View Poll Results: What works best for you for cold weather hammocking?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bugnet

5 22.73%
  • Top Cover

6 27.27%
  • Hammock Sock

5 22.73%
  • Nothing But a tarp

6 27.27%
    Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Sock vs BugNet/UQ Protector

So over the past few years I have been trying various accessories for my hammock for cold weather camping. I have used hammock socks on a number of trips and they worked pretty good but the condensation can be an issue sometimes. My last hammock I made had a removable top cover/bugnet combination which was ok but I always just ended up using the bugnet rather than the top cover. I have since given that hammock to my hiking buddy and now I am going back to a hammock with an integrated bugnet on my next build.

I have found that the bug netting provides the perfect balance for blocking the winds that sneak around my tarp into my hammock but still allow ample air circulation. The bugnet in conjunction with an UQ protector seems to be a great balance for me in cold weather backpacking. But I am curious what others think.

What works best for you in cold weather hammocking?

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I voted, but as this is the only way I go it was a no brainer. I am going to put together my next hammock and tarp. I am diy positive and although I have made many things for other people, I have not for myself. I am still using the same gear I started with. I plan on making a dl with sewn in bugnet, but I also wanted to have the option of a top cover or combo without stealing from Hammecks peekaboo design. I am not a moist sleeper. When its been really cold I have pulled the hood from my mommy bag up over my head. Never had ice or wet stuff. I also just perfected keeping my mouth closed while sleeping, by using a buff like a tooth wrap. But all this is why I havent made one yet. I am still rolling it around in my feeble mind.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You didn't specify what you mean by "cold" I'm not hanging (or camping) in winter, so cold for me means something between 50°F to 32°F. For those conditions, a sock worked fine for me. Better than a top cover, which felt stuffy. Still have to try out an uqp, though.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I voted, but as this is the only way I go it was a no brainer. I am going to put together my next hammock and tarp. I am diy positive and although I have made many things for other people, I have not for myself. I am still using the same gear I started with. I plan on making a dl with sewn in bugnet, but I also wanted to have the option of a top cover or combo without stealing from Hammecks peekaboo design. I am not a moist sleeper. When its been really cold I have pulled the hood from my mommy bag up over my head. Never had ice or wet stuff. I also just perfected keeping my mouth closed while sleeping, by using a buff like a tooth wrap. But all this is why I havent made one yet. I am still rolling it around in my feeble mind.

Well I wouldnt worry about stealing the peekaboo design. It was already being used long before Hammeck starting selling it. lol...It worked pretty good. Fun project too..

Top Cover with built in bugnet vent
    DSC01071b.jpg

Hammock
    DH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Toggles
    I am fine with just the tarp, though living near coastal California, I tend to have a pretty different definition of "cold" than many other hangers!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Well I wouldnt worry about stealing the peekaboo design. It was already being used long before Hammeck starting selling it. lol...It worked pretty good. Fun project too..

Top Cover with built in bugnet vent
    DSC01071b.jpg
    I agree, many other before us pushed us to this point. very little that we can do at this point isn't a copy from a copy. I think is i was doing it just for help from the cold. I would do the sock. it is the easiest to make. easy in and easy out and easy to vent if needed. I also like having the extra space under me to put stuff like I do now with my wilderness logic bug net.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I agree, many other before us pushed us to this point. very little that we can do at this point isn't a copy from a copy. I think is i was doing it just for help from the cold. I would do the sock. it is the easiest to make. easy in and easy out and easy to vent if needed. I also like having the extra space under me to put stuff like I do now with my wilderness logic bug net.

Yeah I always liked how the sock could hold stuff also.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you are getting condensation in your sock, I'm wondering if you are using a trap too? Unless it is really cold in the below freezing zone, I can't image getting condensation inside the sock if it is under a tarp - especially if the tarp is stung close to the hammock. In that configuration it is like a tent with a rainfly. If you just have the sock exposed to the black night sky, that is like a single wall tent and those are notorius for their condensation challenges.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I use a DIY Tyvek sock/Pod from the neck down and a HUG bug net to warm the face.
    Keeps the breath out of the insulation, yet warms the face. Eliminates wind.
    My UQP and HUG bug net is a close 2nd for most conditions, but when cold and high winds = sock/HUG weather.
    Pods are wonderful things for the extreme cold.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    What is "cold"? To me, it's Minnesota Frozen Butt Hang "cold" at below zero temps. For that, a canvas sock works for me.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

• + New Posts