Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

No longer offering 1.0 and 1.1 fabrics?

I just saw on the website Dream Hammock is no longer offering 1.0 and 1.1 fabric hammocks. Why are the fabrics no longer offered?

Have there been failures? Under what conditions? Just wanted more info if it was available. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I believe the problem comes when non-hammock forums people buy his hammocks and are too rough on them and then complain
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!

seems you could still get a double layer with those fabrics...

I wouldn't think of a single with lightweight fabric like this but that doesn't mean Darwin doesn't help someone else with the same "specs" (heavy and tall) do it.
    Last edited by autolox; 10-18-2014 at 08:55.
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the responses.

Great clarification: Not offering the SINGLE layer

Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome 1.6 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I guess that will make my single layer 1.1 Roaming Gnome a collector's item.

--Peter

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm glad to see PapaSmurf came around to my way of thinking, 'cause I no longer sleep in single layer 1.1 oz. hammocks. Just too fragile for my rotund 160 lb. lardbutt.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm glad to see PapaSmurf came around to my way of thinking, 'cause I no longer sleep in single layer 1.1 oz. hammocks. Just too fragile for my rotund 160 lb. lardbutt.
    No, what I agree to build for others not necessarily what I would choose for myself.
    Like you, I lean toward fabrics that will provide a little more durability and longer life.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    I believe the problem comes when non-hammock forums people buy his hammocks and are too rough on them and then complain
    While I respect their desire to go ultralight, I'm not gonna indefinitely sponsor the attempt.

Had a gentleman contact me to order a hammock "by the ounce and cubic inch".
    Didn't care what size, color, fabric or anything else. It just had to weigh less than a certain amount and pack smaller than a certain size. Ahhh... no thanks.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by autolox View Post

I wouldn't think of a single with lightweight fabric like this but that doesn't mean Darwin doesn't help someone else with the same "specs" (heavy and tall) do it.
    I got one for each of my kids. But they weigh 70 and 50 pounds when they got them. Should be ale to use them for many years before needing heavier duty ones. Helps keep their oak weights down.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm not a noob, but I may do noob things when it comes to 1.1 oz. single layer hammocks. I think those that are successful probably treat the single layer 1.1 oz. hammock like a metal detector - carefully insuring that they have absolutely nothing that could damage the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    No, what I agree to build for others not necessarily what I would choose for myself.
    Like you, I lean toward fabrics that will provide a little more durability and longer life.

While I respect their desire to go ultralight, I'm not gonna indefinitely sponsor the attempt.

Had a gentleman contact me to order a hammock "by the ounce and cubic inch".
    Didn't care what size, color, fabric or anything else. It just had to weigh less than a certain amount and pack smaller than a certain size. Ahhh... no thanks.
    I actually thought about discontinuing my use of 1.1 oz single layer hammocks about the same time you stopped producing the Darien UL.

Can you elaborate any further on why you won't make the single layer 1.0 and 1.1 oz. hammocks anymore? I'm also curious as to what kind of failures people have had.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Can you elaborate any further on why you won't make the single layer 1.0 and 1.1 oz. hammocks anymore? I'm also curious as to what kind of failures people have had.
    It's funny, we've got folks out doing the PCT & AT in these same hammocks. I know of one particular hammock that has multiple long hikes on it and is perfectly fine. The hammocks and fabrics are identical, the user weights are the same or similar. The experience level is the only thing that's vastly different.

It's common for people to start seeing some separation of fibers at the sewn channels. You may see stress areas from heels or elbows digging into the fabric. Seeing these types of stresses is probably a good indication that it's time to retire and/or replace you hammock.

Also physical damage such as snags, scuffs & abrasions can weaken the fabric enough to cause failure. One of the most common types of damage is from snagging the netting and/or body fabric in the zipper.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast