Tarp
    blue tarp
    Insulation
    Suisse Bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel Woopies

Sewing Thread

New to hammocking in a camping sense...

And I'm realising that one of the first things I'll need is to stay warm. Anyway, I'm looking at making my own UQ. Right now I'm planning on an Insultex 3 layer with ripstop on both sides. I may use shockcord and barrel locks but haven't decided on that yet.

My main question is: what do I use for thread? I've found DIYgearsupply and they have two threads in supply: http://diygearsupply.com/product-category/thread/

Also, if anyone has suggestions for other insulation materials, I'm not opposed to learning more. I've read a bit about Primaloft and a little about wool (does anyone use wool blankets for UQ, TQ?), and down seems great but I don't know if I can afford it.

anyway, thanks for the consideration.
    "Yeah, that'll sink like a Led Zeppelin"

Kirk

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Both threads from DiY gear supply work great.. I use the Mara 70, simply because my machine seems to like it better.

Primaloft is a great insulation, and I've used it a number of times both in commercial gear and DIY.

Down is pricey, but is worth it. Its weight, compression and insulation values are amazing, and the price has come down a lot. Ripstopbytheroll (see link in my sig) sells 700fp treated down for $20 for 3 ounces ( last I checked) this is a great price, and If you have the DIY skill, or willingness to learn you can make yourself a down quilt, for 20° weather for the same price as a cottage purchased apex or primaloft quilt.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    I completely missed your suggestion of the IX underquilt.

I started with IX, it was my first attempt at a DIY quilt, and I made a few of them, for friends, my wife etc. They don't breathe worth a ****... Every one was upgraded to something other than IX within a few months.. I'd go Primaloft or Apex over IX... and like I said in my first post.. I'd try for down if you can swing it.

Ripstopbytheroll has a never ending 5% off code for HF members... HFmember5%

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Here is a very good thread on the topic. I would go with Gütermann Tera 80 for underquilts. There is little stress on the seams, so you won't need something beefy as Mara 70 or Tera 40/60. The thinner thread should also be easier to sew with.

With regards to the Insultex, I agree with hk2001 - go with Climashield. It should be as easy to work with as Insultex, but it is way easier to use as an underquilt. My first underquilt was made from Insultex. I could never get it to seal all air gaps but still don't touch the hammock. It also doesn't pack very well, in my opinion. I sold it after 2 months and got a proper underquilt.

• + New Posts