Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

Neusiok Trail Overnight

Tacoma96 let me know a while back he was going to hike the Nuesiok Trail ( which is my local hiking trail ) this weekend and I told him I would try and meet up with him. Originally the plan was to hike the whole trail but as a major rain storm was/is suppose to come thru today he changed plans. He told me that he and his son would hike the Pine Cliff's section of the trail and double back to camp out at Copperhead Landing shelter for Friday night so that if the rain storm did come thru on Saturday we would only be hiking about 3+ miles back to the Pine Cliffs parking area in the rain vice 10 miles to the other end of the trail. Told him I would meet him at Copperhead. Note...at 3:30 pm it started to rain hard with some thunder thrown in

This is the time to hike the Neusiok Trail as the cool weather is now here so the skeeters and deer flies are gone. Still have to be on the lookout for ticks.

Hiked in to Copperhead Shelter to find that Tacoma and his son had just gotten there and were in the process of gathering firewood for the evening fire. We found some good trees and set our hammocks. Tacoma's son was using an UQ for the first time and agreed in the AM that the UQ was much more comfortable to use that the pad he had used in the past ( I do believe that he will be ordering an UQ in the near future ). Then we fixed dinner and enjoyed the camp fire and the scenery. Went to bed about 10 pm and slept good. Felt like it got down in high 40's with little to no wind. We got up and fixed breakfast...I cooked up a spam single...the food of backpackers everywhere and finished it off with some hot chocolate. The nice thing about camping at the shelters is that one can leave the packs and misc gear in the shelter so if does rain that part of your gear does not get wet.

Normally I hear lots of owls while camping at the Copperhead Landing shelter but did not hear any until we were breaking camp in the AM.

We then packed up and started our hike back to the Pinecliffs parking area. It did start raining but it was a very light rain and not even enough to break out our rain gear for. Lots of downed trees and I got stuck going under one ( the old knees just don't bend like they use to ). Made it back to the parking lot and my ride was waiting for me.

Once I got home I could tell that it has been awhile since I have been hiking as I am tired from that short hike. Have to get out more and plan to now that it has started to cool off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 11-01-2014 at 14:51.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    More photos.....

Pictures are of Tacoma and his son
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Looks like a good time was had by all. Hate I missed it. Next time!

Thanks for the trip report Gunner.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the trip report and pictures! (looks like a very nice trip!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring
    Looks like a good place to camp. Nothing like having a hydrant right at the campsite, huh. Ahhhhh "Spam Of Morning".......breakfast of champions. I like hiking in the rain if it's not a frog strangler. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Hate I missed it.
    Could have used your bow saw to cut the fire wood as this was a fire wood rich environment.

Looks like a good place to camp
    The trail has 3 shelters and Copperhead has the best places for hammocks, the most firewood and best of all...the best view with the creek flowing by. If you have a boat you can access the shelter via the creek.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Could have used your bow saw to cut the fire wood as this was a fire wood rich environment.
    Yeah my son was asking about a saw for his pack. Santa can provide that.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Well here is my version of the trip.

What started out to be a hike on the Neusiok Trail from Pine Cliffs Picnic Area to Hwy 306, then back to the Copperhead Shelter for Day 1 did not work out that way. Somehow I missed the turn on the Neusiok Trail (too much talking and not paying attention) and started walking on the horse trail (was wondering why the trail looked so different) we walked to the 3.8 mile point where the shelter should be, then realized we hit the wrong trail. I did not have the grid coordinates for the shelter so we could bushwhack across the woods using my GPS. Ended up walking back about 2.4 miles to get on the right trail. What should of been a 3.8 mile hike to the Copperhead Shelter turned out to be 9.8 miles.
    Arrived at the Copperhead Shelter at around 4PM and started collecting firewood. Son started setting up his gear. Gunner76 showed up about 15 minutes later and we proceeded to get the gear set up, eat and get the fire started. Had great conversations around the fire then called it a night at around 10PM.
    Woke up around 7:30AM proceeded to pack, and have breakfast (that spam hit the spot). We all headed back on the trail at around 8:30AM and arrived back at Pine Cliffs Picnic area around 10:15AM. Did encounter a little bit of rain during the hike back but, no need to dawn any rain gear. Day 2 went as planned.

Lesson learned: Pay attention
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Would have made better time back if we didn't have to fight all the blown down trees and bush whack a trail where the old trail got washed away from the hurricane this summer.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx, Yeti, Rev 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the trip report guys. Looks like you had a good time.
    Aim for the moon, if you miss, at least you will still be among the stars.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast