Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Keeping feet warm???

hi all,
    Don't know if this is the right place to post, please move if not. I have a 3/4 UGQ 20 degree Zeppelin UQ. I have a Big Agnes Fria 20 degree sleeping bag. I am 5 foot tall and thought the 3/4 length would be long enough. If I stretch out, my feet hang over the edge of the UQ by about 2 or 3 inches and my feet get cold. I wear wool socks, my feet still get cold.

I was wondering if there is another lightweight, homemade solution. I do not particularly want to stick a stiff foot pad in my sleeping bag. Any other ideas? Will something outside the bag work better than something inside the bag? I can sew. Any ideas? Thanks.
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

Hammock
    DIY Epsilon
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    hammock anchors
    My feet tend to sweat so I have a hard time in the cold if I am not careful about that.
    Is that part of your problem?

It will get annoying if you are camping out in the cold a lot, but I put hand warmers in my Boots when I hunt in Cold Weather.

They are pretty big but have you ever seen Arctic Shield Boot covers or Boot Blankets?
    You will be more successful though if you stop the cold BEFORE it gets in your bag.
    And 'mass' does the best job generally speaking.

Have you tried putting a reflector shield under your feet?
    And there are pads that aren't stiff but are still effective.
    I think Shug shows one in one of his videos.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a pad made of Reflectrix. I use is as a sit pad, put it under my feet at night if it's cold, and have even used to cure CBS in the middle of the night when I don't want to have to adjust my UQ. Another option is down booties.

I also use wool sock but found I was defeating their purpose because they were too snug. I got me a set about 3 sizes to big for me and use them for nothing but sleeping in. They worked pretty good for me. I like the big wool socks better than my down booties.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Inside your hammock, put both feet (with the wool socks on if you want) in one of these: your zipped up jacket, a vest, a (large) stuff sack, or a flannel pillow case. For me keeping the feet in the same insulation works well.
    If using a jacket or vest, they would go outside the TQ/sleeeping bag. If using the stuff sack/warm pillow case would go inside the TQ/SB. Thus you can use one of each.
    Also, if you are able to heat water read up on using a hot water bottle to supplement your insulation.
    Between these two methods you feet will stay warm without spending any $$.
    P.S. I'm 5'9" and my 3/4 UQ ends at the ankles. These are the two methods I use down to about 20F.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hello!
    Depending on your approach, if you are into minimalist or ultralightweight hiking, you can put something under your feet, anything will do, like your backpack or a jacket, or a rain poncho (even in the snow I like ponchos better than rain jackets, they are lighter and work as pack covers aswell so you save a ton of weight using a poncho since they have multiple uses. I think if you are using a jacket or poncho or any clothes, it's more effective to place them outside the sleeping bag under your feet, but it's more comfortable and easier to keep them in place inside the sleeping bag, so take a pick.

I don't like reflectix since it causes a lot of condensation for me, but if you camp in places where it's not above 80% relative humidity the reflectix will be the more effective option, and like others, you can use it as a place to sit in camp, or to place somewhere else if you have a cold spot.

Another thing you can do is use a regular CCF pad, if it's hard, just wrinkle it and treat it bad, so that it breaks and gets softer.

If any of the above are wet you have to get them to dry before getting them into the hammock of course.

I would not sew anything to the hammock cause it will take versatility away from your hammock, its your choice, but I don't have any advice on that.

Good luck

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    You could get one of these http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...Foot_Pad_.html Or you could make one out of reflectix or think yoga mat from WallyWorld.

Images
    Dry feet, don't forget to check between your toes, and clean dry socks.
    If that doesn't work try the hot water bottle trick or air activated hand warmers in between two pairs of over sized socks.
    hth

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    You might try a couple feet of 1/4 CCF cut the width of curvature of your hammock and about 18 inches long. Put it partially in your UQ and let it "extend" out a bit. I'll bet a UQ protector might help a bit as well.

Hammock
    Boone ShellHammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber w/d
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Cintch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrrka View Post
    hi all,
    Don't know if this is the right place to post, please move if not. I have a 3/4 UGQ 20 degree Zeppelin UQ. I have a Big Agnes Fria 20 degree sleeping bag. I am 5 foot tall and thought the 3/4 length would be long enough. If I stretch out, my feet hang over the edge of the UQ by about 2 or 3 inches and my feet get cold. I wear wool socks, my feet still get cold.

I was wondering if there is another lightweight, homemade solution. I do not particularly want to stick a stiff foot pad in my sleeping bag. Any other ideas? Will something outside the bag work better than something inside the bag? I can sew. Any ideas? Thanks.

I place a reflectix pad trimmed the edge with duct tape and fold it in half under my feet, and my clothing under my knees. Last trip I didn't even have to wear socks. I have seen some will wrap the end of there hammock with a down jacket.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    For colder weather sleeping I found a pair of Max Heat socks at Marks Workwarehouse that actually had an R rating for them on the package. I've never found clothing items with a stated thermal factor before!

The socks kept my feet warm once they were warm to start with. To warm them up after sitting around the campfire all evening with cold feet I used the little hand warmers and then moved them to other cold spots like my butt...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast