Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

making a dl with intergrated bugnet.

Ok so I am finally going to take a stab at this. I think I got my ideas sorted out. It will be dl made from argon 1.6 ( I believe, or maybe I will mix my argon with hyperd). I will be making the head and foot triangle thingies and making them stuff pouches for bugnet and cover. I am thinking bug net stores at head and cover at feet. I dont have any of these to look at or observe online, for obvious reasons vendors dont always show the up close details.

So if I want to have the possibility of using both net and cover, I am thinking I sew one zipper into hammock body, pin and sew the net. Take the net off sew the second zipper to the first and then pin and sew the cover. My plans are to sew the cover inside of the net. For me the bugnet is a constant. The cover would be for warmth and privacy. So I would want to be able access the cover from inside.

My questions all settle around the rl and triangle thingies. I think I have most of my questions figured out, and feel sure if I dont I can figure it out. I want complete containment. So the rl will be inside, I need to sew the triangle thingies into the hammock in a way that doesnt have ant access. I am not sure I want the tie outs. I can see why people use them, but I guess I feel they will just get in the way. Maybe I will sew in the grossgrain and not use them.

Am I forgetting anything? #3 zippers or #5? Bugnet using double zippers and the cover only needs singles? I figure 4 sets to allow me to zip on either side.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    ordered #3 zipper today hope to get it and build this by friday.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    Ok so I am finally going to take a stab at this. I think I got my ideas sorted out. It will be dl made from argon 1.6 ( I believe, or maybe I will mix my argon with hyperd). I will be making the head and foot triangle thingies and making them stuff pouches for bugnet and cover. I am thinking bug net stores at head and cover at feet. I dont have any of these to look at or observe online, for obvious reasons vendors dont always show the up close details.

So if I want to have the possibility of using both net and cover, I am thinking I sew one zipper into hammock body, pin and sew the net. Take the net off sew the second zipper to the first and then pin and sew the cover. My plans are to sew the cover inside of the net. For me the bugnet is a constant. The cover would be for warmth and privacy. So I would want to be able access the cover from inside.

My questions all settle around the rl and triangle thingies. I think I have most of my questions figured out, and feel sure if I dont I can figure it out. I want complete containment. So the rl will be inside, I need to sew the triangle thingies into the hammock in a way that doesnt have ant access. I am not sure I want the tie outs. I can see why people use them, but I guess I feel they will just get in the way. Maybe I will sew in the grossgrain and not use them.

Am I forgetting anything? #3 zippers or #5? Bugnet using double zippers and the cover only needs singles? I figure 4 sets to allow me to zip on either side.
    What part of the zipper are you planning to sew the second zipper to? The part that's attached to the body or the part attached to the net? It almost sounds to me like you're going to have two parallel zipper tracks attached to the body of the hammock. That might be a bit difficult to sew.

Might I make a suggestion?
    - Sew the first zipper to the body of the hammock.
    - Sew the second zipper to the opposite side of the first zipper (so if you unzip the first zipper, the second is unzipped).
    - Sew the bugnet to the intersection of the two zippers.
    - Sew the cover to the opposite side of the second zipper.
    This will allow you to use the bugnet and cover simultaneously. You can use JUST the bugnet if you like. However, you cannot use JUST the cover. BUT, it will give you the option of partially opening the cover and still having the bugnet closed, which will be great for venting or stargazing (much like our Peekaboo cover). Also, you only have to unzip one set of zippers to enter/exit.

Good luck! Hope it goes well for you! Let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: It's entirely possible I misunderstood your post, and that I suggested exactly what you were planning to do.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    you would be correct. I have been working this around in my head. I have come to the same conclusion about the zippers. I may not be making it the way other would want, because I will have the cover to the inside, but done so in the same manor you suggested. the cover will have zippers to the inside. the bugnet will have double sided zippers. for the most part the cover will be stored inside the triangle at the foot end. The bugnet can be stored in the head end. although the triangles will be put together they will be cut differently to accommodate the interaction between each part. For example the net will be attached to a squared triangle on the head end, but when it swings down to the foot end it will be attached to a more rounded piece. which will be over the squared part the cover is attached to, which when at the head end will be the rounded part, under the net. My English is as bad as my directions, which hopefully wont mess up my final product.

This is not going to be the lightest or maybe not the best design. I not only have never made an integrated net (which maybe I should have started with) but I also have not seen one up close. I have seen an older bmbh with a 2qz2 mod, and a rr, but not any of the others. I have seen pictures and videos, but very few get all up in the construction like would want to. Which I understand would lean on the proprietary nature of the product.

I am just mentally trying to take what I need/want and make if happen in this hammock. I am sure I will have to make adjustments to what i my head to get it to work. I may just make it with the net and then sew the cover on after. We shall see. Meck I appreciate the input and I may be sending you some PM's when I am working on it

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I'm having a hard time visualizing how you'll be able to have one cover zip to one end and the other to the opposite. If you attach the cover to the net, I think both will need to zip to the same end. In order to zip them to opposite ends, they'd have to be separate from each other, and sharing the same zipper track. But then, you'd have to do some funky work with the end triangles in order be able to share the zipper tracks. Basically, you'd need a separate zipper on the left and right side of the hammock, and some additional attachment to seek off at the triangles, like shock cord or omnitape (which can damage noseeum mesh).

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by meckelangelo View Post
    I'm having a hard time visualizing how you'll be able to have one cover zip to one end and the other to the opposite. If you attach the cover to the net, I think both will need to zip to the same end. In order to zip them to opposite ends, they'd have to be separate from each other, and sharing the same zipper track. But then, you'd have to do some funky work with the end triangles in order be able to share the zipper tracks. Basically, you'd need a separate zipper on the left and right side of the hammock, and some additional attachment to seek off at the triangles, like shock cord or omnitape (which can damage noseeum mesh).
    The best way to show it, is going to be after I made it. I am not sure everything I am planning will work. Each zipper will share time with a few other parts. it will be attached to the other zipper and also the triangles. then back to the other zipper. think of it as 2 separate things that share the edge walls.

Hopefully I will have the materials next week and the time to work on it. hopefully I can show it at the hang.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    My zippers took the long way to get here. Just got here now. No new hammock for the hang. But my wife and daughter are staying home so I am good to go this weekend.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    My zippers took the long way to get here. Just got here now. No new hammock for the hang. But my wife and daughter are staying home so I am good to go this weekend.
    Bummer dude... Well, keep me posted once you get to work on it!

We did send a Netty and an Envy to the Uwharrie (spelling?) hang, so make sure to check out the Peekaboo cover if you need any ideas. Gunner76 will be setting them up to show. Have fun!

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by meckelangelo View Post
    Bummer dude... Well, keep me posted once you get to work on it!

We did send a Netty and an Envy to the Uwharrie (spelling?) hang, so make sure to check out the Peekaboo cover if you need any ideas. Gunner76 will be setting them up to show. Have fun!
    that is the correct spelling. i will now have the luxury of looking at some real deals, before working on it. thanks again for the demos.

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    I am looking forward to seeing how you do this. Please keep us posted and pictures would be greatly appreciated!

RedStix

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast