. I have always found hammocks to be comfortable so I figured it would be a no brainer when it came to actually sleeping in one, however I have yet to get a good nights sleep in my hammock. I've always been warm enough (underquilts are awesome) but I can never quite get into a position where I will actually fall asleep. I'm mostly a stomach/side sleeper which may be the problem, I've tried multiple different hang angles and positions but never found anything quite right.

Did anyone find that it took a while before they could get used to sleeping in their hammock or is it just something you either can or can't do.

I also sleep on my stomach and side and have found that the eno singlenest is too small for me to sleep that way. If I remember right the ENO is about 9.5 ft. The first hammock that I found comfortable for sleeping was a grand trunk skeeter beater pro they are about a foot longer and a bit wider than the singlenest. Since then I've found several comfortable for me hammocks but none shorter than 10.5 ft and 11ft seems best. For reference I am 6 ft tall. It is often sited to hang the hammock with a ridgeline that is 83% of the length of the hammock. I like a little deeper sag which, I think, helps me get a flatter lay when I am on the diagonal and makes stomach/side sleeping easier.

Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers
    I cannot sleep at all in an Eno. It forces you to lay like a banana. My wife has the Eno and loves it.

I don't "lights out" in any hammock like I do in my bed, but it's better than being on the hard ground. The best I've found so far is a cheap one from Walmart. Equip is the brand name. If I use a structural ridgeline to insure a good bit of sag, that hammock allows for an almost flat diagonal lay and a decent night's sleep if I lay flat on my back of slightly shifted on my side.

yeah I think the singlenest is just too small for me. I'm only 5'10" but I would like to be able to sleep on the diagonal comfortably, which the singlenest doesn't seem to be very good at

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I can't speak for the SN, but in my DN I have to hang it with the 30 degree angle to get a good diagonal going. Is this how you are sleeping in it?

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    Have you been out for any consequtive nights? I usually don't sleep that well the first night out in the hammock but after that it's lights out and I usually oversleep. Then coming home I usually don't sleep well the first night back in a bed.

Jim

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You have probably spent decades in a bed - why would a hammock be easy? I'm a side sleeper in a bed but no way I can do that in a hammock. I sleep on my back, maybe a slight roll to the side, just enough to cock my head and keep myself from snoring (I only snore on my back). When I wake up in the morning I can tell if I laid properly - no sore throat. If I laid improperly in the hammock my throat is sore from snoring.

The key to getting comfy in a hammock is to, you guessed it, spend more time in a hammock. Beds seem natural 'cause you've been doing it for years. Try to log a bit more time in your hammock and it will soon start to feel more natural. I have a hammock in my bedroom and, before any hiking trip, I always spend a few nights in the hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I could nap in my GTUL, but overnight sleep didn't come until I made my DIY 11'. I wish it was a little wider, though...

That, and what the other guys said about TIH (time in hammock). It just takes some getting used to.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If I've been out of a hammock for a while, the first night also feels a little strange. The muscles have to learn to relax and surrender to the hammock's embrace. People try to replicate their bed sleeping style when in a hammock. But in a bed, you are creating pressure points which cause you to toss and turn during the night - things like that. In a hammock, I can just "let go" and give in to the hammock - but, it usually takes a night if I haven't been in the hammock. So I try to sleep outside most nights. When I am inside - I have no trouble sleeping in a bed. It's just that when I wake up in the morning I want to get out of the bed but when I wake up in the hammock I want to stay in the hammock. Also, the air is much fresher outside, even if I have a window open in the bedroom (because I can't open it too far as others in the house would freeze and our power bill would go way up. I'm only 5'6" so in an 11 ft hammock I have lots of room. I usually start out on my back but by morning, I can move the small pillow from under my knees to my shoulders and easily curl up on my side (gathered end hammock). I will be switching to the bridge hammock because I want to test the 20 degree and (and 0 degree when it gets colder) quilts and sock as winter comes-a-knock'n.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-05-2014 at 13:10.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You have probably spent decades in a bed - why would a hammock be easy? I'm a side sleeper in a bed but no way I can do that in a hammock. I sleep on my back, maybe a slight roll to the side, just enough to cock my head and keep myself from snoring (I only snore on my back). When I wake up in the morning I can tell if I laid properly - no sore throat. If I laid improperly in the hammock my throat is sore from snoring.

The key to getting comfy in a hammock is to, you guessed it, spend more time in a hammock. Beds seem natural 'cause you've been doing it for years. Try to log a bit more time in your hammock and it will soon start to feel more natural. I have a hammock in my bedroom and, before any hiking trip, I always spend a few nights in the hammock.
    This really is good advice.
    I had to teach myself to sleep in a hammock it did not come naturally. A hammock on my deck and one night a week did that for me.

I will also suggest you try a larger hammock the ENO single is on the small size unless you are 5'5" or shorter.
    Dutch sells a 11x60 for around 55 buck with suspension.

With all that said in my 4 years here on the forum there seems to be about 15% of folks that just can't make hammocks work.
    You did the right thing by buying good names in gear and you should be able to sell it with little loss of funds.

Good Luck please keep us informed on your progress.

• + New Posts