Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images

Vario Gala stand - any tips?

I realise there's a Vari stand thread already but most of it is took up with posts about a miss-priced Amazon sale so I hope it's OK to start another.

Mine came today. After a bit of faffing around I got it set up. (some of the threads were a bit awkward)

I currently have it set up in the back yard. and should be breaking it in tonight. since I'm taking it away to a week long juggling festival* on Monday and I don't want to end up on the floor.

I'm using a hook and loop hammock, the two supports are at max height, and in an attempt to keep my butt of the ground I've got the central section at minimum width. (not sure if this is the way to go, most pics seem to have it extended). With the short span I have had to unclip my ridge line and set a different sag, I think it's OK, tonight will see if that's true.

To suspend the hammock I've took two loops of dyneema and prussiced my ringbuckles as I want to keep my hanging options open. Adjustability comes from either tying the loop shorter or for little tweaks adding a loop or two to the prussic.

Having heard about stand flex affecting tarp tightnes and considering the choices of-
    a) Just tie it and live with it.
    b) Setting a weight such as a small pack or shoes to one end hanging down from the end to keep tension.
    c) Use of elastic at one end.

I went with C. and I'm trying a fairly heavy bit of shock-cord in a loop at one end. I've strung a spare guyline as a ridgeline and then attached the tarp above that. The ridgeline is not attached to the tarp which I know some would say is bad practice but it's a budget Quechuatarp so I'm not too worried in the short term. My main concern is to keep space above the hammock.

Long term to help with the height I think I'll use some extensions to gain tarp height, maybe some tubing set on the 'horn'.

So what am I missing, any thoughts/tips to smooth the learning curve?

Drop

*I got back from a big juggling event in Spain. Hammocks were all over the place. Pics and report of non hiking hammocking to follow at the end of the season

Images
    Is this the same as the Byer of Maine Vario? If so, I think you are on the right track having it as short as possible while still being able to fit whatever hammock you are using. Longer stand is going to equal more sag.

If this is like mine, as I think you already know, the bars flex a good 6" or more when I get in. With my Claytor No Net ( and No RL), this is zero problem. I just hang it with a bit less sag than normal, and when I get in everything is fine, and no problems staying off the ground.

With all of my hammocks that have a structural Ridge line, I have to tighten enough to cause the bars to flex some- or even a lot. Then when I get in the bars will still flex some more and the RL tension is usually about right, and I am still off the ground. My HH Safari, which REALLY hangs down low below it's RL, is the biggest challenge. No matter what I do with it, I end up about 2" above the ground bar. All my others are at least several inches higher than the Safari after I get in and cause more sag.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    There was way too much flex in my hammock stand. As soon as I laid down in the hammock, my bulk pulled the tips of the stand a good 6-12" closer together; completely messing up my lay.

What I ended up doing was "pre-compressing" the stand by running a ratchet and strap between the ends and cranking the ratchet until all the flex was gone. Then I installed my hammock. Essentially, the ratchet strap looked like a second ridge line.

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    I don't think I'm getting too much flex with my stand, I weigh somewhere in the 14-15 stone (200ish pounds?). But I'll keep that ratchet tip in mind.

I wonder if the Amazonas and Byer stands are made in the same factory or not.

I slept well last night and woke to a gale this morning. I thought I had enough tarp clearance but the wind was a strong one and was fairly pushing the tarp sides in.
    I'm considering some hind of spreader bar mod for my tarp possibly 2 curved tentpoles too curve the ridge line.

Thanks for the tips/thoughts guys. I'll get a spotter to see how much flex I'm getting but I think the elastic is doing its job as far as that goes.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    There was way too much flex in my hammock stand. As soon as I laid down in the hammock, my bulk pulled the tips of the stand a good 6-12" closer together; completely messing up my lay.

What I ended up doing was "pre-compressing" the stand by running a ratchet and strap between the ends and cranking the ratchet until all the flex was gone. Then I installed my hammock. Essentially, the ratchet strap looked like a second ridge line.
    Now that is an idea! Use a ratchet strap for pre-flex rather than my hammock RL! I'll try it.

Images

Thumbs up worked good!

Tried the ratchet strap, and it easily took 95% of the flex away. I got ust enough additional flex after I got in to cause the ratchet strap to then be slightly loose. Even with the low hanging Safari, I was suspended nicely off the ground after just pulling the HH Safari suspension snug. I was 5 or 6" higher than I had been before the straps.

Caution on release of ratchet, it is under a good bit of spring load from the flexed stand bars! Keep control over it to avoid a projectile.

BTW, the distance between the bars was about 12'4" to 6" before flexing with the strap, and 11 feet after. I am surprised this is enough length for the Safari, but it was plenty. At least without a tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Tried the ratchet strap, and it easily took 95% of the flex away.

Caution on release of ratchet, it is under a good bit of spring load from the flexed stand bars! Keep control over it to avoid a projectile.
    Glad to hear it worked for you. I'm also glad you added the warning. I forgot about that.

I made sure I was using a rated ratchet strap and not just a lightweight motorcycle one. Can you imagine the high-speed bullet the ratchet would make if that strap suddenly snapped?!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Glad to hear it worked for you. I'm also glad you added the warning. I forgot about that.

I made sure I was using a rated ratchet strap and not just a lightweight motorcycle one. Can you imagine the high-speed bullet the ratchet would make if that strap suddenly snapped?!
    The same end could probably be accomplished with a strong cord and a truckers hitch to cause enough pre-flex to solve the problems. And if something failed, their would be no potential ratchet bullet. But, I don't have any unused strong cord handy at the moment.

I went out and tried it with my Black Bird after ratcheting, and I was high and dry. At least as high off the ground as I normally am when hanging from the trees.

Hammock
    TTTM KING (short trips) GTN7 (Long)
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    S. Sniv & Hud R.
    Suspension
    SLS with woopies

Metal spreader bar for stand?

So, I'm in my TTTM king on the Vario hammock stand right now, and even with the truckers hitch on the webbing "Pre-flexing" the stand, there is 5" of sag and the webbing is drooping in my face.

Instead of pre-flexing the stand, would it work to make a pipe that goes from end to end that pushes outward? Maybe have a coupler in the middle to connect the two halves?

Yes it would be more work. Yes it would be heavier. Yes there would be a chance of hitting my head if I wasn't paying attention, but I wouldn't have to spend 20 minutes trying to yank and pull the supports to get the pre-flex"

Do you think this idea might work?

~Leif
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The nuclear generator of brain sludge is television." By Dave Barry

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    yes, it would work fine. pics please when done!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast