I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Parka or down vest over the footbox of hammock and TQ always do the trick for me.
    And loose wool socks.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Has anybody tried alpaca wool socks? Are they any better/worse than merino wool?
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have some alpaca wool socks, mine are lighter weight hiking socks but I've found I like them better than my other comparable merino wool socks just by the feel and I've found that mine have lasted many more miles... That is Probly just do to quality of different brands but I havnt been able to do direct head to head comparison of matching socks with just different material... I don't notice any difference in warmth though...

Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    Images
    I had a problem with my feet freezing the first time I hung. I went to Goodwill and found some "Heat" socks and wool socks. This stopped my feet from freezing. I realized my PLUQ didn't go under my feet so I went back to Goodwill and just happened to find a 50x80 down blanket. I folded it in half, tucked it in my PLUQ and attached it to my hammock and PLUQ with laundry clips. This helped my feet stay warm down to 28*. I also have a queen sized fleece blanket over my hammock which gives me a 20* increase inside my bear cave. This helps my whole body stay warm.

Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    Interesting! Iv'e experienced the same problem, feet getting cold, usually being wokeup by cold feet. I have made three changes to improve foot warmth. FIRST experiment I bought an inexpensive down jacket one size larger than I wear, got the injector out, sewed a stitch about 1/4" away from the shoulder seam on each sleeve. Then cut between those two stitches to seperate the sholder from the sleeves making three seperate items. two sleeves and a vest. Then sewed each shoulder end together leaving only the neck and bottom of the now made vest open. When I need extra warmth, I use this by pulling it over the footbox of my underquilt. SECOND, if my legs get chilled, I use the arms, which I sewed a stitch around the cut off ends (keeps the down in) and put them on like socks over my legs for more warmth. THIRD addition, When really cold I could feel coldness penetrating the fabric of my hammock in the foot box area ( using a WBBB hammock) which is normal because my underquilt does not extend to my foot, however I took a thin piece of nogahide (spelling is terrible) backed with and some polyester felt fabric, sewed to the back side of the pull over vest to block the coldness from radiating through the hammock into the footbox. it works, my feet are warm, legs are warm and I can remove in stages as temp's vary. Weight? Before adding backing to vest, almost nothing. If I'm packin and sitting around my hammock and need my insulation either on arms or legs, I have these down sleeves. They pack down to nothing, size of a softball.

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    Great thread. Awesome contributions!
    I am starting to realize that as long as I am well hydrated and I am eating like a Jedi my cold issues are coming down to 2 things. Constriction and slowly released body moisture. I agree with many on this thread. It doesn't matter what amazing material your socks are made of if they are not LOOSE FIT! And I have realized that my hands/wrists and feet regulate moisture bigtime! SilverSurfer is right! My biggest home run recently was TAKING OFF my socks and trusting my footbox. Once my feet could touch eachother I have had no problems. It's like mittens VS gloves. After buying and trying the best manmade and natural insulations known to man I am finding as long as my quilt is cinched if I sense any coolness or slight moisture at all removing the clothing and trusting the correctly rated top quilt has been working. You have to truly try this to find out if your working against yourself and and trying to find a solution by introducing problems! That being said my 20 and 0 underquilts are full length. Ounces well spent in those temps in my opinion. My 40 degree is3/4 though. Take off your socks!
    “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    If I'm worried about cold feet, I'll take these along: http://www.amazon.com/Baffin-Unisex-.../dp/B001E5CRK6

It's an extra 7oz to carry, but you're pretty much guaranteed warm feet. I typically bring them along if lows are 25 or below, BUT ONLY if that means for most of the night. So I'm talking deep winter here.

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    I have a 3/4 UQ that I prefer more then my full length. I carry a Thermarest sit pad and use it under my feet if I have problems.
    I refuse to be old! Life is too short to sit on the couch!! Let's go hanging!!

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    There are a lot of ways to keep your feet warm, down booties loose fitting wool socks. A lot of this depends on what works best for you. Just make sure what ever you use fits loosely.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ
    There is also the practice of using a vapor barrier on your feet to keep sweat and moisture from degrading your insulation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast