Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

CRL or Tarp Flyz, pros and cons - I can't decide

Hello everybody!

So I am currently waiting for a new Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and their Edge tarp. Previously I have only used a Hennessy Hyperlight and so I think this is going to be a big step up.

For the XLC I am going with webbing/buckles and Dutch clips.

For the Edge tarp I have pretty much narrowed it down to two options. I think it's either the no hardware continuos ridge line as described in the ultimate hang. Or Tarp Flyz with Lash-it on each end of the tarp as sold by Dutchware.

I find it difficult to imagine different use scenarios so if anybody with more hammock experience could help me point out advantages and disadvantages with each system I would be very grateful!

Here's the no hardware system I've been looking at

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/05/r...k-no-hardware/

And this is the other one

http://dutchwaregear.com/flyz.html

Actually, come to think of it, I am definitely leaning towards the Flyz. So mainly what I am looking for are disadvantages with this system that I haven't thought of and advantages with the no hardware system that I might have missed.

Thank you!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have used both the CRL and the Tarp flies set up. I prefer the Tarp flies sets up.
    I do not need the CRL to hang things off of and can't really see a benefit other than that.
    Tarp flies much faster and easier to set up and take down (IMO). Like I said, I have used both, but really like using the Tarp flies.
    I permanently attached the tarp flies to my tarp using a loop of Zingit. I then just wrap zing it around the trees and attach the tarp flies. Makes it easy to adjust over the hammock also.
    Hope this helps.
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I have switched from a continuous rl to using two separate lines. Not sure if it is any easier or more difficult to set up but there is a lot less line to tangle when it comes to packing/unpacking. I would go with wasps instead of flyz though, both are great but fly are easier to secure the line and adjust.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have used a CLR with some hardware (not Dutch bling, though), and I have used several split ridgelines with Dutch hardware. I prefer hardware to knots because I found it WAY easier to pull my tarps taut, and it's idiotproof - not much thinking / remembering required.

There must be a thousand different ways to hang your tarp. I prefer this one. But I have a couple of Fleaz in the mail, so who knows - I might ditch my Stingerz

You could easily use Dutch hardware with a CLR, too. There are plenty of suggestions on the UltimateHang website. I like the one with Dutch hooks and tarp flyz, although I probably would use a Stinger instead of a Fly.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I forgot to say that if you're going for Dutch hardware, your line has to be fairly thin. It's best to go with the 1.75mm Lash/Zing-It that Dutch sells as well. A line that is thicker than that won't fit through the holes or around the antennas.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    +1 on the CRL with Dutch Hook and a Tarp Flyz. I use it with a Superfly. Setup and adjustment is fast and easy.

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    I too whooo for the crl with a Dutch hook and a tarp flyz. That's what I use on my current tarp. I got however a flea in the mail, just like hutzelbein, to replace the flyz on the crl for my new diy tarp I'm about to finish.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMJerry View Post
    I permanently attached the tarp flies to my tarp using a loop of Zingit. I then just wrap zing it around the trees and attach the tarp flies. Makes it easy to adjust over the hammock also.
    Hope this helps.
    Easy and simple. This is what I do.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I just bought some fleaz for my tarp as well. At under a gram each, what's not to like?
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    OK...well I'm going to be a voice of dissent. Nothing at all against Dutch, please don't take me wrong. I tried the Tarp Flyz & Dutch Hook on a ridgeline. I changed back to just using Fig 9s attached to a line on each 'end' of the tarp instead. The Flyz work fine, but they're very small. That makes using them in deep cold weather very fiddly for anyone who's ever had frostbite or limited feeling in your fingers. They were impossible for me to use with gloves on at all, and almost equally impossible to use without gloves, given the cold and my lack of feeling in my fingers.

They work great for a lot of folks, don't misread me. I'm just pointing out a circumstance where they weren't the best option for me personally. Thin line and small metallic hooks and grips aren't a good match with really cold weather and numb fingers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast